IGNORED

Akai Katana (XBOX 360 Cave shmup)

Austin

Looks like this was released in the US this past week! I snagged my copy from GameStop on my way to work today. Has anyone else picked it up yet?

For the uninitiated, this is a Cave shoot 'em up, released over here via Red Star games. Judging by the videos I've seen, it looks to be a horizontally-scrolling shooter along the lines of Deathsmiles.

Picked up my copy from evilstop today. The employee said that each gamestop (possibly local) was only getting one copy.

Judging by GameStop's website, that's what it seemed like around here as well. Every location supposedly had a copy in, but they all said "Low Stock!!!".

Judging by GameStop's website, that's what it seemed like around here as well. Every location supposedly had a copy in, but they all said "Low Stock!!!".

That means they only shipped one copy to the store that is the display copy which they'll try to sell to you as being "new" if they haven't already sold it to someone else.

That's what they've done with all the shmup releases.

I don't generally get neck-deep in shmup scoring systems, but I have to say that the gimmick in this game (at least in Origin and Climax modes) is very cool. Being able to go incincible, then create suicide bullets to then make them explode into swarms of point icons never gets old! It feels very fresh to me.

I don't generally get neck-deep in shmup scoring systems, but I have to say that the gimmick in this game (at least in Origin and Climax modes) is very cool. Being able to go incincible, then create suicide bullets to then make them explode into swarms of point icons never gets old! It feels very fresh to me.

sounds similar to Espgaluda II

sounds similar to Espgaluda II

Hmm.. Kind of. In this you have to make the extra bullets appear by shooting enemies a certain way when you are in your "Phantom" mode, then you have to sort of juggle them near enemies. Then there's "cashing them in", which is done in sort of a chain-reaction kind of way. It's kind of hard to explain actually, haha. In Espgaluda, when you switch to your alternate mode, enemies shoot at two or three times the normal rate by default, then those bullets are "cashed out" into point medals/icons by simply destroying the enemies they came from. It's a bit easier to get the hang of in Espgaluda. :)