IGNORED

Atari 2600 Prototype ID Activision, Atari, Telesys More

Atari2600.com

Hi everyone! After 2 hours of searching to find this thread again, I finally found it and wanted to give it a bump. I now own and have possession of the exact prototype (or protojunk) that Atari2600.com (JC) was asking about in this thread. I mean down to the writing on the label of River Raid. I was curious if it was a smart buy or a bad decision on my part. I have 28 different titles total on the long PCBs and 3 small ones (5200 I believe) that I bought separately. If anyone is interested in making my day or ruining it, let me know you are still alive and I would be more than happy to share pics and/or a game list with everyone on this forum to chime in on.

I'm kind of a jack of all trades, master of none type guy, so please excuse my ignorance on these artifacts. Also, I grew up on the NES and in arcades, so this is a little out of my comfort zone. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Kind regards,

redeyelou

• Like 1

Taking pics and uploading them right now. Give me a few. Also, not all the boards are from the same PCB manufacturer. I think Frogger has a MVP NVF factory stamp (they put them right where the friggin' chips are). A couple appear to have gold contacts, including Frogger. Don't think its a garage job myself.

Edited by redeyelou

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7alN4U9-J65RTBtRFhQMFFpN0U

Here are some better high res pics of everything. Let me know if you need more specific close ups. Most chips are AMD or National Semiconductor I believe. The two that are upside down are Mouse Trap and Warlords. The sticker is removed on one of the EPROMs so I was trying to minimize any light exposure. Wondering if there is a snowball's chance in hell if the Atlantis is actually Atlantis II. Don't have a 2600 here at the moment (but have access to one), and didn't want to test until I got some expert opinions. I have no idea on the three 5200 boards except I was told one is Centipede, one is not functioning, and the third is working but not sure of the game.

Hope I made a good pickup....apologies on the double post.

Edited by redeyelou

All three of the 5200 PCBs say 'OAK' with the hollowed out and split 'O' font on the boards, so I guess as previously mentioned in this thread they are Oak Mitsui Technologies. Still somewhat Greek to me. Most of the 2600 boards just have one letter (excluding Frogger and Grand Prix which have 'NVF'). It's either a fancy 'J or 'P' or lowercase 'r'. Will do some more research. Also plan to add more pics in the Drive link above. Any specific requests for close ups of anything? Can someone comfort me and tell me I didn't waste my money? I do plan to dump anything that could potentially be unknown if I am so lucky to have that. Then I probably will send to VGA to encapsulate/authenticate. Thanks for helping out folks. :-)

All three of the 5200 PCBs say 'OAK' with the hollowed out and split 'O' font on the boards, so I guess as previously mentioned in this thread they are Oak Mitsui Technologies. Still somewhat Greek to me. Most of the 2600 boards just have one letter (excluding Frogger and Grand Prix which have 'NVF'). It's either a fancy 'J or 'P' or lowercase 'r'. Will do some more research. Also plan to add more pics in the Drive link above. Any specific requests for close ups of anything? Can someone comfort me and tell me I didn't waste my money? I do plan to dump anything that could potentially be unknown if I am so lucky to have that. Then I probably will send to VGA to encapsulate/authenticate. Thanks for helping out folks. :-)

Please don't send them to VGA. They really don't have a clue what they are doing. It's just a money grab, especially with protos. They have no expertise to be authenticating or grading them in any manor.

• Like 4

OK. Fair enough. I won't send them to VGA. I am here for any and all advice. I ultimately want to do the right thing with these, whether it's getting them dumped and then doing whatever like keeping, trading or selling them. I am not a die hard Atari person, but I have enough respect for these and collectors to find out what they are and get them to the right person one way or another. I paid ~$500 on the all of the long boards and ~$30 total for the 3 5200 PCBs. Guess I did much better with the 5200 ones based on interest. Also, I feel pretty strongly the 5200s have gold contacts, as do the Frogger and Grand Prix. Any thoughts on this? Any idea on the other 2 fab houses and if they are legit? As always, thanks again for everyone's advice. I really do appreciate it.

• Like 1

OK. Fair enough. I won't send them to VGA. I am here for any and all advice. I ultimately want to do the right thing with these, whether it's getting them dumped and then doing whatever like keeping, trading or selling them. I am not a die hard Atari person, but I have enough respect for these and collectors to find out what they are and get them to the right person one way or another. I paid ~$500 on the all of the long boards and ~$30 total for the 3 5200 PCBs. Guess I did much better with the 5200 ones based on interest. Also, I feel pretty strongly the 5200s have gold contacts, as do the Frogger and Grand Prix. Any thoughts on this? Any idea on the other 2 fab houses and if they are legit? As always, thanks again for everyone's advice. I really do appreciate it.

It will make a world of difference if the 5200 games work and what is on them.

Just wanted to update everyone on where I'm at in this process of testing these potential protos. I have been scouring eBay, Craigslist, etc. for a damn working 5200 console in nice shape (preferably boxed since I am a collector in general). One of my best friends has a 2600 I should be able to grab this evening if necessary. Not trying to go off topic, but does anyone have an extra they want to sell me at a reasonable price (boxed or loose w/ cables/controllers)? I could pay via Paypal, and would be comfortable doing so blindly, pending a respected member or two here vouches they are honest. Would also be open to trades, I deal in antiques, collectibles, and more current gen gaming. Not trying to solicit, just need a freakin' 5200 as of two days ago. The only 5200 in my area on Craigslist is http://raleigh.craigslist.org/clt/5767199715.html This person is trying to beat me over the head. FML.

I was hoping to do a quick test of each proto, dump them with proper assistance, and then do some decent videos of testing this stuff and put them up on YouTube for everyone to check out. Of course I will immediately share with the forum what I have before I go through the time of uploading videos and all that crap. Would also give forum members first dibs on the protos within reason. I plan on selling/trading most and maybe keeping a couple for my personal collection. Once I get some consoles over here, I may have a couple other potential protos to share with the group that I have not mentioned yet. Thank you all (again) and just added a pic of another possible proto to my Drive folder to maybe stir the pot. Take care, everyone!

Another update...added some good close ups of the Mattel PCB (2600, right?) to the Google Drive link as well as some additional loose EPROMS (labels are coming off and are mixed up a bit, going to be fun to sort out) and a switch I got with the loose EPROMS. I did go ahead and buy a 5200 system and a 2600 system, so hopefully by mid-week I will be able to actually test some stuff. As always, any input is appreciated. I have a thought on what the Mattel game is, but rather than being incorrect and looking even more ignorant, I will leave it to you folks to figure out until my consoles get here. I will keep checking back on here to see if I can provide any additional info to help with identification.

So here is what I got from the possible 5200 protos (OAK PCBs):

2x Centipede

1x Unknown Atari game - boots to splash screen with "Copyright '19__' " The last 2 digits are missing. On the first boot, it glitched into a similar screen with the 'S' in the bottom right corner. On second boot after cleaning terminals, it had a Pac-Man looking sprite in the bottom right in a different spot. Also notice the misspelling of 'Copyright' in one of the photos. Glitch and/or needs repair? Thoughts?

Added some more crappy pics to my Drive link also. Will get some better ones soon. About to test out some 2600 stuff now.

So after a lot of tinkering, got the third 5200 PCB to boot and...another Centipede - so all 3 are the same game (correct on the booting glitch Ksarul). My controller is jacked up, so gonna get another 5200 controller unless I can fix mine to further test (can't fire!). Wondering if there is any possibility that they are different revisions. No noticeable differences that tip me to that theory. Planning on putting them up on eBay soon after a little more testing (may keep 1 PCB if all 3 are identical revisions, will sell all 3 if they are not). Did notice the on board chip for all 3 has a tiny 'L' hidden in there. Will add a close up of this to my Drive soon.

Tested the all the 2600 PCBs. All appear to be final, but I certainly was not thorough. All worked first try except the Enduro and that damn Mattel PCB (it has very tiny contacts). Not sure if it is that board or the Enduro EPROM that is the issue. Will try the Mattel one again later. Planning on listing most of these on eBay individually with any additional EPROM of the same game. Also, plan on keeping maybe 5 or 6 for myself to add to my collection. When I have some time, I will try switching those duplicate chips to test the loose EPROMs. May need some assistance to make sure I don't just start putting EPROMs in any random board. Trying to preserve anything I got. Also confirmed Atlantis is not Atlantis II (one can always be optimistic, right?)

I'm a little hesitant, but is it worth removing the stickers on the loose EPROMs to check the chip manufacturer/models and date codes? Anyone have any estimated values for any of this stuff? Thanks again to everyone for your time and sharing your insight.

Another update...been testing this stuff and getting ready to list them on eBay (same name on there). Will probably keep a few of these for my collection and share the rest with whoever wants to buy them (unless someone has NES protos for trade, any NES protos really - Maniac Mansion or Baseball Stars anyone? or any proto games with Luigi in the game since that is my name?). Debating if pics would suffice or if I need to do videos for the listing...so this bring me to yet another question:

I will probably list Pitfall first (about damn time I make money off Activision instead of the other way around). I swapped the EPROMs to the loose ones I acquired and was playing it and noticed something odd. Keep in mind that I never really played this much and got embarrassed by my wife when she came down to the man cave and said "Oh, your playing Pitfall! Grab the rope, so I can hear that cool sound again." Mind blown. I digress, so I got to the first snake after the 3 crocs and there was a log there instead. Glitch, normal, or possible earlier build? Can make a video if anyone wants to see, but everyone here knows the difference between a log and a snake. Also, any duplicate EPROMs seem to be manufactured in a different country from the first set (including Malaysia, Singapore, and the Philippines). Not sure that makes any difference really.

Still fighting the Mattel PCB to get it to at least load the opening screen. Contacts are half the width of normal PCBs, so it's a PITA. Any advice on using a 2600 adapter for another console or techniques to widen the contacts without damaging it? I got Intellivison(s), INTV III (made with refurbished parts?!?!), a 5200, TI-99, and a Commodore 64 as far as old consoles. Need to research the adapters and their reliability more myself when I have time.

Also, some of the loose EPROMs are missing labels, so I covered the windows to keep them safe. Other than dumping them, any harm in just testing them in a random long board?

Let me know if anyone has any requests for the next few games to test and list. As of now, I'm planning on keeping Donkey Kong, Atlantis, Skiing (Activision), Dragon Fire (not labeled 'Dragonfire', but it is handwritten), Stampede, Outlaw, Fast Food, Grand Prix,and the Mattel PCB until I figure out what game it is, and maybe a few loose EPROMs. Also debating if I should list both EPROM sets with Pitfall - which I think I will do.

Always appreciate any insight, suggestions, or back-handed smart-ass comments. Take care everyone.

I have a few more updates:

Since the Enduro PCB/EPROMs were not working, I went to test a loose set of EPROMs I had and noticed the letters 'RN' in a logo type font on the chip sockets once I removed the Enduro chips. Uploaded a pic of this to my Drive link above. Is this possibly RNB Enterprises Inc. out of Phoenix, AZ? Would that be consistent with these boards?

Also, the first round of these I'm selling on is up on eBay to help me recoup some of the costs. Link below is for Pitfall! with both sets of EPROMs, you can find the other ones for sale from there if anyone is interested. Less than 24 hours left on the first batch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152252826131?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Still trying to figure out that Mattel game. I may order a 2600 adapter for another compatible system since the PCB is a bit thin and I think it is just not making proper contact. Any recommendations on adapters and what may have tighter or more reliable contacts?