IGNORED

3 Weeks In - Hacked

DaytonaUSA

So, I booted up my Xbox 360 today, played some Dirt 3, had some fun...

I then decided to back out, and look at what games were on sale for demos. I saw an ad for Max Riders, and decided to DL the demo. Upon "checkout", where it tells you where you're saving the save to and how much the purchase costs, the demo read "free" and my account balance, which was 2400 points after I downloaded Trials Evolution a week ago...... was now a paltry 40 points!

I've been on the phone with Xbox for the last hour and a half. We've changed passwords, password security questions and changed a setting so that any other Xboxes other than mine are forced to log in each time. So if someone downloaded the purchases to their Xbox, they're now locked out of my profile.

Turns out they downloaded some DLC. Some for some sort of May car pack and some DLC for an EA Sports soccer game, which I don't have. They also downloaded a demo, who's abbreviation is beyond me.

They were helpful, kept me calm while I was waiting for their systems to load certain info by talking about games with me. All in all, they did a good job. The problem is, they have to excalate the issue. They said usually in three days, they'll get back to me. The good thing is that they know my system ID number, so any other number that's accessed my profile will be shown to them, especially the one that downloaded those game DLC add-ons.

My points are still gone. I still only have 40 points left. But, hopefully it'll be solved soon and my points will return.

I don't seem to have good luck. Despite being very secure with my priviate information, I've been hacked during the PS3's major hack back a few months ago, and now with Xbox. Great...

Hopefully the new security measures are enough to keep everything at bay. I like having points in my account just in case a sale comes up and I want to buy a game. I should be able to have points saved without worrying they'll be spent by someone else.

I'm still kinda stressed. Sure my account is secure, but I'm going to be very anxious until they get back to me. Here's to hoping they not only refund my points, but find the ***hole who decided to mess with me, and ban their Xbox (and hopefully go to his house and beat him up with a few 2X4s................hey, I can dream can't I?)

Fingers crossed ::

Edited by DaytonaUSA

So you didn't have any CC or PayPal info linked to your account, just some points? And someone still managed to break into your account and tap the points?

That really sucks. This is a new system that you bought also, right? I wonder how they even did it.

MS's security seems pretty good, but it's still troubling that things like this can happen. Glad they are at least working on the issue with you. :)

Its never good enough.

I was forced to change my password last christmas due to an "incident" when I lost most of my points like Daytona. Since then I don't use a credit card and I also block all ads to my 360 using a seperate DNS service. (I dont click on any ADS on the 360....just play my games). I also do not subscribe to GOLD (as of yesterday).

Its not Daytona. There's lots of people with this issue.

Its a real problem:

http://www.destructo...em-219646.phtml

As I've said on other threads...I've left the 360 behind. I usually game on the PC and PS3 now and no online gaming with consoles at all.

The only reason I have the 360 on my home network is for game patches and updates. I think indie games wont run offline either but I'm not sure about that.

Good luck Daytona.

Edited by cimerians

Sometime last year after hearing about all the hacking going on I stopped tieing payment accounts to my profile and only use the pre-paid cards, I also no longer leave points tied to my gamertag.

As long as you do this, you're golden. These thieves are using the points to buy packs they can turn around and sell for real cash. If you have neither points, nor cards tied to the gamertag so they can buy points, they can't really do much with your account. I had a credit card attached to my profile since the early days of the 360 and never had an issue but better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

Sometime last year after hearing about all the hacking going on I stopped tieing payment accounts to my profile and only use the pre-paid cards, I also no longer leave points tied to my gamertag.

As long as you do this, you're golden. These thieves are using the points to buy packs they can turn around and sell for real cash. If you have neither points, nor cards tied to the gamertag so they can buy points, they can't really do much with your account. I had a credit card attached to my profile since the early days of the 360 and never had an issue but better safe than sorry.

Yeah, exactly what he said is what I did/do. ;)

Recently my credit card ran out... so I needed to update it... and to be frank i did not bother. At the present time with all the security issues there is no point tiering your xbox to a credit card. Secondly I have become disenchanted with MS getting rid of inside xbox over here... and too much advertising about crap tv packages... and movies and music...

I want my xbox to be able to play games first... then rest is a waste for me... my blu ray players has a browser for that...as does my set top box... phone, cd player etc...

Good luck Daytonna getting your points back...