IGNORED

I don't like Sonic, will I like Knuckles?

ComputerSpaceFan

I'm not a big fan of Sonic's various classic games, I know that probably makes me a bad retro gamer, but I just find most of his titles consist of "run really fast to the right until you hit some spikes and lose all your rings .... repeat"

BUT I do own a Genesis with a 32X attachment (which I love) and I happened across this video review of Knuckles' Chaotix and this game looks pretty fun. Instead of going really fast until hitting spikes, this game seems more exploratory and platformy. And then when I saw the 3D bits (like at 2:34 and 5:29) this game suddenly looked a whole lot more appealing.

Anyone got any advice? Is Knuckles distinctly different from the regular Sonic type of game?

My nearby retro store has a copy, although they want quite a bit of money for it so I am guessing it's either rare or highly sought after?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeNKArddFJg

Basically all (retro) Sonic games are exploratory and platform-ish, you just need to make a conscious effort to play them that way. Yeah, they can be blazed through (there are people who play them just to speed run), but the stages are massive and there are loads of secrets to find. If you don't take the time to find them, well.. you won't find them. :)

People generally complain about Knuckles Chaotix because it's slower than the other Sonic games. Personally, I really, really enjoyed it, but one of the main things it has working against it is the hub setup. I like how it's implemented (picking characters and stages), but level-wise you have to revisit the same stages four or five times each, with there being only minor changes to each revision. This leads things to get a little repetitive.

• Like 1

It's different, sure. I don't know if you'd like it, though. The exploration is less worthwhile than in the standard Sonic games, because everywhere's the same. You're really just making your way through repetitive re-used areas until you get to a boss fight.

I thought the old Sonic games were far better and had a TON more thought put into the stage layouts, but I do know people who prefer Chaotix. You'll still be going really fast though, as it's the only way to make it up a lot of ramps & loops. It's not terribly rare, but it is sought after, because it's the only Sonic game on the system.

The 3d stages ARE great, BTW. Wish they'd done more of that.

edit: Austin's 100% correct also.

Edited by Rex Dart

Chaotix levels are horribly repetitious. You're meant to use the ring-stretch-flying-move to fly past most of the level without ever looking around. So if you were looking for great level design that encourages taking your time and fully exploring levels, you'll LOATHE Chaotix with all your being! :mad: :D

The 3d stages ARE great' date=' BTW. Wish they'd done more of that.[/quote']

QFT

The 3D stages are really the ONLY part of the game I enjoy. If the entire game had been just the 3D stages (with a bit more design to them as you got further along), I'd have been overjoyed with the game.

Edited by Chilly Willy
  • Like 1

I just played 10 minutes of Chaotix the other night when testing out a big emulator installation on a friend's Xbox.

Man, this is a dull, dull, bad game. There is no exploration, just the start, the "tunnel" that you follow, and the end. I didn't even see an enemy in those 10 minutes. Not one. It's like a beta version of a game where enemies & objects aren't yet implemented. At least it's colorful & the music is pretty good. The different characters are fun at first, with their different abilities, but at some point you realize there's just not much to do in the game other than running to the right, then the left, then the right again, and it doesn't matter which animal you've chosen to play as.

I wonder if there's some cheat to just play the bonus stages.

I just played 10 minutes of Chaotix the other night when testing out a big emulator installation on a friend's Xbox.

Man, this is a dull, dull, bad game. There is no exploration, just the start, the "tunnel" that you follow, and the end. I didn't even see an enemy in those 10 minutes. Not one. It's like a beta version of a game where enemies & objects aren't yet implemented. At least it's colorful & the music is pretty good. The different characters are fun at first, with their different abilities, but at some point you realize there's just not much to do in the game other than running to the right, then the left, then the right again, and it doesn't matter which animal you've chosen to play as.

I wonder if there's some cheat to just play the bonus stages.

How far did you play? If you start a new game, you are thrown into a sort of training session with four basic, simplistic levels. I don't even think there are enemies in them. After that, you can pick a character and are tossed into the main hub, from which then you can pick what stage you go to next (it's randomized at first, but I believe a power-up found in various stages lets you pick one somewhat manually).

Oh no. God no.

There are a couple of things you need to understand about this game. The first is that it was originally designed as a legitimate extension of the Sonic series, called Sonic Crackers. The two characters tethered together were Sonic and Tails, and it wasn't that different from a traditional Sonic game outside of the tether (which brings more annoyance to the game than innovation).

The second thing is that the 32X game is an unfinished mess. Levels seem to go on forever, you're often saddled with sidekicks you'll hate with a burning passion (Explodey and Weighty or whatever the hell they were called will drive you bananas), and there's a button that resets your position onscreen, costing you ten rings. The fact that you even need this feature, and the fact that you can have negative rings, makes the game feel even more unprofessional and slapdash (sorry Russ). It's a game in search of a purpose, and in the end, it never finds one.

• 7 months later...

So I just stumbled across this episode of Game Sack where they talk about hidden gems and if you fast forward to the 12:00 minute mark they discuss Knuckles Chaotix in pretty good depth. They do say it takes a few playings to understand the charm of this game so I guess I should ask those of you who have played it if you've given it a few attempts? The game is still sitting in my local retro store and I'm still on the fence about getting it.

Anyone have any further input having watched what Game Sack says here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMVXBy7cLo0&list=UUT6LaAC9VckZYJUzutUW3PQ&index=35

Knuckles Chaotix is certainly a horse of another color. It looks like a normal Sonic game at a glance, and while it has some really nice graphics, the game warped by the "tethered by a ring" aspect. It becomes more of a puzzle game. The levels are very repetitive, I find myself wondering if I've somehow backtracked or not because everything seems so similar. And darn near NOTHING ever kills you. You just run out of time, or do like I do and just turn it off to play something better.

I wish I still owned Knuckles Chaotix , but I can't say it was that good of a game. I owned it back in '94 when the 32X came out and only lasted for a year.

Pros:

- the 3D bonus rounds were fun and innovative. I loved those.

- I liked the huge red Metal Sonic boss. Can't really remember any other bosses.

Cons:

- as mentioned many times -the tethering concerpt is more frustrating than fun

- uninspired level designs

- absolutely nothing looks like it belongs in Sonic's universe, other than the characters

• 2 weeks later...