IGNORED

Anyone have a Vectrex Light Pen?

Megaman Legends

Anyone have a Vectrex Light Pen? box

I do, complete in box. Ever once in a while I take it out and draw some fun stuff with it. I remember that I took a picture when I drew a kind-of galaxy picture with some asteroid floating in space around stars as dots and some other random stuff. The light pen cost my a good lump of cash but in my opinion it's worth it. I personally love this attachment but a little.. more like a lottle to pricey for my taste. All I need is art master an vectrex and light pen and I can be entertained for hours (I have a long attention span)

What do you like drawing with a light pen?

I have the repro light pen and art master and animaction. Have had a lot of fun with it, though it can be quite tedious at times. It's difficult to be precise. Both programs have crazy limitations, but i've actually found the art master animation mode to be more useful than animaction. The stuff i've been doing in art master can't be done in animaction.

It would be sweet if somebody developed a new animation cartridge for the vectrex.

How did this work?

The Lightpen sends a negative edge pulse to "button 4" when it senses a certain intensity of light. The software on the program cartridges places a "crosshair" on the screen or monitors predetermined text menu selections. By aiming the Lightpen at this crosshair it draws a shape similar to a bullseye. As the pen is moved, it crosses the rings of the bullseye and this new position is detected and made to be the new center. In this manner the bullseye crosshair may be dragged across the screen. If it is lost by the Lightpen, it must be "picked up" again. words from: playvectrex.com

How did this work?

The Lightpen sends a negative edge pulse to "button 4" when it senses a certain intensity of light. The software on the program cartridges places a "crosshair" on the screen or monitors predetermined text menu selections. By aiming the Lightpen at this crosshair it draws a shape similar to a bullseye. As the pen is moved, it crosses the rings of the bullseye and this new position is detected and made to be the new center. In this manner the bullseye crosshair may be dragged across the screen. If it is lost by the Lightpen, it must be "picked up" again. words from: playvectrex.com

What was confusing me was how it could possibly detect position on a black screen. But, as stated, there needs to be some sort of non-zero brightness on the screen. Timing must have been pretty precise if it could detect precise position based on the sweep of the electron beam. I wonder how that was calibrated.

• 2 months later...