IGNORED

HSC Round 4.37: Snow Bros

So I've been trying out the Tengen Genesis port today. It was released in 1993 (for comparison, the arcade is 1990 and the NES is 1991), so maybe it wasn't a 'hot' title anymore, but that gave them lots of time to get it right. It's really very good. I'd call it arcade perfect. I was worried about the Geny's colour palette, but the Tengen programmers did a good job at preserving the bright look and feel of the original. Oddly, some of the levels have a palette swap (i.e. green levels are pink and pink levels are green) for some inexplicable reason. The levels play essentially identically as the arcade, to where the same combo strategies will work for you to get the dollar bills. They keep the sushi in this one too. There are two difficulty levels, easy and hard. I'd say that the easy mode plays just a touch easier than the MAME defaults we're using. The hard mode seems harder than the MAME defaults we're using (for example the green lizard's fire breath travels much further). There are also an additional 20 levels in Gen version apparently, but I didn't get up that far. It's really too bad that Tengen never made any SNES games.

I actually managed to spell SNOW on the Gen version for the extra life. w00t! Here's a side-by-side screenshot of the elephant level 14:

290smyg.png2921ant.png

Here's a video of the gameplay:

And here's my Gen high score, floor 21. I managed to beat the 2nd boss but then had no clue what to do.

20kugp0.png

The interest level seems to be high for this week's game. From Australia to South Carolina, then to Windsor.

Hopefully the interest is there from a solid 8 or so players in season competition next year.

As for this year, B and C are lurking right behind me, waiting for me to drop the ball.

I'll give er a go Sunday Morning to get a half of what BillyHW got on Snow Bros.

Looking forward to seeing what Cynicaster is going to submit.

So I've been trying out the Tengen Genesis port today.

<snip>

Thanks for posting, very interesting. I agree, from that video, the Genny version looks pretty much indistinguishable from the arcade version. The music sounds a bit different though; in fact, I think it might sound better on the port.

Gotta love how they always try to put stupid back stories to home games. So two snowmen are trying to rescue a human princess? Seriously? I wonder if the snowmen have carrots for dicks so they can poke the princess after saving her.

Yeah, if I'd had a Genesis back in the day, I would have definitely bought this game. It's essentially arcade-perfect.

As for the sound, it does sound a bit different. More Genesisy I guess. Not sure if you could call it better or worse though. When I played the Gen version, I was already used to the arcade sound, so sometimes just being used to something causes you to automatically think that they "broke" something in the port.

There was a story added in the NES port too, but I'm not sure if it's even the same story. I just skipped passed them. It would be neat to find out if they are different made up stories.

And as for two snowmen trying to rescue a human princess, you know what they say: If it exists, there's...