IGNORED

8bit Pac-man "Arcade" - Final Version - Accepting Orders

tep392

Pac-Man #2 safely arrived in Switzerland, thank you.

I never enjoyed original Pac-Man on A8.

Perry's version is awesome.

Moreover, the score saving feature adds longevity to the game.

I hope in the future I'll have the chance to buy an enhanced Ms. Pac-Man too.

Is there a way to play in "1 player" mode? Because everytime I start the game it's 2 players and no function key seems to change it.

EDIT:

SIDE & SDX were the guilty one. Running it using MSDOS loader helped ;)

Edited by Jacques

The next batch of 25 carts are ready. If anyone hasn't PM'd me their shipping address yet, please do so. I'll need your address to calculate shipping. If your in the US, I'm going to ship USPS Priority, which is a flat $5.

Also, I don't know if I gave MrFish proper thanks. He deserves a lot of credit for helping get this game finished. He did all the graphics design and a ton of play testing to help get the bugs worked out. THANKS MrFish!

TEP392

So far I've only managed to reach the second intermission once. I have attached my high score shot. I have cartridge #7.

Friggin awesome by the way!

And to think that I used to actually enjoy the Atari version :)

Fletch

post-3523-0-14487200-1336525805_thumb.jpg

Think I got 100k+ when we played it in HSC earlier this year but that ofcourse doesn't count!

52k to beat then think I only managed about 30-40k last night.

I definitely enjoyed the Atari version, it was the first video game me and my brother had and for a while the only game we had! This updated version is obviously better but much harder

I have a complaint about Arcade Pac-Man. Your little pac-man eats a power pill and gobbles a ghost, the ghost correctly goes to the penalty pen in the middle, or ghost box, or whatever the heck you call it. But the ghost is supposed to hang out in there for a few seconds. Instead these little jerks are just running out of the box almost instantly, and stopping me from getting McKong and Fletch scores. ;)

• Like 1

I have a complaint about Arcade Pac-Man. Your little pac-man eats a power pill and gobbles a ghost, the ghost correctly goes to the penalty pen in the middle, or ghost box, or whatever the heck you call it. But the ghost is supposed to hang out in there for a few seconds. Instead these little jerks are just running out of the box almost instantly, and stopping me from getting McKong and Fletch scores. ;)

Sorry, but I have to disagree. There are dot counters and a timer that are used to control when the ghosts leave the pen. When the counter/timer hits it's limit, the ghosts will leave immediately. The counter limits decrease over the first couple levels so they will leave the pen as soon as the level starts. I guess you'll just have to practice a little more. ;)

Got mine. Played original A8 Pac-man to re-acquaint myself, then popped in Perry's new version. Wow. What a difference. Played a while, died, restarted. Got 40k so far, did not see a 2nd intermission yet. Then I put in original A8 Pac-man again ... UGH! I will never play that version again. So slow, so stretched, so dull! I never realized!

When I put in Pac-man "Arcade", and saw the beautiful Pac-man picture followed by the coin-op intro screen, a collective "Woah!" could be heard from us in the room. This game is really fast - the Sega Genesis pad is probably not the best controller, I need to get a stick. Awesome job!

I want to thank everyone for all the compliments. I had a lot of fun working on this and it turned out much better than I had originally thought. :)

I just want to explain something about the memory requirements. The game could run in 16k of ram if I had configured it to run on a standard bank switching cart like the XEGS carts. The main game code will fit in 16k of rom and the startup and intro screens could be done with 8k banks. The XEGS cart maps into the 16k of ROM space from 0x8000-0xBFFF. But a major design requirement was to use a flash cart so I could save the high score. The Maxflash cart I'm using can only map into the 8k rom space from 0xA000 - 0xBFFF, so the remaining 8k of code has to be copied to and run out of RAM. I could have made it run with 24k of RAM, but going 48k simplified the code a lot, so I went that route.

So this game could have been done back in the day and run on a 16k machine using XEGS cart technology. To Atari's credit, they did a great job with Ms. Pac-man. That is what this version was based off of after all. I would imangine that they had to cut some corners in development due to time constraints and pressure to get the game released. I didn't have those constraints.

TEP392

Edited by tep392
  • Like 3