IGNORED

Season 9 Round 3 - Xevious

CGQuarterly

59,300 I still stink.
If I can get past the first big ship where the black balls appear and shoot at you without dieing I usually do pretty well.
I'm having a really hard time with that part.

I used to pooch that part until I realized that all you have to do is keep moving, wait out the big burst of fire and you'll see a gap where the black disappearing orbs stop...then just move in a drop a bomb. Once you get the hang of it, it's no problem.

The best way I've found to deke out the orbs is to keep moving, almost circular patterns. Keep moving a direction as if they were on the screen the whole time, and then their bullets can't really track you.

Not sure about Sol towers as I'm not sure what those are.

I'm not sure if I'm being too aggressive in this game. I find myself trying to kill everything on the screen most of the time (usually end up getting killed doing stupid things). Anyone playing more conservatively?

I tried it and all it did was let me progress almost as far, but with less points. The only good thing is that you don't have to worry about more advanced ships until later, which gives you some more time to look around for those hidden items. But the points you get from the ships is worth it, because even if you know where the towers and flags are, they're not always in the easiest places due to bullets and ships.

Keep doing whatever it is you're doing. Did you get to those larger black orbs that explode in a star pattern? I got rocked by those guys and couldn't get further. Apparently, the Sol towers are worth mucho points...I can't seem to find any, but I did find a flag (worth a free man, I think).

005.jpg

Another update score.

I won't explain where the flags and Sol towers are (I barely know myself), you can google them if you want (I don't want to spoil anything for ya, in case you want to find out stuff on your own).

They are essentially easter eggs, hidden throughout the levels. The flags are bonus lives, and they look like the flags from Rally X. The Sol towers are, well, they look like small towers, from above, lol. You find each by bombing. The Sols are in the same spots, but the flags are always in a horizontal row...where along the row, that part is random. You gotta keep bombing to find out where it is. When you find the flag, just touch it. The towers, however, you have to bomb. They're worth a lot of points.

Xevious seems like one of those games that Namco did around the Mappy and Galaga era, which means that to get the really high scores, ya gotta find out the secrets or consistently do the bonus waves (like Galaga's bonus round, Mappy with the balloons). To get into the stratosphere, you need to get good at those levels.

In Xevious, the problem is first finding the locations, and then actually being able to destroy them or touch the flag. That is really tough to do when there's bullets flying all around you, but if you learn the exact locations I think that's the only way to get the really high scores. Unless, like in Galaga, you've got crazy dodging skills. Those later Xevious levels are all about remembering where the tricky spots are, planning ahead, and making sure you're fending off the flyers...all the time.

I've never spent this much time with Xevious, and it's a great little game. I hope I can get in the top three this time, but who knows? You can find the locations of the towers and flags, but to be honest, it's still a gamble. It's like going for the fourth ghost, or the banana in Ms Pac Man: sometimes the greed gets you dead a lot faster than smarter, conservative play. But to get the REALLY high scores, I think it's a must.

Edited by atarilovesyou

The Sols are there, but like you mentioned about the flags, they're just as likely to get you killed going for them. Ya gotta have da skillz!...I sure don't, I can only get one consistently. But if you put up a score like the one you just did without the Sols, then even getting three would be worth your while!

Now I gotta go back and try to top your score, gah!

PS: those big exploding black balls are pure evil. There's a pattern to the bullets but you have to be really quick; I haven't made it past them yet. I'm pretty sure they're the 80's way of telling us, "Yer quarter is up, beat it".

Edited by atarilovesyou

Well, made it a bit further but as soon as the exploding large black orb showed up, that's it: death became me. I might try another attempt tomorrow, but I'm beginning to get too frustrated with some aspects of the game...and I wish I never found out about those secret flags and towers, lol!...well, all but two of them. Deathchasers, they are.

Well, made it a bit further but as soon as the exploding large black orb showed up, that's it: death became me. I might try another attempt tomorrow, but I'm beginning to get too frustrated with some aspects of the game...and I wish I never found out about those secret flags and towers, lol!...well, all but two of them. Deathchasers, they are.

Yeah, my wife probably thinks I'm crazy when she hears me yelling at the TV :-D

It eventually starts throwing out these enemies that explode into a dozen bullets, very, very quickly. That caught me off-guard at first. Also, the last section I got to has enemies coming from behind. Ugh.

post-24675-0-59763900-1335903306_thumb.jpg

GAH!...200k?!?!?....you are insane!...and I can imagine the game throwing enemies from behind but does it give you any chance? I still can't figure out the dozen bullet weirdos. With only a few hours to go, I think your new record is safe...but I'll give it a few more tries!

My suggestion to everyone is as the game gets more difficult, stay towards the bottom of the screen. There were a few situations where I moved towards the top of the screen, but found out the hard way that you can't move into the top quarter of the screen (while the enemies can), making dodging up there difficult. Also, when dodging, focus on bobbing left and right with no diagonals. You move faster that way, and are slower if you try to go diagonally. I'm trying to think of other tips, but can't really think of any. Just play smart I guess. :P

*edit: after this round, I think I have a newfound respect for this game. I never did care for this game much on any platform, thinking it was too basic, but after giving it a good bit of time, it's pretty fun, especially when you have other music playing in the background. I'm going to have to spend some time with the 7800 version (as well as the one I just downloaded on the 3DS).

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

It eventually starts throwing out these enemies that explode into a dozen bullets, very, very quickly. That caught me off-guard at first. Also, the last section I got to has enemies coming from behind. Ugh.

post-24675-0-59763900-1335903306_thumb.jpg

GAH!...200k?!?!?....you are insane!...and I can imagine the game throwing enemies from behind but does it give you any chance? I still can't figure out the dozen bullet weirdos. With only a few hours to go, I think your new record is safe...but I'll give it a few more tries!

200k I could hope to beat. I'll try a few more times tomorrow but I don't see myself getting past 280k.

Good job Austin. I also think your record is pretty safe but I'll try a few times tomorrow to see if I can get lucky.

One question though. Did you get any flags or towers when you got your high score? I find myself doing worse when I distract myself trying to go for the one flag I know about.

Good tips, Austin. The only thing I don't like about maintaining a lower position is that the speed of the enemies always increases, yet your own ship has a constant speed. I guess I didn't notice the drop of speed in the diagonals; I'll try to apply that next time! Also, being at the bottom means you have to use crrrraaazzzy dodge skils because all those angry bases are going to spitting out a ton of bullets...if you're a bit higher you can take them out.

Then again, I didn't score +200k !!! :-D So any help you can offer, I'm gonna try!

Myself, I usually get one tower and two flags. The towers usually get me killed, but even just finding it nets 2000 points (another 2000 for destroying it). The flags are nice for bonus lives, but bonus lives can be thrown away with lackluster play...as I discovered on my last try, lol!...you know you got rocked when your're dead before the intro music finishes!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by towers or flags. I did kill two of those big battleship whatever-you-call-it things (you have to shoot the four small targets before shooting the core in the center, while avoiding those black balls that turn into bullets). The points they give you aren't much in the long scheme of things.

I'm not sure what you mean by towers or flags. I did kill two of those big battleship whatever-you-call-it things (you have to shoot the four small targets before shooting the core in the center, while avoiding those black balls that turn into bullets). The points they give you aren't much in the long scheme of things.

That's ok, I think you answered his question!...you'd know if you found the hidden flags and towers. If you got that score without them, then that just goes to show what can be done!

Read my above posts for descriptions, but I don't want to spoil anything in case you don't want to know...they're just hidden items worth extra points and lives.

That's ok, I think you answered his question!...you'd know if you found the hidden flags and towers. If you got that score without them, then that just goes to show what can be done!

Read my above posts for descriptions, but I don't want to spoil anything in case you don't want to know...they're just hidden items worth extra points and lives.

Ah, okay, I see. No, I haven't found any hidden icons of the sort. I had a suspicion that there might be something like that, but I wasn't able to find anything. How do you access them? :)

Ah, okay, I see. No, I haven't found any hidden icons of the sort. I had a suspicion that there might be something like that, but I wasn't able to find anything. How do you access them? :)

So this video is from another version of Xevious but I have found a flag in the exact same spot as the video linked below. I haven't found one sol tower. The flags give one extra life each and the sol towers apparantly give a lot of points.

The only other description of a location of a flag I've found is the lake after the first set of spinning walls has one you can hit. Not sure if thats true or not as I haven't hit anything.

Honestly even going for the one flag I know about seems to get me killed more often than I actually get it and even if I do get it going for it gets me killed.

Basically I'd continue to ignore them all together.

• Like 1

I haven't been hitting the four small targets first. I just avoid the bullets untill the black balls that turn into bullets stop and then hit the center of the ship. It seems to destroy the four small targets.