IGNORED

Question about Powerstar by Pandora

boxpressed

I just bought a loose copy of Powerstar on eBay, and only afterward did I learn that it might be a reproduction from Video 61. I read the thread about Video 61 repros, but I couldn't tell whether Video 61 is selling new old stock or is making reproductions. If the latter is true, I guess the most important question I have is whether you can tell the original from the repro. Thanks for any advice.

Video 61 doesn't do boxes for repros. if it's got a box, chances are it's real. Powerstar never had a spectacular label, it was always a low budget publication, so that's probably the real deal there, It looks the same as the old ads (artwork).

The cart looks legit. The cart case is the right colour and type, and the label looks exactly right, although it's unusual to see one sold unboxed.

Someone found a bunch of them years back, and pretty much every one I've seen sold has been CIB. The label is a wraparound type, and has quite a bit of text on the flipside, as well as on the end. Rather than post pics of the flipside (which might encourage more repros) can you weigh your cart?

It is best to ask questions before you purchase if your are not sure what you are buying. ;)

deathtrappomegranate is right that it is a legit cart. I have seen enough of those carts to tell you it is real, even without a box, so don't worry about it, you have a nice cart. It is probably without a box, just like most cartridges, more people toss the boxes than keep them. It would cost a bootlegger an arm and a leg to get everything right, it just isn't worth copying.

Video 61 does make reproductions and their own creations, as well as sell NIB (new in box)/NOS (new old stock) items. I don't know anything about someone finding a bunch of POWERSTARs anywhere. AFAIK Video 61 purchased the POWERSTAR cartridges from Pandora. They bought Pandora's remaining POWERSTAR stock when Pandora went out of buisiness. Pandora shut down in the middle of production like many cartridge makers so it is probable that they didn't have boxes for all of the cartridges that were completed. The NIB POWERSTAR boxes from Video 61 are not sealed, so don't be upset if you buy one and it arrives that way. Some of Video 61's reproductions & creations come in poor fitting cases, which in my opinion has damaged their reputation enough without people thinking all of their items are reproductons. I understand that the cases are the best he can get that will work for those games so it is nice that he is able to make them at all. Lance, please correct me if I got any of it wrong and thanks again for the items I got in the past.

that is a legit cartridge of powerstar. the president of pandora software told me that there were only about 775 of them made in 1985. so you got a rare one. i not only purchased pandora"s remaining inventory many many years ago, i also acquired the rights to the game. once i run out of the originals, i will be releasing them as my own.

of course i know i do not do a bang up job on my releases. i was involved in the very first home brew, harry dodgsons monitor cartridge for the 7800. in those days, there was no real help out there, so we were flying by the seat of our pants. and trying to keep costs down. so i still keep my costs down, which makes many customers happy.

i did find some better packaging though, and it will help keep the prices down. so thanks all for the business.

lance

www.atarisales.com

• Like 1