IGNORED

Season 9 Round 3 - Xevious

CGQuarterly

Nice, that video clears things up. Those are definitely hidden all right, and I definitely did not find them! :lol:

Whenever your sight goes over a hidden location, it kinda flashes red (subtle, gotta watch for it). That's how one could search em' out without bombing everywhere...but the flags are random, unlike the video shows. They are always in the same horizontal row, but you gotta bomb all over to find it. He just lucked out.

Whenever your sight goes over a hidden location, it kinda flashes red (subtle, gotta watch for it). That's how one could search em' out without bombing everywhere...but the flags are random, unlike the video shows. They are always in the same horizontal row, but you gotta bomb all over to find it. He just lucked out.

Do you have to bomb for the flag though? It doesn't look like he did it in the video. It's like it immediately appeared after he found the tower.

On a side note, I spent some time with the 3D Classics upgrade to the arcade Xevious, available for the 3DS via Nintendo's download shop. It's pretty sweet, with extra clouds on the side to intensify the 3D effect. There is also an auto-fire option, which is very nice (especially considering the 3DS is a rather cramped system, especially when playing d-pad heavy games like this). Funny enough, playing it makes me realize how true to the arcade game the NES version is. Granted, there are some land formations missing (like the phoenix-esque looking drawing in the sand), but it's still pretty damn close. The enemy formations are basically the same between both versions as far as I can tell. :)

*edit: Oh, ok, he did bomb--the top part of his screen was out of his camera's view, so I didn't notice the bomb drop the first time I watched it (too focused on the tower, haha).

Edited by Austin

Do you have to bomb for the flag though? It doesn't look like he did it in the video. It's like it immediately appeared after he found the tower.

On a side note, I spent some time with the 3D Classics upgrade to the arcade Xevious, available for the 3DS via Nintendo's download shop. It's pretty sweet, with extra clouds on the side to intensify the 3D effect. There is also an auto-fire option, which is very nice (especially considering the 3DS is a rather cramped system, especially when playing d-pad heavy games like this). Funny enough, playing it makes me realize how true to the arcade game the NES version is. Granted, there are some land formations missing (like the phoenix-esque looking drawing in the sand), but it's still pretty damn close. The enemy formations are basically the same between both versions as far as I can tell. :)

*edit: Oh, ok, he did bomb--the top part of his screen was out of his camera's view, so I didn't notice the bomb drop the first time I watched it (too focused on the tower, haha).

Yup, the Nazca lines (that's what they're supposed to be, or so I've read) are not in the NES version...which is kinda odd considering they're just...lines. Maybe they were steering clear of any Inca curses?...but that never stopped Konami from incurring the Wrath of the Easter Island Spirits with their abuses of those Moai heads...

Yes, ya gotta bomb to uncover the secret stuff.

But with your top score, how far did you get?...did you get to see another one of those Motherships? Like you, I've got new respect for Xevious. I gotta take a break from it now, but maybe next year some the HSC will revisit it again.

But with your top score, how far did you get?...did you get to see another one of those Motherships? Like you, I've got new respect for Xevious. I gotta take a break from it now, but maybe next year some the HSC will revisit it again.

I got past the second battleship. Got to the point where enemies finally start coming up from behind, but that's where I got a Game Over. The balls that split open into a dozen or two bullets were coming out more regularly at that point.