IGNORED

New XBox power point presentation leaked

Master Phruby

A power point presentation has been leaked by Microsoft on the new XBox. It's to be released next year for $299. It's six times faster than the 360, includes a new Kinect, 3d glasses, connectivity with tables/phones, lots of online services and a blu-ray player. It looks like a dvd player.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/paul-thurrotts-wininfo/massive-leak-reveals-generation-xbox-143461

They made a PS3!

lol

I'm interested in games. So all the other crap I could care less about at the moment. It's all "revolutionary" hot air. Like the Kinect.

Specifically:

- Backwards Compatability with current XBox Live Arcade games.

- Backwards Comptability with CD based games.

- Used games.

- XboxLive advertisements.

- Gold Subscription policies.

- The actual controller and its features.

There's some other things I'm curious about but thats basically it.

If MS is smart, the new system will be BC with all CD based games and allow used games, will still use XBox Live so all your past purchases work, and they will keep the general shape and layout of the 360 controller, which, IMHO, is close to damn perfect.

Can they do that for $299? Possibly, with a subscrption based service to XBox Live that has been talked about. Otherwise I expect about $400.

I don't see why it couldn't be $299. Blu-ray players are cheap now. I don't see that raising the cost very much. I'm pretty sure all the xbox live stuff and the 360 controller will still be around. In fact, the 360 would make a great media streaming box to compete against Roku or Apple TV. Just shrink it down a little and remove the dvd player. Keep all the services and download content.

I doubt they'll have backward compatibility as I see them having 2 tiers with both the 360 and the next Xbox co-existing on the same network. In fact, since the Xbox Live network is remaining constant with both systems on it, I think the big push is interconnectivity and crossplatform play. That would tie the 2 ecosystems together without cannibalizing those 2 markets much. Backward compatibility would only diminish sales on the new system as many people are very happy with the state of gaming on the 360.

I doubt they'll have backward compatibility as I see them having 2 tiers with both the 360 and the next Xbox co-existing on the same network. In fact, since the Xbox Live network is remaining constant with both systems on it, I think the big push is interconnectivity and crossplatform play. That would tie the 2 ecosystems together without cannibalizing those 2 markets much. Backward compatibility would only diminish sales on the new system as many people are very happy with the state of gaming on the 360.

Wait--I thought you don't deal in speculation? :ponder:

• Like 1

Wait--I thought you don't deal in speculation? :ponder:

I don't deal in commenting on speculation.

Not that I don't speculate myself. :P

Ahh thats answers the backwards compatability question. Thumbs up on that. Otherwise I would keep my old 360 hooked up and I'd rather not cause no models of the 360 in my opinion are slim enough to keep hooked up forever. I have too many games I havent finished yet!

Sadly everything else is un-exciting. Its like we are buying a Comcast box.

The only thing I'll use it for is gaming. Dont care about Windows (except on my PC) and could care less about any of these media features unless they are free like on PSN....which brings me to the last 'feature' that goes un-answered.....the age old controversial GOLD membership requirement................simply to watch Netflix.

:twisted:

Cripes I was hyped a year ago to see what MS will do. Something different and exciting.

Instead it seems they are going down the entertainment route which Sony is in love with and imitate Nintendo to some degree.

Not to mention milk us. monetize us through Xbox Live for all these 'revolutionary' features.

We'll see how it goes. :|

According to Microsoft, 40% of xbox users play games with the machine. The others use it for media-type applications. That is why they are pointing this machine as more of a media center appliance that also plays games. They want to replace cable box with an xbox instead. Verizon FIOS is already heading in that direction.

I'm hearing there will be two versions of the new Xbox. The basic difference between them is one will play games while the other one will replace your cable settop box. Both will include DVR capabilities & blu-ray. If you have Verizon's FIOS, the current XBox can be used as a free settop box right now. It seems Microsoft is also going to license the new XBox to 3rd party television makers as well. Imagine buying a LED TV with XBox, DVR and blu-ray built in. Forget about Apple TV, XTV is were its at. Of course, Microsoft will probably raise the price of XBox Live.

Finally, I hear the new Kinect will work in a smaller room with less light. It will also support WII like props.