IGNORED

What is your Genesis emulation setup?

MagitekAngel

I know I know, nothing beats original hardware. I've got three genesis consoles and probably close to 50 games for the things. But I also play emulators, and tend to spend the most time emulating the Sega Genesis.

I used to use Gens Plus on my PC and later Kega Fusion, but never quite got over playing the games on my computer monitor. Since then I've switched to the Wii for my Genesis emulation needs. I use Genesis Plus GX on one of those clunky big screen TVs from the early 90s on wheels, and it feels just like playing the real thing. The Gamecube controller is a good fit for Genesis, because the B, A, and X buttons line up at the same angle as the A, B, and C buttons on an old 3-button pad. As far as I know, Genesis Plus GX doesn't support Sega CD or 32x, but I never really played any of those games anyway, so no real loss for me. Except maybe for Sonic CD. But I can get that on XBLA now with a better soundtrack. :)

I don't generally use emulation, but when I do, I have a modded Xbox that's fully loaded, and I made a custom controller setup for it so that I can use a few re-wired classic controllers that I made. Playing the emus that way, set up properly, also best mimics RGB on an HDTV.

Chris

Since Xbox cannot properly display 240p old school modes I deleted anything emulation related from it. Till someone hacks its video encoder so that it does what Wii and PS2 do, it is out of question for me. But I have the real Mega Drive console with RGB scart lead, and plans to build custom emulation system based on multi-sync arcade monitor.

Edited by maiki

I just installed Richard Bannister's Genesis Plus for Mac OS X last week. I've been using some of his other emulators recently (Mugrat for Coleco, Nestopia for NES, and others) and they seem a bit easier to use than most other emulators, once you figure everything out, of course. There's insufficient explanation at first, and there are still some annoying things like having to place a helper file in the appropriate directory in the Library to get everything working properly.

At least when you've figured out how to use one of his emulators, it helps you with the others because the user interface is pretty much the same across all of them. That's what I really like about using his emulators.

None of them are perfect, some of them are quite incomplete, but some of them are quite good. I wish he would update them more frequently, but I'm sure he has a day job. I'm grateful that they exist for Mac. Emulation on Mac is a pain compared to PC. (But rebooting into Windows just to play a game is also a pain...)

Edited by BillyHW

• 2 weeks later...
I just installed Richard Bannister's Genesis Plus for Mac OS X last week.

Does the current version of GP still have the collision detection bug in Shadow of the Beast, or the crazy music bug in Thunder Force II?

I feel ambivalent about Bannister's work. I'm glad it exists, but with so many emulators to support, he's not that assiduous about updating and fixing bugs, and some of his releases are gimped when compared to the Windows equivalents -- no Voice support in O2Em, for example. He also pushes his Emulator Enhancer pretty hard, and people have grumbled that he's trying to make money from functionality that's already available for free in the Windows/Linux versions. That said, he's one of the few who are supporting emulation on the Mac, so we're lucky to have him.

Anyway, I almost never use Genesis emulators anymore since I have an EverDrive and tons of games, but when I do it's Genesis Plus, or I'll try Generator for the handful of ROMs that don't work with Genesis Plus. (I'm still on PPC Mac so that's about all I can use.) I'll bust those out once in a while when I want to practice a particularly nasty section in a game.

I usually use Kega or the Wii.

There was one emulator that let you overclock a tiny bit that I liked for games like Road Rash, but I can't remember which one it was. It was nice, and I don't know why more emulators don't support it.

• 2 weeks later...