IGNORED

3do-super ufo controller.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been relisted.

I was the one who bought those 2. I didn't realize they were such rare joysticks. I was offered 19.99 + shipping to buy it now when called the dealer but I decided to take my chances on this auction. If I would haver seen this, I would have taken the 19.99 BIN.Luckily it went for $16 and change.

That's the bad news for everyone else.

I've got some good news for everyone. As it turns out, there is no daisy chain adapter to plug another controller into it. Therefore, you can't plug 2 controllers in and play Samurai showdown or Street Fighter 2 Grand Master Challenge 2 players. So the most number of joysticks one needs to own is 1 (except if it's for collectors purposes)

Ironically, actually plugging it into a 3DO came up with 5 weird things.

First as I mentioned before you can't Daisy Chain so it has to be at the end of a chain. (Player 3 on an 3 player game)

Second. I tired plugging it straight into a GoldStar 3DO for 3 different games and it doesn't work, so it can't be an only joystick. (not sure about Panasonic)

The third is that it must be plugged in before you turn on the 3DO, or else it won't recognize it.

The fourth is very weird. I have 2 Naki 3DO controllers ghat I bought 2 for 10 including shipping. I tested it with PGA tour, the only 4 player game in my collection. With 3 joysticks, you can have the Naki as 1UP and a Goldstar pad as 2UP and have the Super UFo be the 3UP, but if the Goldstar is 1Up and the Naki is 2UP, the Super UFO is not recognized as 3up. It seems since the Super UFO AND the Naki is not 3DO licensed, there is problem with it working with the 3DO system directly, hence rule 3. But it will work inside a 3DO controller and understands 3DO controllers but gets thrown a curveball when dealing with a Naki. But since the UFO directly deals with a Goldstar, the Naki in front of it doesn't matter. I bought a Pansonic 3DO arcade stick and the rules still apply. Both Super UFO's work well plugged into a Panasonic or a Goldstar controller. Just remember, to get it to work, you must follow the above rules,and you'll be fine.

Finally, if you screw in the joystick nub before you power it on, the joystick will read off center and the buttons won't work, bt if you screw it in after you press a button on a controller before it, it will work.

I'll consider trading or selling one of the Super UFO's. By the way, I'm planning on turning one of the Nakis into a part of a buton programmable, ambidextrous joystick system, meaning I'm sacrificing 1 controller gut for each system I own to get a right handed fighting stick. now I can add 3DO to it. I just cant have the Super UFO as player 2 if this is player 1.

• 1 year later...

IMG_20130806_025919_597_zps5b189470.jpg

I got one of these, lol. Also pictured is another off-brand one that surprisingly has the daisy chain port (most generic ones dont)

I want to say I got this at Electronics Boutique for super cheap back when they were blowing out 3DO stuff, but I could be wrong. I've probably got about a dozen different 3DO gamepads. Thing with the 3DO is the stock pads are fairly useless for anything that involves diagonal movements.. ie Fighting Games. Neat pad otherwise.. the daisy chain port, etc.. but controls are just awful.

There were a ton of 3rd party controllers but most were awful. If memory serves the people that made the SG Pads for the SNES and Genesis made a 3DO controller that was basically the SG Genesis pad that was 3DO compatible. That one was OK. Capcom also made the funky SF2 pad with the angled buttons for the 3DO. I want to say somebody released a SNES controller adapter that you could use with the 3DO and I want to say I had it.. but i haven't seen it in years to confirm.. it might be in the middle of one of my 5ft diamater classic gaming wireballs.

I remember thinking for years that Way of the Warrior would be a good game if i only had a good gamepad. Well, at least it was a hope for a period of time.

The CD-i also had similar joypad woes. Anything other than the Suncom pad was teerrrible!

Since then I purchased a Super UFO SNES-to-3DO adapter. It works, but has the same caveats as the Super UFO joystick earlier. Don't know if they work perfectly fine on a Panasonic, or if Panasonic 3DOs had problems with Super UFO's too? A little help.

OK so that does exist, alright! :)

Make sure you read my above post abut 3 or 4 posts ago to read some of the problems I have with Super UFO stuff. And there are Super UFO SNES-to-3DO converters on Ebay right now for $25.00 + $17 for insured shipping from Canada to the US or $11 untracked and uninsured. Search SNES and 3DO in the same search. There is also another brand which is WAY more expensive, but probably works better.

P.S. If you want to play a fighting game on a 3DO I'd HIGHLY recommend the Panasonic joystick. It can be set in ABCLR mode (setting switch on 3 and using a thumb for L and pinky for R) or XYZABC mode (setting the switch and and arrangenment in a Street Fighter fashion. There's one BIN $42.00 + $25 shipping. Other ebayers sell it for $200+ so pick it up if you can. I have one, and the other one will be a custom wire job that can let me play "Right Handed" fro every system from the 2600 to the 360 where I can pull off Dragon Punches likes nobody's business, just because it's right handed.

The sad part is that about a year and a half ago, GameExpress.com had them NIB for $7.99 plus shipping. They began selling like crazy, then they jacked the prices up to $30. Now they are sold out, and you can't really get them anywhere. I don't see them popping up on eBay much either.

I picked up two of these back in, oh, 2008? I'm not sure. I despise the stock 3DO controller and made damn good and sure I had an alternative. I had also wired up some naff third party 3DO controller to work with my specially modified Saturn controller. The only issue, unfortunately, is that I've got P set as pause and X set as an action button, which of course works great for every 3DO except Super Street Fighter II Turbo, the one anyone would actually want to play. It'd be nice to set up a switch or something that would let you select between the two.

• 7 years later...