IGNORED

HSC Round 4.35: Memorial Day Tournament

Contra: 73,900

Golden Axe: 16.0 (Score)/38.0 (Strength)

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts: 8,100

Gyruss: 27,900 (The first time I heard that noise after entering my initials, I nearly had a heart attack!)

Pole Position: 21,550

Raiden: 33,650

Rastan: 89,300

Rush'n Attack: 35,500

Time Pilot: 32,400

I don't think camping/leeching is that much of a problem with Ghouls n Ghosts. With Ghosts n Goblins (1985 ;) ) it is a problem because there are areas in the game where you can leech enough points to gain an extra life then repeat indefintely. I dont think this is the case in Ghouls.

The ruling should be something like, we are not allowed to intentionally die in order to stay in a stage instead of moving on through, but I dont see anything wrong with being able to use up all the time that is given to us.

I don't think camping should be allowed, you have to keep moving forward.

Anyone else? I'm cool either way. Come to think of it, I'd rather keep moving forward for the sake of time. We've got a lot of games to cover here. Its still early in the tourney so if you want a voice in this decision speak now. I just got a 19,400 playing straight through.

B

I've never played this game so I don't even know how the "camp" trick works but if there's a poll my vote would be to nix it. Like B said, we have 10 games to work on here; if you're forced to fall in line and "camp" just to compete with everyone else doing the same, it's tedious. Besides, campin' ain't gamin'.... a score achieved by exploiting cheap tricks says little about the caliber of performance the player puts in.

I remember we played Kangaroo a few months ago and that game grated on me because it was a point press fest. Talk about the definition of dull.

Whatever the verdict, I won't complain... just offering my $.02.

Pole Pos 11,110

I had to make sure I had the settings right on this one. This game is HARD with a keyboard! And even HARDER! with my 360 controller.

B

You need yourself a cabinet with a trackball, son! Sounds goofy but it's a workable substitute for PP and other driving games with a free-spinning wheel. As exhibit A, I present the score that M.O. has yet to post. :)

Contra - 23,300

post-9212-0-33873500-1337581332_thumb.png

Golden Axe - 10

post-9212-0-57342100-1337581375_thumb.png

Gyruss - 19,650

post-9212-0-21319500-1337581412_thumb.png

Ghouls & Ghosts - 4,500 (missed the screenshot)

Pole Position - 8,500

post-9212-0-72243100-1337581604_thumb.png

Raiden - 45,490

post-9212-0-73537200-1337581640_thumb.png

Rastan - 40,100

post-9212-0-65871900-1337581677_thumb.png

Rush 'n Attack - 11,600

post-9212-0-55231600-1337581715_thumb.png

Rygar - 45,120

post-9212-0-38112300-1337581763_thumb.png

Time Pilot - 75,800 (one of my favorites!!!)

post-9212-0-49969900-1337581830_thumb.png

Edited by jblenkle

I agree...it's very hard with a keyboard...and even with my joypad...I kept forgetting you're supposed to shift and I never made it out of the qualifying round.

Pole Pos 11,110

I had to make sure I had the settings right on this one. This game is HARD with a keyboard! And even HARDER! with my 360 controller.

B

I agree...it's very hard with a keyboard...and even with my joypad...I kept forgetting you're supposed to shift and I never made it out of the qualifying round.

Pole Pos 11,110

B

That's another thing that gets me. The shifting. There is nothing on screen that shows you what gear you are in. It was just a stick there in the arcade labeled Hi and Low. I start in Hi gear a good bit.

B

Pole Pos 11,110

B

That's another thing that gets me. The shifting. There is nothing on screen that shows you what gear you are in. It was just a stick there in the arcade labeled Hi and Low. I start in Hi gear a good bit.

B

MAME treats the gear selection as a state that is toggled via whatever button you map to it. This means that if you end a game in high gear, it'll be in high gear when you start a new game unless you toggle it back to low at sometime before the new race starts.

You don't see a High/Low indicator in the lower right corner of your screen?

Pole Pos 11,110

B

B

You don't see a High/Low indicator in the lower right corner of your screen?

Pole Pos 11,110

B

B

Nope. I'm on .106. That could be it.

Rastan 43,900

Rush'n 65,200

Time Pilot 131,800

Rastan... Man, I don't like this one. It has that really cool 80's fantasy look to it I just don't like the controls. Maybe it will grow on me over the next few weeks.

post-29567-0-76995100-1337615573.png

I don't think camping should be allowed, you have to keep moving forward.

Anyone else? I'm cool either way. Come to think of it, I'd rather keep moving forward for the sake of time. We've got a lot of games to cover here. Its still early in the tourney so if you want a voice in this decision speak now. I just got a 19,400 playing straight through.

B

I've never played this game so I don't even know how the "camp" trick works but if there's a poll my vote would be to nix it. Like B said, we have 10 games to work on here; if you're forced to fall in line and "camp" just to compete with everyone else doing the same, it's tedious. Besides, campin' ain't gamin'.... a score achieved by exploiting cheap tricks says little about the caliber of performance the player puts in.

I remember we played Kangaroo a few months ago and that game grated on me because it was a point press fest. Talk about the definition of dull.

Whatever the verdict, I won't complain... just offering my $.02.

I think we should go with whatever TwinGalaxies rule's are.

At lease with GNG there's a timer.

With Time Pilot, you can leach for points in the 1940 level by just shooting down 1500 points airplane for a while, it's not easy but that's how the MAME record was set.

You can do the same in Russian attack for a while .... until the 3 karate kids shows up and even then, if you have a blow torche you can do it even longer. I think that at one point a plane come and gets you and I think there is a timer but you have a lot of time for pressing points.