IGNORED

2 different Pacman versions?

NE146

• 4 months later...

Then what is that 2nd image of then which does have the realistic sound? i.e. Pacman (Atari 82).atr.

Is it a hack? icon_confused.gif

I *DO* realize that I'm quoting a post from 2005 here. :P

The version of Pac-Man with the more "realistic" munching sound is the Datasoft disk (and possibly cassette?) release of the game. The same version was also released in the UK by US Gold. It has the intermission animations included as well.

I am still on the hunt for an A8 conversion of the 5200 release.

• Like 1

I have this very rare version, that was going around South America and cannot find nowhere in the net. This version seems to be a 5200 conversion or the original for computers with intermissions.

I was trying this out today. I am pretty sure that it is not the 5200 version because the ghost AI on the 5200 is a bit "smarter" than on the 8Bit version and they move just slightly faster on the 5200 as well. It is, however, not the Datasoft version either because the "munch" sounds are the same as the released Atari versions of the game (5200 and 8Bit). I am not entirely sure what this is but, because it has an Atari copyright and "option" and "select" key choices, I am going to guess that it is perhaps an unreleased Atari prototype. Totally a guess but I can't figure out what else it could possibly be since it contains different elements of both the A8 and 5200 releases.

• Like 1

That is an interesting version. It has the attract screen with the names of the ghosts and Pac-man coming out to eat the power pellet. The ghost patterns also look like the Datasoft version. It's just the munch sound that is off. I wonder if this is the version that Datasoft used as the basis of their release. Maybe it was an internal Atari prototype.

• Like 1