IGNORED

Vectrex - Sound but No Picture

gnnash

Hello,

I just purchased a Vectrex at a garage sale (not a very good idea with a final exam tomorrow, but I couldn't pass it up). Fortunately for my studying but unfortunately for me, there is no picture displayed, though sound is played properly.

I have no buzz from the speaker, I'm assuming because the CRT is not functioning, and so isn't inducing any noise in the speaker wire.

Are there any common issues that would cause this? I have general electronics knowledge, so am not shy to poke around inside (I am going to school for Electrical Enginering), but am not familiar with CRT operation.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

My thoughts exactly.

I suggest you find yourself a local TV Repair Shop, see if the owner has white hair, if not go find another shop. I like my doctors and my TV Repair Guy to have white hair, that means that have lots of experience.

• Like 2

You have tried adjusting the dial on the back of the unit to change the brightness? The later units "fixed" the hum issue so it might be one of them instead.

Yep, the brightness pot has no effect. I am able to see a dim glow at the rear of the tube through the vent holes... should this be brighter?

Wish I knew electronics...

My guess is that being able a see a glow at the rear of the tube is a good sign, but I'm not sure...

Good Luck, and keep us informed on the progress..

Fingers crossed this Vec will be saved!! :-)

desiv

p.s. Perhaps asking some of the more technical minded guys in the Arcade forums here? Arcade guys sometimes are familiar with monitor work???

Hello,

I just purchased a Vectrex at a garage sale (not a very good idea with a final exam tomorrow, but I couldn't pass it up). Fortunately for my studying but unfortunately for me, there is no picture displayed, though sound is played properly.

I have no buzz from the speaker, I'm assuming because the CRT is not functioning, and so isn't inducing any noise in the speaker wire.

Are there any common issues that would cause this? I have general electronics knowledge, so am not shy to poke around inside (I am going to school for Electrical Enginering), but am not familiar with CRT operation.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

When you put the brightness up do you see a white dot in the centre? If so thats a typical problem - see the following which I copied from the Vectrex FAQ:

7.4) My Vectrex just shows a white dot when I turn it on. I can hear the

game playing but there is no picture. Can I fix it?

There is 1 common problem that will cause this symptom. Inside the unit

there is a 4-wire power connector connecting the side board to the

bottom board. Often units with no picture have bad solder joints on

this connector. Try resoldering the pins and see if that helps.

I dont have a dot on the screen, no matter what position the brightness knob is in.

Unfortunately, I just moved back from school, so haven't had a chance to open it up yet. Tomorrow I'll open it, clean it out and reseat any chips and connectors I can see. Will post my results.

Update - I was able to fix it. With the help of the service manual, I traced things back to the power switch / volume knob. One of the two poles on the switch was working, the other wasn't.

Took apart the switch, cleaned it with some tuner cleaner, reassembled, and all is well! I also shot some tuner cleaner into the volume pot part of the switch, so I have no scratchy sound when adjusting the volume.