IGNORED

Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor Xbox 360 Kinect

onlysublime

alright, I preordered my copy of the game for $45 from Amazon! If there's anyone that wants to play co-op online multiplayer or versus multiplayer in this game, let me know!

biggrin.gif

for those curious on the preorder bonuses:

Amazon gets the Carbon Assassin Armory DLC:

Savannah Armor

: strike hard and fast with high-speed bullet velocity

Storm Armor

: ENGAGE DISTANT PREY WITH INCREASED SHOOTING RANGE

Best Buy gets the Chrome Blitzer Armory: DLC - Xbox 360

Impact

: Outmaneuver the enemy with increased turning speeds

Tiger

: Tear down their defenses with devastating destructive power

Gamestop gets the Iron Guard Armory

ROCK

: SHRUG OFF ENEMY ADVANCES WITH REINFORCED DEFENSIVE POWER

JAGUAR

: OUTPACE THE ATTACKERS WITH ACCELERATED TRAVEL SPEEDS

Edited by onlysublime

• 2 weeks later...

but I do hope that this is a great game for those that get it.

Be curious to see AA members reviews of this game. It's getting dismal reviews unfortunately.

Apparently, utilizing the Kinect while in the heat of battle, is one of the biggest gripes.

I like it. The first co-op mission, Urban Warfare, is a lot of fun! You're on a city grid with 3 other VTs and you have to seek out and destroy some enemy antennas while handling troops, vehicles, mines, etc. And you have to do it within a certain amount of time.

I do wish the levels were longer though. Like the Urban Warfare level was a lot of fun but it ends after a few short minutes.

They ramp up the difficulty to keep the levels long by having you repeat it because it's quite easy to die. I don't think I've ever gone without dying once because the levels are so scripted. There are plenty of things you can't do until it's time to do it. But the difficulty, man, it's kind of like a Japanese platform game where you have to learn the level pattern and the enemy pattern in order to succeed.

Like on the level I'm on now, you have to go down a tight city corridor, flanked by tall city buildings so you know a lot of bad guys are lurking on fire escapes, rooftops, around corners, etc. with RPGs and machine guns. There's a guy around one corner at 3 o'clock and the first time you do the level, he'll start pummeling you with fire while you're distracted by the guys at 11 and 12 o'clock. So after you die, you know that when you get to that intersection, you have to immediately turn right to handle him before taking out the guys in front of you. And they give you such a limited supply of ammo in this level that if you weren't extremely efficient at the early parts of the level, you can't finish the level as it ends with some heavy vehicles attacking you. Some of the levels have variability in where the enemies are but other levels, they're exactly in the same locations so once you know where they are and have a plan of attack, when you die, you have a much better understanding of what to do.

here's my tips on getting the controls rock solid:

I'm going to go back to see if any of these tips below need to be tweaked.

I will say that some of the motions in the tutorial instructions are wrong or a little misleading.

You have to be very regimented in your technique and what hand to use. For example, all the instructions for the right hand have to be used with the right hand. All the instructions for the left hand have to be used for the left hand.

Let's start by getting some nomenclature out of the way. The 12 o'clock position is straight in front of you. 6 o'clock would be right behind you. The cockpit view is where you see all the instrumentation. The viewport view is when you're looking through the viewport. The periscope view is when you're looking through the periscope.

For example, to select what type of ammo you're going to use, you can only use your right hand. To pull the left instrument pod, you have to use your left hand.

I'll start off with the wrong information. In the tutorial, it says to select the heat rounds, you put your hand over the heat rounds button and then press downward. In the viewport viewing screen where the viewport takes up nearly the whole screen, this doesn't work. To select the heat rounds button, you put your right hand over the button and then push the hand forward. Pushing down on the button doesn't work except when you are in the cockpit view where the viewport is far away. The regular ammo button requires that you take your right hand across your body and then you move your right hand downward to press the button. Now, you can push the ammo buttons while in cockpit mode instead of viewport mode. I actually think it's easier to select the ammo buttons in cockpit mode but of course, that means switching from viewport mode to cockpit mode, then selecting ammo, then selecting viewport mode again. So there's the debate between the more imprecise shorter method or the more-steps-but-easier-to-do method.

The instrument pods on the right and left are probably the trickiest controls. To pull the right pod out toward you, you reach out at 2 o'clock (imagine that 12 o'clock is straight in front of you) and then you swing your arm out wide toward 3 o'clock. To push the pod back, if your arm is in the 3 o'clock position, you can swing it back toward the 2 o'clock position. If your arm is lying down, you can just raise your hand back to the 2 o'clock for it to swing back. If you're having problems with pulling the pod out and then having it automatically being pushed back and you're lowering your right arm, you can minimize this problem by dropping your right hand from the 3 o'clock position to down and out of view instead of just dropping your hand.

With the pod pull toward you, you can activate the light but raising your right hand to the switch as if you're doing a "hail, Hitler" pose and then drop your arm. To turn off the light, raise your arm back to the "hail, Hitler pose. To vent the cockpit, you reach toward the handle, grab it and then put your hand straight down. To activate the self-destruct, take your right hand and cross over your body to get to the self-destruct switch and push forward.

The pod on the left is just the mirror of the pod on the right. So to pull it out, put your left hand out to about 10 o'clock and then pull your left hand outward toward 9 o'clock. To push the pod back, if your arm is in the 9 o'clock position, you can swing it back toward the 10 o'clock position. If your arm is lying down, you can just raise your hand back to the 10 o'clock for it to swing back. If you're having problems with pulling the pod out and then having it automatically being pushed back, you can minimize this problem by dropping your right hand from the 9 o'clock position to down and out of view instead of just dropping your hand.

For the periscope, raise your right hand straight up as if you want to answer a question in school. Don't be swinging your arm forward as you're raising your hand as a forward motion can be interpreted as you wanting to adjust the viewport screen.

To open the viewport, you hold your right arm horizontally forward, wait until the hand grabs the hand and then raise it to open or lower it to close it. This is why the periscope motion can be confused if you push your arm forward as you're raising your hand as the forward motion is for the viewport.

You can go from the periscope mode directly to the viewport mode. So if you're in periscope mode, just push both arms forward to switch to viewport mode. Similarly, to go from viewport mode to periscope mode, raise your right hand straight up. You do not have to go from viewport to cockpit to periscope nor do you have to go from periscope to cockpit to viewport.

When you start a mission, you're in the cockpit mode. To be able to see where you're going to go, you have to switch to viewport mode by pushing both arms forward. If your hand is automatically on the grab handle for the viewport, raise it up to take it off the handle. If you pull it down, you'll close the viewport which is a problem I notice a lot of reviewers having.

The thing with the controls is that you can't be sloppy with your arm motions and you have to use the correct hand for the correct motion.

I'm going to record a tutorial video to show how I do the motions. And then the first few missions to show how I did them. But first, I want to have some fun.

smile.gif

here are some videos I made. I'm on mission 5 so there's only 4 videos:

this is level 3 which is a fun one. If you're wondering why I'm firing at the ground so much, there are tons of mines planted in the ground. The first time I played it, my VT got ripped to shreds. I was walking on one leg and the other half of the VT was dragging on the ground.

here's the first level

Edited by onlysublime