IGNORED

Halo 4 gameplay

xg4bx

u know how you know the halo 4 press conference got people excited? I checked my friends list right after the presser (and it's not a major list) and 5 people were playing Halo 3 and 4 people were playing Halo Reach. I asked a couple why and they said they wanted to revisit all the games again before Halo 4 comes out.

I actually booted up Halo Reach to test out my new Turtle Beach DSS2 a few days ago, and yeah, I'm definitely going to go through Reach, then Halo Anniversary, then 2, then 3 to prep for Halo 4.

• 2 months later...

Looks like 3... should be solid. What sucks is Halo games take foreeeeever to come down... I waited over two years for 3, the ODST, and recently Reach to come down to $30... they take forever. This one'll probably be at $40 until the next Microsoft console comes out.

No matter, I still haven't finished part 1. 2 and the rest are still sealed, so I'm in no hurry... take your time, Microsoft. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

So has anyone been playing Halo 4 yet?? :grin: Judging from my friend's list, I know that there are at least a couple AtariAgers playing. Personally, I've had a blast so far. Took a 'me' day off from work yesterday and from 8 to 3 pretty much just played H4. Loving the story....some twists and turns that I didn't see coming. Maybe if you've read the books they may not be as much of a surprise, but for me they were definite shocks, and I've been eating them up!

Anyway, has anyone utilized any Smartglass functionality in conjunction with Halo 4? How's it worked out? During all that gametime I had yesterday I hadn't realized that the iOS Smartglass update had dropped, so I didn't even think to check it out in action. I'll have to next chance I get to play though.

I'm waiting on this one. I know the Collectors Editions will be selling for like $40 eventually, that's when I'll bite.

Got way too many games sitting unopened right now. I'll admit, I was tempted to run out and snag it, looks pretty sweet!!

Yea, I here'ya moycon. Normally I'm in the same boat. Halo is the one exception that I allow myself to buy on release day, and at the same time I then rip it open and play as soon as I get home. My normal MO these days is to buy selectively and on sale and then I have it at the ready down the road. The latter makes much more sense which is why I usually do it, but the former makes me feel more like a kid!

I will say this....I was so cognizant of my game backlog that it prompted me to get through a couple of older games that still hadn't been cracked open yet (the most recent PoP and Dante's Inferno). Now, that did put a bit of a wrench in my idea of getting through all previous Halo games in the run-up to H4 dropping, but I felt that it helped me justify to myself the purchase :) and I was still able to get through Reach and H:CE Anniversary.

• Like 1

Anyone have any opinions on this? The E3 presentation wasn't terribly impressive to me, but I've been hearing a lot of glowing reviews from people on YouTube. I can't afford it right now, but if people convince me, I might try to scrounge up some cash in the next few weeks. I really enjoyed single player campaigns in all of the Halos and I purchased each (asides the first and ODST) on day one.

Anyone have any opinions on this? The E3 presentation wasn't terribly impressive to me, but I've been hearing a lot of glowing reviews from people on YouTube. I can't afford it right now, but if people convince me, I might try to scrounge up some cash in the next few weeks. I really enjoyed single player campaigns in all of the Halos and I purchased each (asides the first and ODST) on day one.

My opinion is.....it's Halo :) 343 did a pretty good job with taking over as far as the campaign. I have yet to play multiplayer but from what I've heard, unfortunately it's trying to be a little closer to COD, which to me, is an awful thing. I won't comment until I play it myself though. Back to campaign......as always, a great story that is somewhat confusing and it's great having Chief back. Enemy AI is even better than previous games which means you're gonna die lots. Music is ok but probably the weakest part of the game. New weapons and revisions of old ones are refreshing but they are more scarce this time. I found myself many times with no bullets and running around to find something to use. Assassinations are back and extremely satisfying. You have a few new extras......you can run anytime instead of needing an ability and there are a few new abilities such as a shield to block enemy fire but you can't use your weapon while in use, and auto-turret, and Promethean vision. Shields seem to regenerate much slower. Graphics are probably the cleanest most polished I have seen. At some points, I swear it was really people acting. Once again, the in game engine is what's used for cutscenes, so the polish is full time. Everything has been tweaked like Master Chiefs armor, the weapons, every sound is new even for old weapons and vehicles. Speaking of vehicles, there are a few new ones to play around in. There's a Mech, the Broadsword ( I think), and the Pelican, in addition to older ones like the Warthog, Mongoose, Wraith, Ghost, and Banshee.

If I were to rate it, I'd give it an 8. To me, Reach was perfect in every way. Halo 4 kinda falls short in a few places. There's no humor....at all. One thing I always loved about the Halo series was that it never took itself too seriously. The Marines and the grunts provided some really funny moments.....not this time. The tone is serious start to finish. Another thing is Chief talks way more than every other Halo game combined. I get why but I still am on the fence about it. All of the Bungie style touches are absent like a Marine looking at his weapon or The Chief touching something for no reason as he walks by.Maybe I am nitpicking but the Halo series always had it's own personality and it's kinda lost in Halo 4. Hopefully, it's just to introduce this new trilogy. 1 gameplay annoyance in my opinion, is you can now see a marker appear when a grenade is thrown close to you so you can avoid them. That shit coulda stayed in one of the testosterone oozing teenage angst game of the week shooters. Halo wasn't about holding your hand to get you through, it was about enjoying the ride with many WTF moments. Overall, as soon as you start to play, you know instantly that it's as Halo as Halo ever was and that's always a good thing.

• Like 2

I love Halo 4. I've never been a big Halo fan (though I do own the entire series as well as Halo Wars). The only game I loved was Halo Anniversary (Halo 1). But Halo 4 is now my favorite. The cutscenes are the best cutscenes I have ever seen for any video game on any platform. You watch it and you think it can't possibly be rendered on the fly. It must be canned video. The graphics are incredibly beautiful. The action is fabulous and feels like Halo but does have some Call of Duty touches. The story is really really good. Not as confusing as the others. But most of all, it feels like you're playing a movie. You really feel for Cortana. The actress really did some great work here.

Reach was okay. The graphics were pretty good. The cutscenes were horrible. How can you have such a poor framerate and weird blurring in cutscenes? The sound was okay. The story was okay. The only part of the story that resonated for me was the last stand in the last scene when you're trying your best to get Cortana, Master Chief, and the Pillar of Autumn off the planet. The action was good. Now a lot of people can forget about Reach. Reach never resonated with the hardcore Halo fans for some reason. Maybe it's because of the multiplayer changes. If you check a lot of people's ranking, they even put Halo 3 above Reach (though for me, I think Reach is better).

For anyone doubting Halo 4, Halo 4 is awesome. Multiplayer is solid. Spec Ops missions are great. Co op is great. Graphics are awesome. Think of a Halo that combines all the great aspects of all the other halo games and makes one awesome game that is the sum of all the good parts. Also, the weapons in this game are fantastic. I put 1000 hrs into Halo 2 multiplayer. This is the best yet when it comes to that.

All of the Bungie style touches are absent like a Marine looking at his weapon or The Chief touching something for no reason as he walks by.Maybe I am nitpicking

there are lots of little touches and easter eggs as well. lit if you take the enemy's knee with a plasma grenade, look at the guy's expression and reaction.

and the conan o'brien bit was funny.

There's no humor....at all. One thing I always loved about the Halo series was that it never took itself too seriously. The Marines and the grunts provided some really funny moments.....not this time.

Halo Reach had the tendency to be the same way, with enemies that were played out more seriously than they should have been. One of the reasons the original Halo still stands as my favorite, is the humorous vibe you get with the tiny grunts that goof off, say funny things, and freak out, running off with their arms flailing. On the other hand though, I think Reach still had some occasional humorous banter between the main characters, but for the most part it was pretty serious overall.

For anyone doubting Halo 4, Halo 4 is awesome. Multiplayer is solid. Spec Ops missions are great. Co op is great. Graphics are awesome. Think of a Halo that combines all the great aspects of all the other halo games and makes one awesome game that is the sum of all the good parts. Also, the weapons in this game are fantastic. I put 1000 hrs into Halo 2 multiplayer. This is the best yet when it comes to that.

Agree with everything but it besting Halo 2 multiplayer. The lack of hearing the other team taunt, talk shit, or joke around was one of the best parts of Halo 2 multiplayer hands down. It is better then Reach multiplayer for the fact that Slayer maps now have vehicles again. After so many Halo games having the same basic MP, this one is taking some time to warm up to. Weapons being marked wasn't needed at all, and the lack of matchmaking gives an unbalance that was never an issue in the past. I won't comment on all of the good improvements as there are too many to remember.

there are lots of little touches and easter eggs as well. lit if you take the enemy's knee with a plasma grenade, look at the guy's expression and reaction.

and the conan o'brien bit was funny.

Yes the little touches have carried over, but the humor did not sadly, except for the part you noted.

Halo Reach had the tendency to be the same way, with enemies that were played out more seriously than they should have been. One of the reasons the original Halo still stands as my favorite, is the humorous vibe you get with the tiny grunts that goof off, say funny things, and freak out, running off with their arms flailing. On the other hand though, I think Reach still had some occasional humorous banter between the main characters, but for the most part it was pretty serious overall.

The grunts in Covenant in Reach, being it was a prequel, didn't have the ability yet to speak "English" so the whole tone was a bit different than what we had become used to. But the Marines, they still said funny crap and did funny crap. Overall, Reach had a serious and desperate undertone but the fun stuff from other characters was always present. There is none of that in Halo 4. Cortana says some smartass stuff and Chief has good things to say though, so all is not lost.

Finished up Campaign on Legendary for the 2nd time tonight and after that play-through, the story is less confusing and extremely solid. In fact, the story is flat out awesome. I did notice that even though both times I played thru on Legendary, tonight, after the credits, the final part of the story, I got a quick extra scene. I won't spoil it, but it didn't make me too happy.

Go out and buy it, you will not regret it.