IGNORED

Odyssey^2 Not Working: Bad System or Bad Power Supply?

Tempest

My beloved O2 decided to die on me a few weeks ago. I have no idea what happened, one moment it was working but the next time I turned it on I got nothing. Obviously it's either the unit or the power supply, but how do I determine which? My gut says it's the power supply since I don't feel it getting warm if I leave it plugged in, but that's not a great way to determine what the problem is. I do have a cheapo volt meter, but I'm not 100% sure how to use it to see if the PS is working (it has a lot of settings I don't want to fry anything).

1. Can I get a replacement power supply at Radio Shack? The output is 11.5 VAC/400ma and the input is: 115VAC 60HZ 12W

2. Is there an easy way to test if the power supply is working?

I do have the second O2, but it's the model with the non-hardwired controllers. I was going to try and test that one out but I ran into two problems:

1. I don't have a power supply for it and I don't know what kind it takes.

2. The video plug (I assume it's the video plug as it's in the same position as the one on the other Odyssey) is really odd looking. It's a long metal plug with a notch cut out of it and it doesn't fit into an RCA style socket. Is there a special kind of switchbox that the second O2 used or is this some kind of odd special plug?

Here's a great page that shows how easy it is to mod the original O2 to use a standard RF plug: http://www.ozyr.com/o2/tvcordhk.html

Save the original cord because it can be used to connect an original Odyssey (1972) to an F-plug.

Also, I have one of those multi-prong power supplies that allows you to adjust the voltage with a switch. It works just fine with my O2.

Ok I think I know what I'm going to do here. I tried my NES power supply and still got nothing on the O2, so I'm pretty sure now that the O2 itself is dead (maybe it can be fixed?). However I think I'm going to try and mod my other O2 cable so that it's a standard plug and then use my 2600 power supply on it. Hopefully that O2 actually works (I never actually tried it since I never could figure out how to hook it up). WE'll see.

Great -- did you do the video mod?

I want to mod a 2600 joystick to use on my original O2 with joystick ports. I wonder if it is as simple as moving the contacts around on the joystick's PCB.

Well I replaced the RF cable with a standard one if that's what you mean (packed away the old one with my Odyssey 1).

A 2600 to O2 joystick adapter would be a cool thing.

post-5654-0-35256400-1337115402_thumb.jpg

Great -- did you do the video mod?

I want to mod a 2600 joystick to use on my original O2 with joystick ports. I wonder if it is as simple as moving the contacts around on the joystick's PCB.

Well I replaced the RF cable with a standard one if that's what you mean (packed away the old one with my Odyssey 1).

A 2600 to O2 joystick adapter would be a cool thing.

Very easy. I've done a joystick conversion, and it really is just swapping around some wires. Just cut the joystick cable, strip it and link:

White to pin 1

Yellow to pin 2

Orange to pin 3

Green to pin 4

Black to pin 8

Here is a picture of my g7000 mod, done a composite mod, power switch mod(the g7000 lacks a power switch), a detachable power cord and detachable joysticks.

Edited by Seob

Very easy. I've done a joystick conversion, and it really is just swapping around some wires. Just cut the joystick cable, strip it and link:

White to pin 1

Yellow to pin 2

Orange to pin 3

Green to pin 4

Black to pin 8

Here is a picture of my g7000 mod, done a composite mod, power switch mod(the g7000 lacks a power switch), a detachable power cord and detachable joysticks.

Is it as easy as moving these wires around? Would the contact the brown wire is connected to be Pin 1, white Pin 2, and so on? Thanks!

post-30018-0-04008600-1337116681_thumb.jpg

White to pin 1

Yellow to pin 2

Orange to pin 3

Green to pin 4

Black to pin 8

Is it as easy as moving these wires around? Would the contact the brown wire is connected to be Pin 1, white Pin 2, and so on? Thanks!

Hey that's a good idea. I never thought of actually opening up the joystick itself and re-ordering the wires. Let me know if that works.

• 4 years later...

Just wanted to comment on this thread and say i had a non-working Odyssey 2, and similar to comments above, couldnt tell what was wrong (with no power indicator, there's no way to know what component (or the system itself) had failed.

After reading through this thread and swapping out connections etc, I ended up trying a standard NES power supply with the Odessey...and BINGO, the system leapt to life. Seems that the former owner had a faulty AC adapter in the box.

If there is any reason i shouldnt be using an NES power adapter on this system, please send me a message. It seems to work fine, but i know nothing about power, wattage, etc or what might be a problem for the O2 down the road if i keep using this.

Hooray!

This might sound odd, but did you leave the power supply hooked up to your O2 all the time? I had a problem with mine where it quit working and it turned out that the power plug had broken loose from the board because of the power supply plug getting bumped. Actually, I think that happened to my other one now... Accidentally bopped it before unhooking the power cord and now it doesn't work.

The power supply section of an Odissey2 only consists in a bridge rectifier, 2 caps (of which the big 4700uF electrolytic one is rated 25V, according to the service manual) and a 7805. I think it should accept quite a wide range of voltages, both AC and DC, without issues.

post-10599-0-01883100-1481198629_thumb.jpg

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/odyssey2/faq/essentials/#12