IGNORED

New Controller?

SoulBlazer

In the market for a second XBox 360 controller for my system, but with the following conditions:

1) Official controller

2) Newer style, with the better D-Pad

3) Must be new

Anyone seen a good price for one, in store or online, and what I should expect to pay?

The only listing on Amazon that I saw for an official MS brand controller that actually listed the "transforming D-pad" in the description was the Gear's of War 3 controller:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O6HOAG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=atariage&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003O6HOAG

Mendon

Reports I've seen have been that it was either equally as bad as the original or that it improved the experience but still had significant flaws. Keep in mind that only the surface your thumb touches has been changed, the actual mechanism is identical to what has been there since day 1.

I've given up on Microsoft ever producing a decent d-pad. The situation on the original Xbox was just as bad. I use a wired MadCatz SFIV gamepad for games where a nice d-pad is important.

Reports I've seen have been that it was either equally as bad as the original or that it improved the experience but still had significant flaws. Keep in mind that only the surface your thumb touches has been changed, the actual mechanism is identical to what has been there since day 1.

I've given up on Microsoft ever producing a decent d-pad. The situation on the original Xbox was just as bad. I use a wired MadCatz SFIV gamepad for games where a nice d-pad is important.

how can that be true? doesn't the transforming switch it from a 4-way gate to an 8-way gate? I can't imagine how that can't feel different.

how can that be true? doesn't the transforming switch it from a 4-way gate to an 8-way gate? I can't imagine how that can't feel different.

I have the silver one. It feels different on your thumb but the input detection is still terrible.

I have the silver one. It feels different on your thumb but the input detection is still terrible.

that's a big bummer. sad they couldn't really fix it. how hard can it be?

I had a madcatz pad, and returned it. Made up some excuse about input lag, but really, the dpad was just so big that it had too much "throw" to it. It was like working a joystick with your thumb. It was too difficult to do Blanka's super moves (too much left-right-left-right) & I didn't see any reason to invest effort in getting used to it, when my arcade stick already worked well.

Shame about the "transforming dpad" controllers. I'd heard that they weren't much better than the old ones, and it stinks to have it confirmed.

All that is changed is the surface your thumb comes into contact with. It can be switched between the traditional Microsoft style and something more resembling a Nintendo d-pad.

But the internals are unchanged.