IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

Don't forget to set the Difficulty Switches properly before starting a game. ;)

Yes, I have been playing through the game with my NES pad converted to Atari 7800. I normally use the joysticks but this specific game is played better on the pad. Infinite continues is swell also. I really embarrassed myself during the unbox video by not reading the manual. 7800 mode controllers do not operate correctly with the left difficulty switch in the left position.

I've actually left my 7800 sitting on the title screen for a couple days now, playing it intermittently. I'm currently on 2-7. Those Kamikaze flying heads are the bane of my existence. They are so freaking fast when they take off I almost don't have time to dodge, and rapidly shooting pellets is how I currently fend them off, but sometimes it survives between shots.

Anyhow my classic platforming skills seemed to take a nose dive since I seem to play more Atari these days than NES. :P

Also I found a hidden warp. I've heard there are more.

In 1-2 there is a hidden warp zone that leads to 2-1. Jump on the top of the screen you will see a gap in the trees. Long jump over to the area.

• Like 4

I have played this tonight for an hour.

I got to level 1-8.

Level 1-6 and 1-8 are the hardest so far. Must have continued 8 or 10 times in level 1-6.

Have not found the warp or anything. Jumped in every hole there was.

Those freaking bees are Aholes. I have found if your weapon is not upgraded level 1-8 is almost impossible because of the red kangaroo buggers and bees and green flying worm guys all at once.. I must be tired as I am usually better at these types of games.

It is great to be finally playing this long awaited game on real hardware with a real cart.

I am sure I will get better with practise and one day make it to level 2.

But how this game works for me is many rounds are a breeze then with certain situations you get in like no weapon power up and lots of fast more than one shot kill baddies leaves me going thru 12 or so guys to finnaly luck out to get past a hard section.

I am sure after a month my wife will leave me to my teddy bear game and doritos.

"Wait one more try!!"

• Like 5

I've actually left my 7800 sitting on the title screen for a couple days now, playing it intermittently. I'm currently on 2-7. Those Kamikaze flying heads are the bane of my existence. They are so freaking fast when they take off I almost don't have time to dodge, and rapidly shooting pellets is how I currently fend them off, but sometimes it survives between shots.

Try and get it where your shots aren't falling down holes but hitting another platform. If you do that you cam keep a steady stream. Also since they follow you if you jump and do a shot or double shot as you are falling they more than likely will drop down into your shot (second one won't work if they've already zoomed at you.

• Like 3

Those freaking bees are Aholes. I have found if your weapon is not upgraded level 1-8 is almost impossible because of the red kangaroo buggers and bees and green flying worm guys all at once.. I must be tired as I am usually better at these types of games.

The manual says it best when it says don't run through super fast. When I see bees I stop and let them come to me and dash in front of them turn around and blast them. Coyote I just spam them with jewels as they continuously jump when you shoot.

• Like 2

What may help by means of demonstration, the video playthrough in the provided link contains bookmarks for each round and level; minus the hidden (Level 6) one - that's bookmarked in a separate video. ;)

It demonstrates the techniques MrBeefy mentioned, among other things. Just click the "SHOW MORE" under the video description and this list will appear:

post-18-0-67659800-1500030541.png

Every section of the game hyperlinked for convenience for those interested. :)

• Like 1

The manual says it best when it says don't run through super fast. When I see bees I stop and let them come to me and dash in front of them turn around and blast them. Coyote I just spam them with jewels as they continuously jump when you shoot.

I know to let them down and turn around and shoot but what to do with the 4 other guys on uneven terrain that I can not shoot thru. If I have to jump to shoot them the bees float up after me and then I run outa room as I shoot under the bees and they kill me diagonally if that makes sense..

Lots of practise and retries will help.

• Like 2

I know to let them down and turn around and shoot but what to do with the 4 other guys on uneven terrain that I can not shoot thru. If I have to jump to shoot them the bees float up after me and then I run outa room as I shoot under the bees and they kill me diagonally if that makes sense..

Lots of practise and retries will help.

If you have more than one or two baddies on the screen you are going too fast. Stop as soon someone appears. On heavy jumping levels try to run to the edge and stop before you jump. That way you see baddies before you jump over. Some of the bees you can kill out of the air if on a high enough platform before they drop.

• Like 3

What may help by means of demonstration, the video playthrough in the provided link contains bookmarks for each round and level; minus the hidden (Level 6) one - that's bookmarked in a separate video. ;)

It demonstrates the techniques MrBeefy mentioned, among other things. Just click the "SHOW MORE" under the video description and this list will appear:

BBCQBKMK.PNG

Every section of the game hyperlinked for convenience. :)

Maybe we should make an old fashioned Bentley Bear game guide with secrets and techniques lol.
  • Like 1

Yes, and I find as you advance the baddies each spawn from the right as Bentley makes progress. If you know there's a tricky area with multiple baddies spawn simultaneously and trip you up, approach the area by inching your way forward to make the baddies spawn one at a time so you can deal with them individually. There's tons of honey pots, at least in the beginning worlds so you don't worry much about energy running out.

This game will punish people who attempt to speed run it. I think that was Bob's intent. Very clever level design.

• Like 2

Try and get it where your shots aren't falling down holes but hitting another platform. If you do that you cam keep a steady stream. Also since they follow you if you jump and do a shot or double shot as you are falling they more than likely will drop down into your shot (second one won't work if they've already zoomed at you.

What's funny is if you die or fall off screen before it hits you, before the stage restarts, they'll nose dive and follow you down into the nether world. :lolblue:

• Like 2

No. Too much info already on secret level etc.

Imagine how cool it would have been to find out with no info that it was even there.

This is the age of Internet strategy guides. If someone wants to create one, have at it. People who wanna find stuff on their own can choose not to view it or only view when they get stuck.

So there's a secret stage and a "no continues" alternate boss fight? What about a "no warps" ending like in Supa Merrio Lost Levels with World 9? :P

• Like 1

This is the age of Internet strategy guides. If someone wants to create one, have at it. People who wanna find stuff on their own can choose not to view it or only view when they get stuck.

So there's a secret stage and a "no continues" alternate boss fight? What about a "no warps" ending like in Supa Merrio Lost Levels with World 9? :P

People can do what they want for sure I will choose not to view it.

The great thing is this game plays nothing like mario or wonderboy.

I like to fast run and see how many guys I can kill which is a horrible strategy for an easy win of each level but sure is fun!

• Like 2

-^Cro§Bow^- would know best. I do not have a Mateos multi-cart, so I could not test. I searched the Mateos Multi-cart thread, found the answer, and linked to it. ;)

It may be best to ask the above question in that thread. :)

So there's a secret stage and a "no continues" alternate boss fight bonus?

There is a secret (Level 6) stage.

If the game is finished without utilizing continues, the player's score will be well above and beyond anyone who has utilized continues. It's the same game throughout, but a clear distinction is achieved in scoring for those who have truly mastered it.

Additionally, there are extra life bonuses scattered through the game, plenty of power-ups that increase jewel hit power, increase Bentley's energy, or provide temporary invincibility.

MrBeefy put it nicely in stating the game is overly fair. Without warps it can be completed in about, or a little over, an hour (Approximately 10-15 minutes per level completely played through). Utilizing warps, the time required shrinks considerably. Four warps were discovered by MrBeefy, are there more? ;)

...The great thing is this game plays nothing like mario or wonderboy...

One of the awesome things about the game is it not trying to be any other platformer. It is a great platformer in its own right.

However, to try and give someone a frame of reference, it can be stated it plays like a "hybrid" of Super Mario Brothers and Wonder Boy/Hudson's Adventure Island, while having its own style and some unique components.

• Like 2

I almost got to level 5 but my daughter wanted me to go check the mail for ebay stuff. So I restarted another game and got stuck on 2-8 at the beginning without a gem to throw the bees and the red kangaroo guy all at once and on the narrow platforms I went thru 25 or so guys and got near the end 3 times to die on a skeleton jumping the jem of all things and killing me to restart the level from the dreaded beginning where it is extremely hard without a powerup.

I usually start continuing after I warp and get to level 2-2. then I pass 2-3 2-4 and then continue about 30 or forty times to get to 2-8. My highest score was 80000 and lowest was 700 using up 3 Bentleys. I have got into the red many times and need to hurry to get to the boss battle which seems a battle of energy because I shoot the heck outa the witch but takes like 30 or 40 hits to die so it all depends on the frequency or her attack so I can attack as thinking you can "get in there and do damage" is an immediate death wish.

So far I have only found 1 warp and 1 extra life both positioned in a place kinda easy to spot. Heck it take me an hour or two to get to level 3 if I can ever make it. Keep in mind this game was just released and only played it 3 times.

It was first made 5 years ago and am happy it finally got a release on a cart. IT is too bad it never got out back then as there was much hype around it and it seemed like almost a hundred people following it. Bobs games like moon cresta, rip off, scramble, meteor shower, frenzy, astro blaster, astro fighter, and armour attack 2 for the most part were released quickly and made by Bob and something was extra special about those days(btw I bought every one!)... I sure hope lots of people buy this game and do not leave it on a shelf! Please take it out of the box and never put it in there again it belongs super glued in the 7800 slot buy another 7800 for other(of Bob's)games. Enjoy it and give some feedback on the game!!!!

Thanks for all the hard work that was put into this game! I can tell on the later levels more polish was put into the end level "doors" One thing that is great is there is zero glitches that I can find. I can throw it in a cold 7800 and play right away so the hardware and code is really good.

MrBeefy put it nicely in stating the game is overly fair. Without warps it can be completed in about, or a little over, an hour (Approximately 10-15 minutes per level completely played through). Utilizing warps, the time required shrinks considerably. Four warps were discovered by MrBeefy, are there more? ;)

Probably a lot of stuff. I only found the warp that leads to World 2. If a certain platform in a certain stage that seems hard to reach, there might be something good there.

And yes, the game doesn't try to emulate Super Mario Bros which is a plus. It's not generic either. It could have existed back in the day (minus the Pokey chip) and people would have thought it was awesome. Certainly a million times better than Scrapyard Dog. :lol:

I sure hope lots of people buy this game and do not leave it on a shelf! Please take it out of the box and never put it in there again

it belongs super glued in the 7800 slot

buy another 7800 for other(of Bob's)games.

I think that's a bit overkill. I also bought Super Circus AtariAge and might want to swap them out now and then. LOL! :lolblue:

In the mean time, there's always Goof Off if you messed up or decided you want to change games! :dunce:

FG677_GO_Prod_ProSuperGlue4oz_72.jpg

I can glitch the music if I turn away from the witch as soon as she appears in level 2-8 which I gave up after 15 continues.

It doesnt crash the game and the music and plays fine as soon as you move to the right. Scared me at first and thought i broke it..

Takes me an hour to get to level 3 if ever. Your walkthru video for game cyborgs is no help to this guy. Will try again next weekend to give my eyes a rest.. Actually the worst enemy tonight was the yellow flying buggers(ya think when they are close enough you will get that second ahot it for the kill amd hold your position and die)and the green jumpers that suck( with them you swear that the second shot for their kill is that one but nope must not have and your dead)..suprise 4 seconds later dead again..

One other bad thing is those speeder buggers that sometimes you miss. They depend on you jumping to speed across the screen for thier kill. If you come off a platform and miss them and your all powered up thinking you can use your green or red gem to fight thd battle when you get horded by 2 or 3 guys that require multiple hits to kill you lose that and your screwed.

The game rewards better play gets easier. If your sucking it gets harder. Some sections almost almost rely on a weapon powerup. It is possible to get thru with the basic weapon but in those sections it gets brutally hard. If it randomized the bad guys it would be impossible as it requires the bad guys to be of certain attack types to remain playable.