IGNORED

Lynx HSC 2012 Round 6 Toki

roadrunner

The Lynx HSC Game Of The Month Is Toki

post-22103-0-91078600-1338527917_thumb.png post-22103-0-31795700-1338527933_thumb.png

Settings - Default

Do not use any continues

Any control setup is fine

Emulation is ok

No auto fire, No save states

Screenshots are great but not mandatory

The Lynx HSC All Time Record Is 153,900 by Horst

Beat this record for a bonus point!

(Busted) PFG 9000 208,850 +1 point

(Busted) BillyHW 158,900 +1 point

Deadline to post scores is July 1st 2012

Side Challenge -

Play another version of Toki for 1 bonus point!

Side challenge scores -

Amstari 48,180 (Genesis) +1 point

devwebcl 38,100 (MAME) +1 point

roadrunner 2,120 (C64) +1 point

BillyHW 1,060 (C64) +1 point

Final High Scores -

1. PFG 9000 208,850 +11 points

2. BillyHW 158,900 +10 points

3. devwebcl 62,450 +9 points

4. DeVaas 54,700 +8 points

5. Tempest2k 54,050 +7 points

6. roadrunner 36,100 +6 points

7. jblenkle 29,100 +5 points

8. Amstari 28,850 +4 points

Current Point Standings -

PFG 9000 (53)

Atari_afternoon (16)

Tempest2k (42)

roadrunner (42)

BillyHW (36)

ACrystal 2011 ( 8 )

Amstari (29)

zoltan (10)

DeVaas (10)

Link to manual -

http://www.atariage....areLabelID=1886

Edited by roadrunner

That score took me for bloody ever! My memory is awful and Toki seems to be all memorization. It would be awesome to see that score trounced.

The last time this game was played in March 2010 PFG 9000 had a higher score but it was after the deadline.

Here's his chance to set the new record. ;)

http://www.atariage....-of-march-2010/

That score took me for bloody ever! My memory is awful and Toki seems to be all memorization. It would be awesome to see that score trounced.

The last time this game was played in March 2010 PFG 9000 had a higher score but it was after the deadline.

Here's his chance to set the new record. ;)

http://www.atariage....-of-march-2010/

I'm working on it. :) I nearly made it to the third level boss last night. I'd really like to beat the game this time, which I've never done so far. I really enjoy Toki, but playing through it again reminds me of how cheap it can be at some points.

Toki.jpg

I haven't beaten the game yet, and at this rate I probably won't, unless I use my continues. Now that I think about it, back in the day when I could get to the last stage, it was after both continues. I don't think I've ever made it past the fifth stage without continuing. I'm looking forward to that Xbox Live Arcade remake. If they can remove the cheap deaths and questionable collision detection, 1cc-ing it would be pretty doable.

Toki.jpg

I haven't beaten the game yet, and at this rate I probably won't, unless I use my continues. Now that I think about it, back in the day when I could get to the last stage, it was after both continues. I don't think I've ever made it past the fifth stage without continuing. I'm looking forward to that Xbox Live Arcade remake. If they can remove the cheap deaths and questionable collision detection, 1cc-ing it would be pretty doable.

Great score! :thumbsup: Congrats on breaking the record. :thumbsup::)

I made it to the last boss today! I had to continue to do it, and I only made it up to him once, but what a rush! I was never able to get past the minecart part of the last stage when I was a kid, so finally getting to the end has a lot of meaning for me. Of course, he killed me before I scored a single hit on him, so I've got some work to do yet. If you die on the last boss, the game sends you back a ways, and if you die there, it sends you back even further. A bit cheap, if you ask me...reminds me a little of the end of Ninja Gaiden on the NES.

So can someone please tell me what's so good about Toki? I'm having trouble believing this was a 1989 arcade game originally. Toki walks and jumps so slowly, the power-ups are uninteresting, the level designs are uninspired. Even more baffling are all the home ports this game received. One hit deaths.

I'm just not feeling this game.

Toki doesn't really do anything innovative, but I think it's a fairly solid game. There are some frustrating deaths once in awhile due to questionable collision detection, and sometimes the bosses feel cheap (especially the elephant in stage 4 and the floating hands/feet/heart in stage 5). But I think the level design is actually quite good for the time. In the early 90s when I saw that Grey Matters magazine with the Toki stage 1 map, I thought it was really cool level design. Around that time, most platformers only scrolled left to right, and occasionally down to up. To have a level that meandered all over the place was uncommon, though I doubt Toki was the first to do that.

I guess I would compare it to Scrapyard Dog, albeit a less-polished version. It really does nothing new for the genre, but it's a quality title for the Lynx, and there really isn't much better in the way of platforming on the handheld.

I'm not sure how popular the arcade game was. That wikipedia page seems a bit biased.

The nes version ain't bad. Using continues i got up to the boss that shoots out the letters B U R P

The wiki article even calls it a "run and gun", which is quite ridiculous.