IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, all, I'm a pixel artist and chiptuner from the PC-Engine scene, but I've always had a soft spot for the 7800. This project happened happened to catch my eye, so I tried it out and it's amazing! Excellent work on this! I think the most impressive part, while not technically impressive for the 7800 per se, is the fact that you tweaked and refined the control until it was smooth and just right. It legit feels like I'm playing Adventure Island or Super Mario Bros, in terms of tightness and fluidity of the control. That's just good game dev! :)

Edited by Fragmare
  • Like 2

I just played this game for the first time this afternoon via emulation on the Nintendo Wii and my first impression is: Multiple layers of parallax scrolling on the Atari 7800!? Are you kidding me!? :o

It's absolutely mind blowing what you've pulled off with this game graphically speaking, and as many others have already said the control is very tight. I do have a few minor niggles with it here and there, but overall the game should definitely provide a lot of entertainment for people who like really difficult 8-bit platformers like Ninja Gaiden or Mega Man. Unfortunately for me I'm terrible at those kind of games so I couldn't make it past Level 1 Round 8 before throwing down my controller and rage quitting, but I know that those kind of super tough platformers were mainstays of the 8-bit era on the NES and Master System so it's great to see a homebrew game step up to fill that gap in the Atari 7800 library. :)

I just played this game for the first time this afternoon via emulation on the Nintendo Wii and my first impression is: Multiple layers of parallax scrolling on the Atari 7800!? Are you kidding me!? :o

It's absolutely mind blowing what you've pulled off with this game graphically speaking, and as many others have already said the control is very tight. I do have a few minor niggles with it here and there, but overall the game should definitely provide a lot of entertainment for people who like really difficult 8-bit platformers like Ninja Gaiden or Mega Man. Unfortunately for me I'm terrible at those kind of games so I couldn't make it past Level 1 Round 8 before throwing down my controller and rage quitting, but I know that those kind of super tough platformers were mainstays of the 8-bit era on the NES and Master System so it's great to see a homebrew game step up to fill that gap in the Atari 7800 library. :)

I actually made it past that...but rage quit when I couldn't beat the level 1 boss... Now I use the warp to skip all that. But world 2 is much more difficult.

I actually made it past that...but rage quit when I couldn't beat the level 1 boss... Now I use the warp to skip all that. But world 2 is much more difficult.

As hard as this game is for me I still wanted to keep playing it, so after writing my last post I went back and tried again. With some more practice I did manage to defeat the witch at the end of Level 1 Round 8 and made it to Level 2. I really dig the different music and parallax scrolling clouds and waves in Level 2, but like you said it does really ramp up the difficulty.

But as hard as it is Crystal Quest still stands head and shoulders over the 7800's other platformer Scrapyard Dog, and I'll definitely have to buy a copy as soon as it hits the AtariAge store. Or sign up for an AtariAge subscription again to see if there's any early copies available for subscribers. :)

... I love you guys... :D

BTW, the graphics were done by the amazing PAC-MAN-RED... Look up his posts some time and be in awe of what he does. :D

The music was done by the equally Awesome Synthpopalooza... again, look up his posts to listen to some amazing music. :)

When I first received the graphics from PMR, I had never attempted Parallax scrolling. But I knew when I saw his 'forest' scene', I KNEW I had to make it happen somehow. :)

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Got my copy today. Well worth the wait. Finally, a SMB-quality platformer for the 7800. Great audio. Surprisingly difficult, though I have made it to the boss of level 1 (don't foresee defeating her in the near future, however). Also found an easter egg much earlier than I expected, though it was an easy find. I am sure there will be so many more that we will probably never find them all.

• Like 2

Got my copy today. Well worth the wait. Finally, a SMB-quality platformer for the 7800. Great audio. Surprisingly difficult, though I have made it to the boss of level 1 (don't foresee defeating her in the near future, however). Also found an easter egg much earlier than I expected, though it was an easy find. I am sure there will be so many more that we will probably never find them all.

MrBeefy posted in the Subscriber Features forum about beating the game a little after 11 PM yesterday; impressive but not impossible. ;)
KS posted a video having difficulties playing, but Bentley was only walking the entire time in the video.
:ponder:
Reminder to all to check the console's Difficulty Switches. It tells the game the type of controller (One button or two independent buttons) being utilized and how to configure controls accordingly. With incorrect console switch settings in place, there will be no running or shooting from Bentley.
  • Like 1

KS posted a video having difficulties playing, but Bentley was only walking the entire time in the video.
Reminder to all to check the console's Difficulty Switches. It tells the game the type of controller (One button or two independent buttons) being utilized and how to configure controls accordingly. With incorrect console switch settings in place, there will be no running or shooting from Bentley.

I had a "wtf" moment just like that when I plugged mine in too, but have learned to go read those instructions for settings!

So far I am preferring playing Bentley with a Sega pad through a converter to anything else....I think this is actually a mark of how much of a true, more modern (for the 7800 anyway) platformer it is, akin to Adventure Island etc. you really need that pinpoint control in places.

But honestly I spent much of my time playing Super Circus. Had a good laugh when I was "fighting" the AtariAge logo.

• Like 3

So far I am preferring playing Bentley with a Sega pad through a converter to anything else....I think this is actually a mark of how much of a true, more modern (for the 7800 anyway) platformer it is, akin to Adventure Island etc. you really need that pinpoint control in places.

:thumbsup:

I have beaten BBCQ with a Sega Genesis 6-button gamepad and an Arcade joystick controller. Both worked perfect for me.

The 7800 default (NTSC joystick) controller is manageable for a while, but nowhere near as good, and the meaning of pain will truly be emphasized. Trying to 'one button it' with the good 'ole A2600 joystick, not as bad; however, much brain confusion experienced trying to hold a button for running while pressing up to jump.

More reason than ever to go Seagull 78 Controller Adapter and hookup a Genesis gamepad or Arcade Power Stick. There's all those Arcade Controllers too. :-D

• Like 1

I skimmed the thread best I could. Was the difficulty lowered from all the complaints? Other than the 5-8 heads having different speeds messing me up I didn't feel it was that difficult. I think most of the difficulty comes from crappy 7800 controllers. Otherwise I think this game is overly fair and powerful are plenty in areas with higher up bad guys.

I've found Level 1 and 4 warps. If I have time tonight might try and check a spot that I think might be a secret but didn't try on the long play through.

• Like 2

I skimmed the thread best I could. Was the difficulty lowered from all the complaints?

Nope...Difficulty is the same.

Other than the 5-8 heads having different speeds messing me up I didn't feel it was that difficult. I think most of the difficulty comes from crappy 7800 controllers. Otherwise I think this game is overly fair and powerful are plenty in areas with higher up bad guys.

I've found Level 1 and 4 warps. If I have time tonight might try and check a spot that I think might be a secret but didn't try on the long play through.

I agree with you about the game being fair and plenty of power-ups in areas with more difficult enemies. Not to forget the unlimited continues as well. Granted, some rounds may be more challenging than others (Just like most other games). Nevertheless, it is very well balanced.

It may just be a case of different strokes for different folks. Some excel in platform games and even then, only specific kinds.

Others who don't perform as well under this platformer may excel in other types of genres.

Although, some too, may have played with Bentley stuck in 'walk only' mode due to incorrectly set Difficulty Switches; issue perhaps compounded, if people were utilizing the ProSystem emulator with "broke" Difficulty Switch settings at the time.

• Like 1

Nope...Difficulty is the same.

I agree with you about the game being fair and plenty of power-ups in areas with more difficult enemies. Not to forget the unlimited continues as well. Granted some rounds may be more challenging than others (Just like most other games). Nevertheless, it is very well balanced.

It just may be a case of different strokes for different folks. Some excel in platform games and even then, only specific kinds.

Others who don't perform as well under this platformer may excel in other types of genres.

Although, some too, may have played with Bentley stuck in 'walk only' mode due to incorrectly set Difficulty Switches. Issue perhaps compounded, if people were utilizing the ProSystem emulator with "broke" Difficulty Switch settings at the time.

Yeah you aren't going to get over much jumping without the run feature.

Most of my deaths came from me basically making a stupid button press. Game should come with a poster that says keep calm and Bentley on. Even at a steady pace you won't run out of energy. Unless the secret level is brutal which I haven't played yet.

• Like 2

Yeah you aren't going to get over much jumping without the run feature.

Most of my deaths came from me basically making a stupid button press. Game should come with a poster that says keep calm and Bentley on. Even at a steady pace you won't run out of energy. Unless the secret level is brutal which I haven't played yet.

post-18-0-64748200-1499221680.png

And to assist in keeping you motivated to find the Secret Level/Level 6...

post-18-0-07930700-1499221681.png

..."SL 6" is a mix of environments beginning and ending with a unique one not experienced elsewhere in the game (Not captured above ;) ).

• Like 2

I need the energy for the boss fights. Thats where I run out and bentley dies!!

Always run until you see one enemy. Kill it and run on. In the more heavily platfor areas try going to edge before jumping. Kill enemy if appear. Run jump then run to next edge. I dont remember which but i think there was only one boss that i was in the second to last portion of energy on.

Also run like he'll when you get the hat. But be conservative when it starts flashing so you don't accidently run into that bad guy after it's gone.

• Like 2