IGNORED

HSC Round 4.33: Klax

Klax (set 1)

Klax is a 1989 computer puzzle game designed by Dave Akers and Mark Stephen Pierce. The object is to line up colored blocks into rows of similar colors to make them disappear, similar to Columns. Atari Games originally released it as a coin-op follow up to Tetris, about which they were tangled in a legal dispute at the time.

-wiki

Game Information

Game Name: Klax (set 1)

Released By: Atari 1989

MAME ROMset: klax

Dip Switches: Default

Chosen By: Cynicaster

ROM Location: http://www.romnation...Klax-set-1.html

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Record: 213,935 mr. toast

Competition ends Sunday, May 13th @ 12PM EST

Leaderboard (to post #38)

1,115,660 BillyHW

964,933 patbb

845,970 Cynicaster

435,843 jblenkle

276,280 roadrunner

264,885 kane

235,780 bigbee99

112,879 MAME Offender

24,515 LArcenTyler

Season Standings

Calculations through round 32

1. M.A.M.E Offender 495

2. bigbee99 493

3. Cynicaster 460

4. patbb 267

5. kane 204

6. mr. toast 166

7. roadrunner 132

8. acelkin 117

9. JohnnyBlaze 110

10. LarcenTyler 87

11. richard stewart 78

12. Barra 66

13. kojr 39

13. keilbaca 39

15. jblenkle 37

16. retrorussell 27

17. mightymage 23

18. Kurt_Woloch 18

19. onmode-ky 17

20. rmaerz 16

21. homerwannabee 15

22. NE146 8

23. chuckwalla 6

23. Raygunn 6

25. Fres 1

Edited by bigbee99

I have never played Klax before, ever. If I had know about the choices at the start I might would have said something, but since I didn't, any setting is fine. I started my game on Wave 11. As you can see, I just barely made it past that wave.

B

Man this game is like crack. It's my favourite puzzle game, I like it better than Tetris. But it's so hard. I actually saw this and played it in the arcade once in the early 90s, but I still like the Lynx version better, which I own.

Interesting game facts:

1. It was originally written for Amiga, and then picked up by Atari and back-ported to the arcade. Virtually every system and computer out there then got a port.

2. There are 100 waves. I wonder if anyone has finished it. (I wonder what the ending is like. Maybe when I have time I'll check out if my PC MAME has a cheat mode to get there.)

3. A few versions (like the NES version) allow you to keep dropping tiles after your first one scores a klax, making it easier to create chain reactions after the fact if you're quick about it.

4. Wiki says that the Atari 2600 port of Klax was the last official commercial release for that system (FWIW). (I wonder how they managed with the limited colours.)

5. They actually ported this to the black and white (green and yellow, sort of) Game Boy. Instead of different colours, the tiles have different patterns. Ugh.

Edited by BillyHW

I just tried the C64 version, but it suffers from poor controls. Clicking once to the left or right will often move you two spaces, which pretty much kills the game. The sound is also disappointing and the backgrounds don't change. Some colours also have to be doubled up with patterns, which is annoying. Not a great port. Too bad, because the C64 could have done so much better than this if programmed well.