IGNORED

Season 9 Round 5 - Balloon Fight

CGQuarterly

WOW over 600k! It did feel like he? could of keep going at the end instead of killing himself off.

I might be wrong but I think this game caps in the 600k range.

I have a day off tomorrow so I'll see what I can crank out.

I'm really dreading playing RC ProAM....haven't ever really played it but popped it in a few days ago and it definetely isn't my type of game.

Check out this video of a 200k score

Watch it closely at the 0:21 second mark. He should of died but didn't. :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRylMq3y9UU

Yep, that's what I'm talking about...who can really tell what's real out there when you can use cheats? Anybody who has played the trip knows that even getting to rank #1 will take some work to do. That music is beginning to drive me nuts, lol!

WOW over 600k! It did feel like he? could of keep going at the end instead of killing himself off.

I might be wrong but I think this game caps in the 600k range.

I have a day off tomorrow so I'll see what I can crank out.

I'm really dreading playing RC ProAM....haven't ever really played it but popped it in a few days ago and it definetely isn't my type of game.

...that's good news for MEEEEEE, woooohooo!!! :grin: (just buggin, you'll see....you'll get the hang of it pretty quick)

Here's a bit of improvement:

001-3.jpg

Much like Galaga, those bonus levels are worth MUCHO points; and the point value increases as the levels go up! I think I made it to the seventh bonus round with this score...yet I only managed to get 20 ONCE. And much like Galaga, if 19s were 20s, I'd have crushed this score. It seems pretty random, as I've seen the first level be much more difficult than the third or fourth.

Also, has anybody noticed that at times during the bonus rounds, it's almost like the gravity gets more 'touchy'?...I've noticed it during the Balloon Trip as well. I don't know, it's just like your dude gets harder to control and what only required a few flaps prior gets a lot more sensitive to inputs the later rounds (or time in, as during the Trip).

I wasn't able to increase my score on the Trip, but I'm looking forward to seeing some of yours...to GAIN MY RESPECT, that is! :grin:

This game is one of those where I think my first few attempts were the best because I didn't realize the difficulty. Those sparks get stupid hard to dodge later on, and the birds regenerate a lot quicker. Luck seems to play a big factor...and when you've only got one balloon, you're just praying for that bonus round so you can get back to two balloons! And I'm pretty sure I've confirmed there's no free lives to be had. But I'm not sure about the quality of my ROM, as during the Trip, the balloons don't seem to have the same colours I see on the youtube vids.

Definitely a fun little game, but not one that I can take in big doses. Very representative of its time, but that's kinda refreshing. I don't know who voted this on in but I'm glad they did! I recall Satoshi Matrix included this game in his top 100 and now I see why.

Well there goes the neighbourhood!...lol, I'm not sure how I'm going to better my last score but I'll try!...any tips? I've been working harder to make sure I get those bubbles as often as possible, sometimes going out of my may for them. They're 500 pts each, one bubble for each dude you take out.

Also, do most of you guys use the rapid flap B button or the single A?...I almost always use B for quick response.

I try to stay at the top as much as possible. I've been almost ignoring the bubbles. On that score I did really well on the bonus stages. I've been using the b button pretty much exclusively.

I hate lighting. Most of my deaths are from lightning spawning right on top of me so I've been trying to pay really close attention to the clouds. Also the lightning doesn't screen wrap so I try to use that to my benefit and stay as far away from it as possible.

I try to stay at the top as much as possible. I've been almost ignoring the bubbles. On that score I did really well on the bonus stages. I've been using the b button pretty much exclusively.

I hate lighting. Most of my deaths are from lightning spawning right on top of me so I've been trying to pay really close attention to the clouds. Also the lightning doesn't screen wrap so I try to use that to my benefit and stay as far away from it as possible.

That's how I played the first few games, sticking to the top...but every now and then I'd get a bad bounce and lose a balloon, so I tried other tactics....nothing works as well as the top stuff. And the lightening ticks me off too, it gets quite fast (I can only imagine at your point level how quick they are). I find that clearing as many birds in the first 3 seconds can be crucial to a quick stage clear, but you have to be precise.

How are you at the bonus rounds?

That's how I played the first few games, sticking to the top...but every now and then I'd get a bad bounce and lose a balloon, so I tried other tactics....nothing works as well as the top stuff. And the lightening ticks me off too, it gets quite fast (I can only imagine at your point level how quick they are). I find that clearing as many birds in the first 3 seconds can be crucial to a quick stage clear, but you have to be precise.

How are you at the bonus rounds?

I'm getting all the balloons more often than not. once they get up to 30k it helps to boost your score a ton.

I think I'm suffering from the more I play the worse I get syndrome. I'll post a pic of whatever my best score ends up being. I'm hoping I can get higher than 600k

Oh yeah and getting the perfect bonus on as many bonus stages is really important. Think of it as one perfect bonus stage = 60 bubbles.

Edited by PeculiarSatyr

I hear ya on the bonuses. The later the round, the bigger the bonus! I wish I remember what phase I got to, but you only see it when you hit pause. It musta been at least 21, since I saw the 7th bonus round and that's every three levels. I could be wrong though.

If you racked up that 500k score by now, you're doing fine and I commend your skills...but to GAIN MY RESPECT, you have to put up a Balloon Trip score! :grin: