IGNORED

7 Digit Full Sized Score Display

(wanted to edit my previous post, but the 'edit'-button is not being shown... doesn't seem to be in the DOM either...)

Well, against all odds I got it to work. For a moment I thought it would all fail because the first character of the right set needs PF07 to hide/show its leftmost bars and I didn't want to allocate another 5 bytes of RAM for that. Then I realised I could reuse the PF2 buffers.

Who should I give credit to?

(edit: now there IS an edit button...)

Edited by MLdB

After a failed first attempt I got the routine wrapped into a loop so it's down to 106 bytes using TIM8T as a crude loop counter. I still have to figure out a fast and compact way to generate the PF0, PF1 and PF2 patterns without the DPC+... any ideas?

Edited by MLdB

• 2 years later...

Please tell me how you guys are able to modify the code of an existing Atari .bin. So far I can only modify .bas files. Thanks.

Also, if someone could point me to a good SPRITE STRETCHING demo.

Is it possible to stretch only P0 sprites while leaving P1 sprites normal shaped?

And does stretching P0's sprites also affect collision detection?

Thanks for any help.

Please tell me how you guys are able to modify the code of an existing Atari .bin. So far I can only modify .bas files. Thanks.

one way would be to:

• Run the .bin thru distella to create new source code
  • make changes
  • use dasm to create a new .bin

Is it possible to stretch only P0 sprites while leaving P1 sprites normal shaped?

Yes, NUSIZ0 controls P0 while NUSIZ1 controls P1.

And does stretching P0's sprites also affect collision detection?

Collision detection works as expected.

Wow thanks Spice! I don't see many examples of restretching sprites on the fly. It seems like it would make for some excellent graphics, and wider than 8p sprites easily, if drawn well.

Also, I'd like to volunteer my artistic talents for anyone who might need some help there. I can't code yet, but I'd like to think I'm fairly skilled at drawing.

Andrew Davie's page no longer exists. I can't find the download link for the DASM.

Edited by freshbrood

I will definitely check that rom and your posting out. Thanks again! Between you and RandomTerrain and the great advice and tutorials you give, I'm really excited to try and create something. Thank you! I grew up on the 2600, and the nostalgia is just amazing. I also like the challenge of trying to squeeze gold from lead, so to speak.

• 10 months later...

A few years ago I wrote a 7 byte score display for a game I was working on. Time went by and the game got forgotten, but recent thoughts on using TIM1T as a storage container reminded me of where I first used the trick. I decided to strip score display out of my game and make it available to everyone.

Oh my god! I thought 6 digits were the limit (with regular digits)!

WOW! :-o

Edited by MacrosCode