IGNORED

Your first game rental?

Last rental, now there's a challenge. I have no idea. Had to be something for PS1.

Wow, that's a great question...what was my last rental? I think it might've been Harley's Humongous Adventure for SNES, or maybe World Heroes or Mortal Kombat 3. But by that point my brother was starting to rent games of his own, and I can't remember who picked out what.

Last stuff I remember renting was for GameCube...I think it was whatever that last Turok game was (4?), and...both of those James Bond games? I remember one was Nightfire, I think we also rented Agent Under Fire.

It was right before Hollywood Video closed, they were having some kind of deal.

But my friends have rented 360 games from Family Video much more recently than that. Usually if some new game comes out, or if we just feel like playing something different, we'll go find something four player and hope that you don't need more than one or two Xboxes to play it.

First: Trojan, Wizards & Warriors or Legend of Kage. Rented Wizards & Warriors on multiple occasions because it's so great.

Last: Mortal Kombat or Flashback on Genesis.

I don't think I rented anything after the SNES/Genesis era.

Mega Man 2 for the NES. It later became my very favotire NES game. I rented it something like 10 times. It was my go to weekend game when I was in grade school. I later rented a pile of Genesis games and not much since then.

I do remember the only console I ever rented was the Sega CD with Sonic CD and Sewar Shark. Sewar Shark is also a favorite of mine now.

Rental isn't what is used to be, and it might not be an option in another year or so :( .

I don't ever recall the video stores my parents ever visited that rented games pre-NES.

The first one I recall I rented was Wizards and Warriors at Randall Video (defunct) in St. Charles Il. I was really bummed because I

really wanted Contra (rented out at the time). I was a big fan of the arcade game. The damn game was always rented out! But, WW was

in it's own merit still a fun game...

Renting games for me was like, the thing to do way back when! I think it was only when PS1 was finished that I stopped renting games. My first was Coleco, then NES (lots), then Genesis and SNES...then PS1 and GB Advance! Rented all sorts o' crap, lol. In the 80s it was really the only way to play tons of games without the regret of buying stinkers (which there were many!). SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many rentals!...and I remember renting a N64, that was pretty sweet. Go Crusin' USA and the Star Wars game...we beat the shit outta Shadows of the Empire, the Hoth scene was amazing. Pretty much the last Star Wars game I ever gave more than two shakes of a rat's ass about.

I dont remember anyone renting out games here until the NES. The first one I remember renting was Snake, Rattle and Roll, then Little Nemo, both of which I bought later. I didn't rent too many on NES, just a few on Genesis. When it came to the N64 we were renting a game every weekend it seemed. I dont remember renting after N64, other than Gamefly.

I can't remember exactly what my last game rental was, but it was certainly an SNES game. Maybe StuntRace FX.

I rented *tons* of games throughout the whole NES and SNES eras. It was what I did on weekends.

I kind of miss video stores and being able to go there and browse the selection and pick up a game and a movie for the weekend. All of the video stores in my neighbourhood are gone now. The last one left just closed up shop this year.

• Like 1

I think the last one I rented was Darkstalkers for the 360. Atleast I think that was the name of it. I never actually played it. I was just in the Blockbuster and thought I had heard good things about it and I had nothing to do for a few days. It didn't work out too well and I never even turned it on. Renting games used to be a great way to get a feel for the game and more then likely beat the thing in the weekend. Now if you rent a game you pay through the damned teeth and that just makes it less fun. Most places around here want $5 a night for a game anymore and I'm just not doing that. Maybe that is why game rental has gone down hill around here, money.

During the NES days is was a good bit cheaper and you could beat the game for $5 or less in total days paid for. It was much better then buying a game and my mother could afford it so it was great. Hell I was happy to have the NES in those days, so renting a game on the weekend was like a vacation to me. If the grade school me could see the collection I have now he might develop heart problems from the over load of joy.

• Like 1

The first game rental I can remember specifically was DecapAttack together with a rental Genesis, it's a game I still highly enjoy. Splatterhouse 2 came home soon after and I remember really wanting to play Chakan. Haha, Genesis horror-themed games clearly spoke to me as a child.

I clearly remember the first time I saw video games at our movie store. I rented MagMax for Nes. I was so disappointed that my dad took me back so i could get a different one. I then brought home the first Mega Man game and proceeded to beat it three times that weekend. It was awesome!

• Like 1

Must've been summer of '81 or '82 we rented an Atari 2600, Combat, Space Invaders, & Pac-Man from Discount Video.

10 yrs later living w/ 2 housemates I rented Marble Madness & either Immortal or Die Hard for one's NES from Parrot Video & Tan. I do recall later buying Die Hard & BaseWars outright from Toys R Us.

How's that for memory? :)

Edited by RJ

Back to the Future 2 & 3 for the NES - I wanted to drive the DeLorean, and instead I got Ace Ventura in Spandex in Super Mario Bros Downtown!

The last game I rented - Illusion of Gaia for the SNES. One of my favorite console RPGs of all time.

I remember renting games with my cousin who had an NES, but as for myself, I remember renting Ghouls & Ghosts, DJ Boy and Fatal Labyrinth (for the Genny) early on, not sure which was first, I'm thinking Ghouls & Ghosts, and I remember renting Pit-Fighter for the Genesis a bunch of times before finally getting tired of it, and that may have been my last rental, but can't stake my life on either claim.

Now that I think of it I remember renting Forgotten Worlds and Michael Jackson's Moonwalker very early into my Genesis life too.

Forgotten World I thought was awesome just because it had a NAPALM gun. And interesting enough, due to my love fore mass death & destruction and the classic line from Apocalypse Now I would always use JUST that wepaon even though it was a 'boring' weapon to use as opposed to the lasers and flamethrower I've come to the conclusion it is also the best gun in the game, in the Genny version at least.

Only weapon that seem to kill those scarabs in the Egyptian level and make MAD money.

Edited by Torr

I rented two games at once from local video store rental place in NC in the early 90's. It was Pirates!Gold and Zero Tolerance , both for the Sega Genesis. I still love both of them. Was my first chance to really get into a early fps for the system. I was blown away by it. Stayed up for damn near 2 days straight playing. Needless to say I think when we finally returned them to the video store and they were hella late lol.

And the first system I rented was a Sega Saturn from a Blockbuster around 95. $100 deposit and $30 to rent. Got i rented Tomb Raider to go with it. Got home and the system was faulty. So I took it back and rented a PSX. Got Resident Evil to go with it. Man was I happy with the decision after playing it. :evil:

I cant remember. It was around 92' because I started renting a bit with the SNES and not the NES. It may have been Joe and Mac or Super Adventure Island or maybe even Actraiser (which I liked so much I went out and bought it). I remember renting those three games so whichever came out first, thats the one I rented first.