IGNORED

Seaquest for the 800

phaeron

Oops, guess I goofed up converting a couple of graphics tables. Sorry about that.

I'll be taking a break from porting for now... got some other things to look at. If I do port another one, though, you folks will be the first to know.

phaeron, thank you for porting this and other game. I like Seaquest as much as I like Seafox, which I played in my childhood very much. It is very similar to Seaquest, but shooting takes places in vertical direction and graphics is different.

I added your entries to my site database:

Seaquest : http://gury.atari8.info/details_games/6485.htm

Midnite Magic: http://gury.atari8.info/details_games/6484.htm

• 1 year later...

phaeron, thank you for porting this and other game. I like Seaquest as much as I like Seafox, which I played in my childhood very much. It is very similar to Seaquest, but shooting takes places in vertical direction and graphics is different.

I added your entries to my site database:

Seaquest : http://gury.atari8.info/details_games/6485.htm

Midnite Magic: http://gury.atari8.info/details_games/6484.htm

Phaeron's recent Stampede 2600 conversion got me looking for his other 2600 conversion projects as well. The links above are obsolete now. Can someone please provide new links or attach those files here? Thanks.

Update 1: The Seaquest files are already located in this thread. So, I'm just looking for the Midnite Magic file(s).

Update 2: Please never mind about this entire request. I answered my own questions and found the Midnite Magic link here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/198991-midnight-magic-for-atari-800/

Edited by atx4us
  • Like 1

Hi atx4us,

Sorry about false links. My site runs mainly on PHP now, resulting all pages must end up with .php:

For example:

http://gury.atari8.info/details_games/6485.php

http://gury.atari8.info/details_games/6484.php

Greetings,

Gury

Gury,

Greetings to you - I'm glad to see that you're still around! Thanks for the updated links.

real great work !!!

(as usual).

thanks a lot.

Yeah, there are many 2600 games that will be great to have them in a8... Also I think Phoenix is a great choice http://www.atariage.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/icon_smile.gif

Warlords. Yes, I know Castle Crisis exists but that is inspired by the arcade Warlords version and not the 2600 original. A8 could use the 2600 paddles for 4-player matches but I guess a 5200 conversion would need some additional love so 2600 paddles could be accessed using a MasterPlay or other controller adapter plus offering 2/4 player support using 5200 controllers modded as paddles.

A more spruced up version of River Raid would also nice but the existing A8 version seems to be a slightly updated conversion from the 2600 original.

Edited by Lynxpro

Dont we already have Warlords ?! Though Castle Crisis is so good I can't imagine anything better could be done ;)

Yar's Strike Is good to play despite the bugs - the author Thelen made some comments when we gave it the HSC treatment in last season's Mega Space Blastathon round :)

(I've not played either original 2600 game)

Dont we already have Warlords ?! Though Castle Crisis is so good I can't imagine anything better could be done ;)

Yar's Strike Is good to play despite the bugs - the author Thelen made some comments when we gave it the HSC treatment in last season's Mega Space Blastathon round :)

(I've not played either original 2600 game)

I don't think that version of Warlords was an official Atari release.

I'm surprised Castle Crisis didn't just port the arcade version since the arcade hardware had a slower 6502 in it than the A8s. Maybe the source code wasn't available...

Bryan did Castle Crysis in 2004 according to Fandal's site.

I doubt he had any access to source code, in fact I don't think the source is available for many arcade games at all.

Slower 6502 in arcade games doesn't necessarily mean an easy port - they generally made the machines with specs required to run the game at hand. Chances are the graphics hardware has features that the computer can't easily replicate.

Missile Command arcade version also runs on a slower 6502 but the graphics has special attribute area at the bottom for score/status and the multicolour resolution is beyond what the computer is able to generate.

• Like 1

Bryan did Castle Crysis in 2004 according to Fandal's site.

I doubt he had any access to source code, in fact I don't think the source is available for many arcade games at all.

Slower 6502 in arcade games doesn't necessarily mean an easy port - they generally made the machines with specs required to run the game at hand.  Chances are the graphics hardware has features that the computer can't easily replicate.

Missile Command arcade version also runs on a slower 6502 but the graphics has special attribute area at the bottom for score/status and the multicolour resolution is beyond what the computer is able to generate.

Fascinating. I assumed screen resolution may be an issue but possibly the only issue. At least the Pokey code mostly could be used...same with the Atari Games version of Tetris...

It also brings another question to my mind...which 6502 platform is best/easiest to port titles over to the A8/5200 from. For example, would it be easier to port a title from the C64 or from the Lynx? Say, with a not so graphically intense title such as Paperboy...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I just noticed, for the first time, that the colors for the algae seem too dark on the 8-bit version. I don't really mind the colors being darker (they seem generally darker in some areas on the 8-bit version anyway -- at least with my chosen palette [XE] compared with Stella's palette); but the green looks nearly black (a little lighter in PAL, though).

Any help there @phaeron?

Atari 2600

sq2600.thumb.png.c19bc76e22b009ced1d0483400e47f54.png

Atari 8-Bit

sqa8.thumb.png.4ebddd72d1909166b235c24684639a7d.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sikor said:

@MrFish: maybe You use wrong color palette on Altirra? Yes, it is darkner then 2600, but on real hardware and on Altirra I have green color as green... Screenshot from altirra.

Thanks, but I already noted in my post above that it is lighter in PAL mode (what you're showing). I'm speaking more in regard to NTSC mode (in my screenshot).

I think this is mainly due to the difference in default palette in the emulators, though there are also differences in the video signal produced by the two systems. When I port the game, the color values are untouched, so color $10 on the 2600 becomes $10 on the 800. This is necessary because the games frequently have dependencies on the exact color values used, even reusing the same data for non-color values.

You can make Altirra's display brighter in Adjust Colors by using brightness 0%, contrast 100%, saturation 33%. Seaquest uses luma 0 for the sea green so it is very sensitive to the color settings here. This will of course also affect other program displays, and is a bit more saturated than you would ordinarily see. Boosting the overall intensity of the palette will also brighten the seabed but will also cause the high end of the palette to blow out unless you have HDR display enabled. Part of the reason for the overall slightly dark default palette is to avoid unwanted color shifts due to this; for this reason, one of the easiest ways to improve reproduction of the original colors is to raise your monitor brightness so there is more headroom for bright saturated colors (which is essentially what most low-end HDR monitors do).