IGNORED

Biggest PS3 system bundle ripoff?

low_budget

Many different PS3 models and bundles have been released since 2006, and many people complained about the pricing at launch. I'm not talking about that, but a certain bundle in particular has given me buyer's remorse ever since I bought it new.

You see, when Metal Gear 4 was released as one of the first games to truly show off the PS3's capabilities, there were not one but two "special edition" consoles released.

The first one was sold in retail. It had a 80GB hard drive, PS2 backward compatibility, 4 USB ports, memory card reader, and included a special edition copy of Metal Gear 4. It had the same shiny black/chrome look as the original 60GB PS3 and was priced at $499. That was the one I wish I bought.

The other was sold by Konami directly through mail order. Supposedly, only 10,000 were made and it had a cool "gunmetal gray" color scheme. It also included a gunmetal gray controller and limited edition copy of Metal Gear 4 included. It also supposedly had a gray molded plastic case (as opposed to painted.) Unfortunately, it had only 2 USB ports, no PS2 compatibility, no memory card reader, and a measly 40GB hard drive.

This particular turd was released in June 2008 available exclusively from Konami's website for a whopping $599. Yep, less features than the original 60GB PS3, released a year and a half later, at the same launch price.

But it was cool looking gray! Only 10,000 made! A true collector's item!

I admit I was a sucker looking for a valuable collectable, and I bought the damn thing.

Konami had trouble selling the 10,000 they made. It was advertised as "extremely limited quantities" going fast! To add insult to injury, the price was lowered to $399 a mere 6 months later. Here I had an unopened system I hoped would slowly go up in value and suddenly it was now worth $200 less without even opening the box.

Needless to say it was a true middle finger to Metal Gear fans.

No, it gets worse. It had a painted on finish. There were spots where it wore off, revealing black plastic underneath. The "limited edition" game was simply the regular game in a larger box that included a making of DVD.

I've seen people on ebay trying to sell unopened systems for $600 or more, and they never sell. WONDER WHY....

post-31751-0-21109200-1337737396_thumb.jpg

Thats brutal. Konami in my book has been slowly dying a slow death. They have crap for quality games the last few years....at least the ones I'm interested in. (Suikoden, Silent Hill etc). It doesn't surprise me the consoles coming directly from THEM would be cheap. Actually a lot of limited edition stuff is pretty cheap crap that they sell on launch day for tons of money.