IGNORED

Was Satan's Hollow ever released?...

ataridave

I don't know anyone who has an original Atari 8-bit cartridge of Satan's Hollow. If anyone does, please let me know, I'd like to buy it. There are plenty of reproductions, I think Nir, Al, and Lance made some of them. As far as I know it was programmed but not released on cartridge.

Edited by Defender II

• 4 weeks later...

It's a finished prototype. The game was advertized but never released.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Ah, that's too bad. Thanks for the info! I'm surprised Atari Sales hasn't made a cart of it. They did do one of Xevious, which was also a prototype.

Well,

how about a cart. from Video 61:

http://members.tcq.net/video61/compnew.html

$19,95 for Satan`s Hollow like many other A8 carts there...

I already have one of them in my collection.

-Andreas Koch.

It's a finished prototype. The game was advertized but never released.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Ah, that's too bad. Thanks for the info! I'm surprised Atari Sales hasn't made a cart of it. They did do one of Xevious, which was also a prototype.

Well,

how about a cart. from Video 61:

http://members.tcq.n...61/compnew.html

$19,95 for Satan`s Hollow like many other A8 carts there...

I already have one of them in my collection.

-Andreas Koch.

OK, thanks for the link!! :)

It's among my favorite arcade games along with Pooyan, but the Atari 8-bit version is rather poor in my opinion. My favorite home conversion is definitely the C-64 version. The Atari 8-bit version is just missing too much of the feel of the original.

• 8 months later...

Why in the world did this sell for $600? The label appears to be one of those Best or B&C labels (same as the logo's, etc that they produced). I've seen this label a few times (not atari printed label).

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FATARI-Satans-Hollow-Cartridge-400-800-800XL-130XE-65XE-1200XL-XL-XE-XEGS-8-bit-%2F181085793895%3F_trksid%3Dp2047675.l2557%26ssPageName%3DSTRK%253AMEWAX%253AIT%26nma%3Dtrue%26si%3DBja08NashsOJcWKX1N8wigIAXv8%25253D%26orig_cvip%3Dtrue%26rt%3Dnc

I have a repro to. I also had one of these.

This auction doesn't open the cart up to show the chips and board. I know that these were just made using old casings.

I believe this would have been a CBS (not Atari) release, but I could be wrong.

Nice looking label either way.

It is a nice label, but you can see that the copyright info is cut off. I think it was B&C that had this labeled version available at one time. Albert did you distribute your version through them? anyone? How many did you make?

Those black labels, someone had rolls of them :)

Atariprotos.com doesn't have it listed? It would be nice to see the real prototype. I feel bad for the person that bought that auction.

It is a nice label, but you can see that the copyright info is cut off. I think it was B&C that had this labeled version available at one time. Albert did you distribute your version through them? anyone? How many did you make?

I'm almost 100% certain that I made this particular cartridge. I didn't distribute them through anyone else. They were sold in the AtariAge Store for a period of time. There aren't a ton of them floating around.

Those black labels, someone had rolls of them :)

These labels were printed on a color laser printer, with custom blank 8-bit label sheets I had produced. I could make more of these at any time. If someone ever spots another one of these "rare" games up on eBay, please let me know and I'll put one up with a cheap BIN.

..Al

• Like 6

I made this cartridge. It's unfortunate to see how the seller advertised it, and that it was bid up to $600. :(

I believe this would have been a CBS (not Atari) release, but I could be wrong.

Exactly. Satan's Hollow with an Atari label? I don't know how anyone would think this was anything other than a reproduction. I'm sorry, but in situations like this, I really don't feel sorry for the buyer at all. It is unfortunate how the seller advertised it, but sellers unknowingly list "rare" items all the time out of ignorance, and that seems to be the case here. In the end, the onus is on the collector to be knowledgeable about what he or she is buying. I don't how any logical person spends hundreds of dollars on something of uncertain origins.

And it's not like it was an impulse purchase via 'Buy It Now' on the part of the buyer. The seller put a very high reserve on the item and one person simply bid higher and higher until the reserve was met. If you look at the bid history, you'll see that the next highest bid by anyone other than the winner was only $25. As the buyer, if you don't notice that you're the only one who's willing to pay hundreds of dollars for something, then there's something wrong.

• Like 2

Exactly. Satan's Hollow with an Atari label? I don't know how anyone would think this was anything other than a reproduction. I'm sorry, but in situations like this, I really don't feel sorry for the buyer at all. Sellers unknowingly list "rare" items all the time out of ignorance, and that seems to be the case here. In the end, the onus is on the collector to be knowledgeable about what he or she is buying. I don't how any logical person spends hundreds of dollars on something of uncertain origins.

And it's not like it was an impulse purchase via 'Buy It Now' on the part of the buyer. The seller put a very high reserve on the item and one person simply bid higher and higher until the reserve was met. If you look at the bid history, you'll see that the next highest bid by anyone other than the winner was only $25. As the buyer, if you don't notice that you're the only one who's willing to pay hundreds of dollars for something, then there's something wrong.

This seller is more than aware of what they had. They totally misrepresented it. This seller deals with some of the most rare carts on the market, andhe has a personal collection of even rarer carts. Look at what they have listed currently. The ad was listed that way (CBS) on purpose to mislead any buyers that have no idea what they are doing. And it's a shame that someone would do that. So please don't think that this seller had no idea of what they were doing. They were smart, they not once stated it was a prototype, etc. That will be his position, I didn't say anything. And I guess that was true. But then again all of us have been taken at least once in our lives :(

Edited by chrislynn5

Old question I know, but I'm 99% sure that Vanguard is a 5200 conversion someone did. Vanguard was planned for the 8-bit, but I've never seen a real prototype for it.

I'll be selling off all my 8-bit homebrews (Satans Hallow included) as soon as I get my Incognito board working.

I was watching that auction and figured it was legit since it had high bids on it. Now that I know you can get a cheap repro I'll have to get a copy. :) Satan's Hollow is one of the games that needed more ports. It is such a great arcade game.

Send me a PM, I'd be glad to hook you up. I also have these "vintage" labels for:

- The Last Starfighter

- Jr. Pac-Man

- Wing War

- Quick Step

- Blue-Print

- Laser Gates

..Al