IGNORED

Season 9 Round 6 - Double Dragon

CGQuarterly

Always jump from the very top of the bridge. Then when you land on the other side, immediately jump kick that SOB with the knife.

Yeah, I noticed that if you jump from the top, he won't quite get up to where you are when he tosses the knife, and it will fly right past you.

Always jump from the very top of the bridge. Then when you land on the other side, immediately jump kick that SOB with the knife.

Yeah, I noticed that if you jump from the top, he won't quite get up to where you are when he tosses the knife, and it will fly right past you.

I jump from the top because the perspective of the bridge throws my brain off. When I jump from the middle I usually end up in the river because I can't determine where the edge is. I jump too early or too late. For whatever reason the issue disappears at the top.

After that ,the guy normally doesn't have an opportunity to chuck the knife before I knock him down.

Got demolished at you-know-where!

By the way, it turns out the headbutt rules for points. 700 points a pop, and you have it right from the start of the game. You are almost guaranteed to get hit with it though, so be careful! :)

post-24675-0-91728600-1338054469_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow. Thanks for that tip, Austin. It won't help you beat the game, but it's definitely a score booster.

post-27362-0-60432200-1338067238_thumb.png

I'm disappointed though because I lost my first life due to a missed a jump in the caves. The second

because I took too many hits from those #*&$% stones and these guys took me out.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed though because I lost my first life due to a missed a jump in the caves. The second because I took too many hits from those #*&$% stones and these guys took me out.

Yeah, I died at a pretty retarded spot too--the top of Mission 2 when that guy comes out of the door. I was trying to headbutt him, but I let my life get too low and he took three pellets of life away with a quick move or two. I should have just forced him off the screen by going back down the ladders instead of playing risky.

I lost my other two lives at the blocks. I checked some YouTube videos, and there doesn't seem to be a specific pattern. Ugh.

I will probably give this game one more try tonight.

Wow, you guys and your insane scores!...those purple Chins are tough, I remember that spot. Headbutts, eh?...I'll have to try that out.

It would appear that there's a 'maximum' point total to be had in this game, if you do 'all the right moves', am I correct in assuming that? I don't think extra time at the end of a round counts for any points, so the number of enemies is fixed, and if you maxed out the way you take em out, there 'should' be a max score, right?

I wonder if Billy Mitchell knows....probably. Not.

Wow, you guys and your insane scores!...those purple Chins are tough, I remember that spot. Headbutts, eh?...I'll have to try that out.

The Chins aren't really tough. Just make sure you are kicking them. It's not very safe to use any other move on them. Try to get it to where your foot barely touches them. That will give you the advantage on them.

New score:

Very odd how I died...just started inside the pink caves, and got smacked by a falling rock. Well, you know that once you get hit by one, you're pretty much hooped as the next ones are already on the way down...well this time, it kept me down right until the part where the conveyors start...I was stuck in some kinda glitch where you could 'hear' the sound of me getting hit, lying on the ground, wiggling. Time ticked away and I was through.

But this game was just to test your headbutt theory: wow, it's a game changer, what a difference. Literally doubled my score. But very dangerous to use outside of the first level or so.

Here's a question: I could just google, but I choose not to, lol. I thought the new moves you get in the game are completely score dependent...I don't think that's the case, because when using the headbutt, it took a lot longer get three hearts (for jump kicks) than before when I used punches. I think it's a 'hit count', which would explain why I got the hearts maxed so quick but only half the score. At the same point in the game I had only four hearts compared to the six or so I had the first game. Odd!

Thanks for the Chin tip. I don't know why I didn't figure these things out myself; i just jump kick the hell outta everything!

I might try again for a score but this game is beginning to bug me from the sheer amount of bugginess and cheap deaths from obstacles or falling. That's where the headbutt is a liability; you're moving quick, but inadvertently you throw a headbutt and a rock hits you in the head. Or sometimes you get smacked by Abobo and you lose only one sliver of life, another time he'll take off three. That kinda stuff.

Still a pretty fun game, one of the very first games I rented way back when. I still remember how disappointed we were to find that you couldn't play two players, and how different it was from the arcade game. We rented that one, Rambo and Metal Gear. Took the entire night just to figure out how to use the keycards as there were no instructions (or maps, like the game came with). Ah, Rambo. You turd!

As far as gaining your abilities, there's a set of numbers on the bottom-left corner of the screen. Doing various moves builds it up, and when it hits past 999, you "level up". Different moves give you more points towards that meter than others. The headbutt, as far as I can tell, gives you the least out of any of them (I too noticed that you level up slower--I headbutt all the way through the first level and didn't even have the jumpkick yet when I started Mission 2, haha!).

ALMOST finished the game. Must have had just a few more hits left on the last boss..

Surprisingly, I got past the blocks without a problem. I swear, success on that part must be completely random, ugh.

Obviously you want to spam the headbutt as many times as you can. In order to reap the rewards, you will have to get hit. So long as you throw out the headbutt before the enemy attacks, what will usually happen is you will get hit by the enemy's first punch, but your headbutt will still follow through, hitting them and overriding their stream of punches. It takes a lot of single punches for a pellet to be taken from your life bar--Milk this!

When against those enemies that are tougher (for instance, the Chin guys), kick them twice, then headbutt. After the second kick, the enemy will be stunned for a good moment. Be quick, and you can get a guaranteed 700 point headbutt! You can do this on normal enemies to, if you aren't feeling risky enough. Try to milk it as much as you can early on, because once you get the head-grab/throw combo, it's difficult to get a headbutt in after a kick (you will grab them when you try to perform the headbutt).

One last thing to consider--Remember that on the later stages, when you go through doors or caves, your life bar refills. This gives you extra opportunity to be risky again. For instance, when you get to the pink cave, there are only two enemies--the Chins. Headbutt them! You should be able to take them both out with just that and have enough life left over to go through the door, where your life will refill once again. Same thing when you are outside of the green/blue-ish cave (where you fight the green Abobos)--use your full life bar to your advantage and solely headbutt the 10 or so Lindas that pop out (don't progress on until they are all gone--they will keep popping out of the same cave). Mucho-points right there alone! :)

post-24675-0-69298300-1338104205_thumb.jpg

Wow, there are some crazy tips going on here. I've found that the only non-headbutt guys are Abobo....way too risky. I tried the kick/heabutt combos but unless they're stunned, the computer can duck your headbutt. Ditto on the life refills, it's the only thing that makes sense....but I guess this game doesn't give extra lives?...with a score like that Austin, it's hard to believe you didn't finish the game!...unless you lost those lives due to the loss of lives from maxing out the headbutts.

If the computer ducks my headbutt, I immediately bolt in the other direction, then run back towards them and try again when they get back up. You will get them--sometimes you just have to try repeatedly. Unless they are Abobos, they most-likely won't get up in time to hit you.

I generally don't try to stun then headbutt the Abobos, at least not if I know I have a ways to go before getting a life refill. On the first level though, I do it, since your lifebar is refilled when you go to the conveyor belt part, and only have to fight two enemies before the Abobo.

And yes, you are right--this one doesn't give you extra lives. A shame, actually, haha! On the block part, everyone knows we could use them! :lol:

As far as my particular run, I actually made some stupid mistakes which led to my death a few times. On Mission 3, I ran into someone's knife towards the beginning (ouch). I ended up having just a couple of pellets of life left, but actually made it all the way to the dual-Abobos (right before the pink cave). By the time I got there, I had zero life pellets. I had one Abobo defeated, and almost had the other finished, but slipped up on my own mistake and got hit. Just a couple of more hits, and my life bar would have been refilled, haha.. oh well.. On Mission 4, just past the blocks, I ran into a Chin's knife (again). Those moments are really embarrassing, because knives are really easy to avoid in this game.

Speaking of dual-Abobos--the jump kick is your friend there. Definitely the safest way to get past them. Funny enough, I remember renting a "Nintendo Tips 'n Tricks" (or something or another) VHS when I was a kid, and that is what they recommended on that part before the pink cave. Still works like a charm! :lol: It just takes a while though. Abobos towards the end of the game take upwards of 20 jump kicks to take down, haha. On a side note, they can be destroyed with about four or five elbows, so that means those do the equivalent of four or five jump kicks!

Edited by Austin

I have officially 'given up' on this game, lol! I'm going to try the original cartridge tonight, just for laughs. I have had enough of the cheap deaths caused by glitches!...lol, so today, not only do I catch a could pink stalagmites in the head (well, one, not as bad as yesterday) due to head butting when all I wanted to do was back up...as you know, those rocks leave about a split second to decide whethere to go for it or not. And if you get hit once, you're pretty much f'ed in the A...you'll keep getting smacked, and if you're unlucky, the game will glitch you right over the edge when you move to the moving platforms!

So I made it past that, get to the blue rocks cave. This time, and dig this, one of the tumbling rocks appears out of nowhere from behind me, and I fall off the cliff in that pathetic looking 'fall' pose Billy does. Well, midair, I glitch a couple different directions, and I FALL RIGHT THROUGH the blue rock floor! I didn't even end up on the rock! So, I figure, "these blue rocks are coming in quick, gotta move!" All I should have done was just WALK OFF THE EDGE in retrospect, but I ...jumped. Which landed me in that friggin pit. Game Over (I actually died risking some headbutts on Abobo, first level, lol!).

I can imagine if I get up to those other levels what it'll be like...I really wonder if it's a bad ROM?...could that be the case? I've never had these kinds of things happen while playing the actual cart for all those years...I really wonder.

I can't totally complain but the cheapness of these falling deaths are really lame. Yes, I jumped into one pit, but who knew? I learned the hard way, but that falling through the floor took the cake. LOL!...still Double Dragon though, can't knock it. LOL!

• Like 1

Speaking of dual-Abobos--the jump kick is your friend there. Definitely the safest way to get past them. Funny enough, I remember renting a "Nintendo Tips 'n Tricks" (or something or another) VHS when I was a kid, and that is what they recommended on that part before the pink cave. Still works like a charm! :lol: It just takes a while though. Abobos towards the end of the game take upwards of 20 jump kicks to take down, haha. On a side note, they can be destroyed with about four or five elbows, so that means those do the equivalent of four or five jump kicks!

You mean this golden turd?...LOL!...we stole this VHS tape outta Zellers back in the day, lol!....I laughed my ass off when Seanbaby.com website made total fun of the US NATIONAL VIDEO GAME TEAM...lol! He was itching my retro itch before I knew I was scratching, lol!....circa 99?...his top ten worst NES lists killed me with laughter...lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFiMQav3gVs

• Like 1

LOL! No, I don't think that's the one. I remember them specifically playing the pre-cave part on Mission 3, with the dual-Abobos. This is hilarious though--you can actually hear the button presses as they "play", despite them using the turbo fire function on everything. It's almost so baaaaad it's good!

Wow.. It gets really bad towards the end of the video. It's like the guys can't even talk straight! :lol:

So I made it past that, get to the blue rocks cave. This time, and dig this, one of the tumbling rocks appears out of nowhere from behind me, and I fall off the cliff in that pathetic looking 'fall' pose Billy does. Well, midair, I glitch a couple different directions, and I FALL RIGHT THROUGH the blue rock floor! I didn't even end up on the rock! So, I figure, "these blue rocks are coming in quick, gotta move!" All I should have done was just WALK OFF THE EDGE in retrospect, but I ...jumped. Which landed me in that friggin pit. Game Over (I actually died risking some headbutts on Abobo, first level, lol!).

That is crazy.. I do know this game has glitches, so that doesn't seem so far-fetched to me. As far as the blue area though, what I do is purposely fall down the cliffs after the first stalagmites section. So long as you keep pushing forward through that section and them fall on each cliff (again, don't jump), only one set of rocks should come out. That will keep you from getting hit by them. Same thing at the second stalagmite part.

I can imagine if I get up to those other levels what it'll be like...I really wonder if it's a bad ROM?...could that be the case? I've never had these kinds of things happen while playing the actual cart for all those years...I really wonder.

I can't totally complain but the cheapness of these falling deaths are really lame. Yes, I jumped into one pit, but who knew? I learned the hard way, but that falling through the floor took the cake. LOL!...still Double Dragon though, can't knock it. LOL!

Haha, yeah, it's one of those games where you learn the hard way. But at least you learn!

I have to say, at least you are trying (and thanks for doing so!). In these HSCs, generally people submit a low score and let it be that. People trying again and again here in the NES HSC has kept me motivated to keep playing. The discussion of the games has been interesting, and it has even allowed me to see familiar games in a different light. With that said, I thank you! :)

• Like 2

Part of my reasoning for an NES subforum was to talk about these games with a broader group of folks....now don't get me wrong, the chats we have here with 'the usual suspects' is great! Seriously, when I first started posting scores back in Oct or Nov, I wanted more than just putting up a score. I wanted to talk about the games with people who are into 'em like me. And for those who don't want to talk, no probs!...I still read each and every post. But I thought that if the format up 'stick up a score' worked, then cool, but I wanted to not only post scores but talk shop about the games.

Now, many of these games have been played to death....kinda in line with my other thread on game mastery. I'm hoping Chris will implement some form in the future so we (I hope) don't play the same games in the NES HSC more than say, twice per year. Because if we have, say, Double Dragon again in seven months (or even a year), the only thing I'll be doing is putting up a score: we've about the strategies, and due to your (Austin) insane gaming skills, every game that comes out, I feel we get a pretty good feel for what that game has to offer. Like Super C...I can NOT see myself trying to play that game again, lol!!! Even though I had a hell of a lot of fun playing it, the only thing I found hilarious towards the end was seeing how often you insane bastards could marathon it!...totally hilarious. But towards the end of the week, I'm getting pretty sick of whatever game we're playing. Not 'sick', so much, but that feeling of 'next!'. So game repetition would kinda kill it.

But it's not the same for all games: take Battletoads, the game that saw my first post. I had a stack of games sitting next to my NES, and my goal is to beat all my 100 top games, but without help from the internet. I know, kinda dumb, but I'm trying to see if I can beat these games by coming up with the skills required. But even back in the 80s, I was reading mags and talking to friends who were pretty good gamers, so you found out the tips. But some games will always be hard for me, for different reasons. So I don't mind the tips I get from the HSC, because most of them aren't 'gamebreakers'. But knowing now how to deal with Chin in Double Dragon, quickly and efficiently? Definite game changer! Why didn't I just try to kick that fool back in the day?...I have no idea! That long kick of his just seemed to trump mine, so I figured jump kicks were the way to go (along with all the other enemies!).

Anyways, my posts are too long. So be it! :D

• Like 1