IGNORED

Season 9 Round 7 - Jackal

CGQuarterly

Welcome to round 7 of the 9th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

The first 9 games have been pre-selected and entered into a random list generator. So you guys know the games, but not the order.

Let's try 1-week rounds this season.

This round ends on Wednesday, June 13th.

Title: Jackal

Developer: Konami

Publisher: Nintendo

Released: September, 1988 (US)

http://youtu.be/ikM-VAsii1k

Rules:

Scores so far:

Current standings:

1. Austin 45

2. peculiarsatyr 34

3. asponge 21

4. atarilovesyou 14

5(t). roadrunner 6

5(t). jblenkle 6

7. theKLT 2

8(t). Jibbajaba 1

8(t). cparsley 1

8(t). mihcael 1

8(t). LarcenTyler 1

Wow...this game gives you virtually no time for a screenshot...gotta take it before the game actually ends, I guess...

Jackal - 17,100

I just lost my first score due to this. I got something above 100,000 and lost the oportunity for the snapshot...

You don't 'need' a snapshot, it just makes it a bit more fun. I rarely do so, I just write it down (quickly) and post. We're all pretty good with our word here in NES HSC!

So if you can remember it, just post. But err on the low side if you can't remember 'exactly'...you'll play again and beat that score anyway! Have fun!

Thanks atarilovesyou!

I managed to get a snapshot for my second try :)

I'm updating this post with my scores and letting the latest snapshot.

To get the snapshot I start recording my game when I get life 0. To do that I need to make a little pause right after losing life 1 to start recording, I hope it isn't against rules...

1) 146,650!

2) 313,650

3) 387,740

4) 408,080

http://youtu.be/JOurs1BuQmA

post-32348-0-39211500-1339592019_thumb.png

post-32348-0-62841300-1339265128_thumb.png

• Like 1

I'm recording my gameplay of others HSC and publishing them.

I usually prefer to publish in my blogs to avoid spoilers, but I noticed Nes HSC begins with videos, so I think it would be better to put my video for the my best score here.

I like to share my gaming, you'll can see how I play and comment if you like.

I think it's a good way to improve our gaming experience through the net.

• Like 1

We're pretty good about sharing the wealth when it comes to tips, tricks (as long as they're not cheats, but we talk about cheats as well!) with these games. I think it's safe to say that Super C was pummelled thoroughly into the ground...who knows, perhaps Jackal is next? I'm gonna give it a go early next week, I'm smacked with work right now!

By the way, anybody remember playing this in the arcade?..it was called "Top Gunner" where I was from...loved it! Super loud and noisy machine, and there was no backing track music until you made it pretty far into the game...so when I heard it, I was like 'OH YEAAAAAAAH!" (much like the above photo)...but the game was tough as balls. I always remember watching the video attract mode and noticed the jeeps in the demo could fire their machine guns in other directions, not just straight up (which I always thought was pretty lame back then! Not so much now). I thought maybe the machines I was playing on were broken!

Wasn't fast enough to get a screenshot this time. I don't think that's too bad for the second time ever playing this. This is a creative game. I like it. It's nice that the difficulty doesn't ramp up too fast so that you have an opportunity to figure out what's what before they throw the smack down on you.

I really prefer the Advantage over the regular game pad for this one. The joystick feels much more natural and I found myself mashing the d-pad, as if pushing harder is going to make the jeep move faster. I'm not sure my insurance covers carpal-tunnel from playing video games, lol.

By the way, anybody remember playing this in the arcade?

I laughed when I read this because I downloaded the NES game manual earlier and it states, "Congratulations! You now own the authentic Konami home version of Jackal, one of Konami's many original arcade hits." So corny. Konami....F*** Yeah!

Can those laser things be blown up?

No.

The laser speed depends on how many of them are on screen at once. The first one you encounter will be the only one on screen, and it will shoot very quickly. You need to time this precisely. After you get through it and the second turret comes on screen, the lasers will alternate, giving you more time to go past the second turret. When you get the third one on screen, the pattern slows down even further to where the last one should be a cakewalk.

I had 125k something before i died at the battleship boss.

I got past those lasers, i did get killed by the first one tho.

But got past the others with no problem.

I did better at finding and saving soldiers too.

edit - fixed spelling :)

Edited by roadrunner

Saving the soldiers is crucial to racking up a good score in this game. Plus, the flashing ones upgrade your weapons (sometimes even when you drop them off), and you get extra lives from the points.

There are also hidden stars throughout the levels if you bomb/grenade in the right places. They usually upgrade your weapons, especially useful if you have died.

Saving the soldiers is crucial to racking up a good score in this game. Plus, the flashing ones upgrade your weapons (sometimes even when you drop them off), and you get extra lives from the points.

There are also hidden stars throughout the levels if you bomb/grenade in the right places. They usually upgrade your weapons, especially useful if you have died.

Good info. Yeah, i seen some of those guys flashing.

I thought i misspelled soldiers. :facepalm:

Good info. Yeah, i seen some of those guys flashing.

I thought i misspelled soldiers. :facepalm:

LOL, no worries. :)

Speaking of picking up the flashing guys, again, they upgrade your weapons. First, to the stock missiles. Then, to missiles that do splash damage in two directions. Lastly, the missiles will do splash damage in all four directions. The splash damage is excellent--even the slightest touch will kill most enemies in one hit. Basically, the goal is to upgrade your grenades/missiles, then attack enemies with the splash damage, so you can keep far away from them (and therefore having less chance of getting hit by something and dying).

• Like 1

post-27362-0-22543200-1339350457_thumb.png

I was doing pretty well until I got to this part with a train firing missles, a field full of mines and shortly after, a truck spraying mortars. I lost three men within about 15 seconds and more importantly my upgraded weapon. I picked up a red star in the swamp area that seemed to increase the distance of the missle splash damage.

I picked up a red star in the swamp area that seemed to increase the distance of the missle splash damage.

I was mistaken about the red star. My son and I were playing earlier and the splash damage was the same even at the beginning of the game. So I don't know what, if anything, it did. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention before.