IGNORED

HSC Round 4.32: Q*Bert's Qubes

Q*Bert's Qubes

Qbert jumps from cube to cube, causing the cube to spin and change to a different color. The cubes have a different color on each side. Every level has a different cube pattern.

-klov

Game Information

Game Name: Q*Bert's Qubes

Released By: Mylstar 1983

MAME ROMset: QBertQub

Dip Switches: 1st Bonus Life:10000 Additional Bonus Life: 20000 Difficulty: Normal (default)

Chosen By: patbb

ROM Location: http://www.romnation...erts-Qubes.html

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Record:

Competition ends Sunday, May 6th @ 12PM EST

Leaderboard

237,730 Kurt_Woloch

107,205 bigbee99

101,575 Cynicaster

99,180 kane

97,645 jblenkle

69,935 patbb

68,535 M.A.M.E Offender

56,260 roadrunner

Season Standings

Calculations through round 31

1. M.A.M.E Offender 492

2. bigbee99 481

3. Cynicaster 450

4. patbb 263

5. kane 194

6. mr. toast 166

7. roadrunner 130

8. acelkin 117

9. JohnnyBlaze 110

10. LarcenTyler 87

11. richard stewart 78

12. Barra 66

13. kojr 39

13. keilbaca 39

15. jblenkle 31

16. retrorussell 27

17. mightymage 23

18. onmode-ky 17

19. rmaerz 16

20. homerwannabee 15

21. NE146 8

22. chuckwalla 6

22. Raygunn 6

24. Kurt_Woloch 3

25. Fres 1

Edited by bigbee99

Nice run. Any pointers for LEvel 4 and on?

Well, not specifically for Level 4 and on, but...

for me, the game really only begins at Level 3. Before that, it's pretty easy to complete a line (I usually complete the one running from the top to the left) without much disturbance, that is before Coily makes it to hatch. In between, you get two bonus rounds, which are really opportunities to rack up big points if you complete them in time or be as quick as possible. This is easy with the first one. With the second one, I look out for some specific patterns. On that round, the cubes have got three colors, and I really memorized the possible combinations and the moves to solve them, more or less. On that round you have to bring the brown side to the front and the purple side to the right (I refer to the visible sides as being front, right and top, the way they are displayed). I usually look out where the brown side is on each cube. Referring to the key movements in MAME, if you already have the brown side on front, you only have to hit "right" on that cube. With the brown side on top, you hit "down", and if the right side is yellow, an additional "left". With the brown side on the right, you hit "left - down", and if the top initially was yellow, an additional "left". That's all possibilities there are.

From Level 3 and up, I usually look for qubes that already have either the front or right side correct because you only have to turn them one way repeatedly in order to get them right. Even better is if two adjacent qubes have the same side correct, and they are positioned in a way that jumping from one to another doesn't change that. For instance, in Jblenke's last picture, that would be the two identical qubes on the line from top to left, which both of them have the right side correctly red. Going to the lower one and jumping up two times turns both qubes right. If they were turned a different way, but still both with the red side on the right, I'd repeatedly jump back and forth between them until they both are turned right (of course only if no enemy is in the way).

The really important sides here are the front and right because one of them stays fixed when you leave a cube while the top always moves. The next best thing is a qube where a side visibly can be brought to the correct position with only one jump, such as the red side being on top when it belongs to the right side. Those have the second priority after the ones above because performing the correct jump on them brings them into a position where they can be treated like the first category of qubes.

As for the enemies, I'd try to catch the frog (or turtle?) because it slows down all the enemies, making them easier to avoid for a time. While this extra, which only works for some seconds, is still active, usually the green ball will appear, and I will go for that as well since it stops the enemies for a few seconds.

As for the lines, I found the outer ones on the bottom the easiest to complete. I'll always try to go for the line from right to bottom (from Level 3, Round 3 on), then for the line from left to bottom. They cross at the lowest qube, so that's only 9 qubes to fix if you need 2 correct lines (or less if some are already fixed in the first two rounds of a level). But sometimes that's difficult, so I'll just try to fix whatever qubes are easiest and then see which qubes are still missing to complete a line with the lowest effort.

And remember that you can get rid of Coily by letting it hop onto a qube that's just turning. To achieve that, let Coily follow you and when it's only one step away, jump away from your cube after Coily has started the last jump towards you. If enemies are slowed down, however, you'll have to wait a bit, otherwise when Coily lands on your previous qube, the qube will have stopped turning and Coily won't fall down.

From Level 6 on, already fixed qubes will un-fix as somebody hops on them again. To fix those, I'll usually go for the line from right to bottom again, but this time, all the qubes first should be turned so that the front shows the correct color. This is easiest by doing it in sequence from top to bottom or vice-versa. As soon as a qube front shows the correct color, it should only be left to the left, not to the front or back. When all qube fronts are correct, the remaining sides should be turned right by entering them from the left and jumping back left again repeatedly.

• Like 1

This game scores high on originality. Interesting sequel to QBert. I find it gets very confusing after level 3-3.

I worked a lot this week, so I didn't really have much time to put into this one.

In the later levels, I'll bet you if you're good at the ol Rubix cube, then you'll be a master at this one. Kurt, u happen to be good at the Rubix cube?

Here are my 2 games I managed to squeeze in:

Qubes Pubes ---- post-29539-0-25291100-1336305435_thumb.jpg ------ 68,535

In the later levels, I'll bet you if you're good at the ol Rubix cube, then you'll be a master at this one. Kurt, u happen to be good at the Rubix cube?

Well, I was good at it as a kid... I got it at the age of 9 and mastered it, even finding a move of my own speeding up the process. I got down to an average time of under 1:30 for Rubik's Cube. At 10 years of age, I entered a cubing contest at a local department store and finished 4th. But I guess I'm not so fast anymore since I don't remember all the moves. Haven't fixed one in a long time. As a prize, I got a Babylon Tower at that contest, and I managed to master that as well, but not as fast as the cube. But then Nintendo's Game & Watch games came about, and I lost interest in cubing...

107,205!

At the buzzer!

B

Hey, stop stealing my move! ;)

Well played.

I saw MAME O's score and decided now was my chance to catch up in the standings some. Honestly, I was thinking he was going to do the same thing.

Onto KLAX. I think you know this one Cyn :P

B

107,205!

At the buzzer!

B

Well played.

I saw MAME O's score and decided now was my chance to catch up in the standings some. Honestly, I was thinking he was going to do the same thing.

Onto KLAX. I think you know this one Cyn :P

B

Did I request that one? I think I did. Haven't played it much since my Lynx days; no better time than the present to brush up.

107,205!

At the buzzer!

B

Well played.

B

Not a good week for me. :(

I hope I can somewhat hang in there thru Klax.