IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

If it randomized the bad guys it would be impossible as it requires the bad guys to be of certain attack types to remain playable.

I'm not sure if it would be called random but there are times that some baddies are switched out with different ones. Might only notice it when youved died a few times in same spot. I also think it was in later levels when the knight is about. Like instead of a night you might see a zombie.

...And yes, the game doesn't try to emulate Super Mario Bros which is a plus. It's not generic either. It could have existed back in the day (minus the Pokey chip) and people would have thought it was awesome. Certainly a million times better than Scrapyard Dog. :lol:

Thinking along the lines of the game could existing, I contemplated just the opposite. In a world where the right resources and decisions mere made for the 7800, not only could this game or similar exist, it would definitely contain POKEY; GUMBY could also have been a produced sound chip.

The 1983 AMY sound chip could have been produced successfully too, and BBCQ would have been a very likely candidate to justify its usage on the console.

But I digress...The 'what if'/alternate universe scenarios are endless. Just happy with what we have now in this reality. :)

I can glitch the music if I turn away from the witch as soon as she appears...

It's a pretty neat trick.

The turning away didn't actually caused it, as much as the 'tip-toeing' to the threshold point, or just happening to reach the marked spot where the level music becomes the boss music and then progressing no further.

At that point where Bentley turned back, he progressed far enough to be at the threshold area, but had not passed the point for entering the battle. It's noteworthy too, the Witch doesn't come swooping in - there is no movement from her.

For the extra cautious, when possible to utilize, it serves as a good signal indicator the boss battle is about to be encountered. As soon as Bentley advances a step or two further, watch out, cause here she comes! :-D

I'm not sure if it would be called random but there are times that some baddies are switched out with different ones. Might only notice it when youved died a few times in same spot. I also think it was in later levels when the knight is about. Like instead of a night you might see a zombie.

As designed, some enemies are not always in the same spot every time. ;)

• Like 1

Yeah the problem with tip toeing into the boss battle especially on the level 2 witch you dont advance the ground enough to have your safe area to the left as that is water.

No need to tip toe into the battle though, there's plenty of safe area to be had on the left while fighting after the water. ;)

Just check this video out starting at ~23:11. Or click on "SHOW MORE" under the video description and select "Boss Battle 2 0:23:11" link. :)

Do all hits register on the witch or only head shots? Many times I time out and die on the witch battles mostly due to the weak weapon. It takes me a section of health and a half to kill her hammering her each time she flies in. So if I am at full yellow I am at half red before she dies..

Watched your video and was the same you almost had full green and was about 30% left of the yellow when she died. Also you had an upgraded weapon. So if your weapon is not upgraded very easy to run out of health as it takes twice as long to kill her.

Do all hits register on the witch or only head shots?

Honestly I have forgotten. I will have to defer to Bob for the definitive answer on how hits register on Berthilda.

What I can tell you is she requires 32 hit points. Jewel hit points are as follows: White = 1 point, Red = 2 points, and Green = Up to 8 points*. When encountering Berthilda with Green jewels, the miserable wench used a curse to diminishes their ability to a Red. Fortunately, she has no power over the Red jewels to diminish them.

Therefore, best case scenario when encountering the witch is 16 hits, worst case is 32 hits.

*First Green jewel obtained while having a Red jewel = 4 hit points. Obtain a second Green jewel after that without dying = 8 hit points.

Green jewels double the hit points of whatever Bentley currently possesses (I.E. If you have a White jewel and then obtain a Green = 2 hit points).

The "Helpful Hints" section of the manual provides this valuable tip too:

"Pay attention to the jewels you collect. For example, if you have collected a white jewel and two green jewels (giving you 4, you don’t want to grab a red jewel, as that will bring your jewel hit points back down to 2."

Honestly I have forgotten. I will have to defer to Bob for the definitive answer on how hits register on Berthilda.

What I can tell you is she requires 32 hit points. Jewel hit points are as follows: White = 1 point, Red = 2 points, and Green = Up to 8 points*. When encountering Berthilda with Green jewels, the miserable wench used a curse to diminishes their ability to a Red. Fortunately, she has no power over the Red jewels to diminish them.

Therefore, best case scenario when encountering the witch is 16 hits, worst case is 32 hits.

*First Green jewel obtained while having a Red jewel = 4 hit points. Obtain a second Green jewel after that without dying = 8 hit points.

Green jewels double the hit points of whatever Bentley currently possesses (I.E. If you have a White jewel and then obtain a Green = 2 hit points).

The "Helpful Hints" section of the manual provides this valuable tip too:

"Pay attention to the jewels you collect. For example, if you have collected a white jewel and two green jewels (giving you 4, you don’t want to grab a red jewel, as that will bring your jewel hit points back down to 2."

Yeah but if you die you don't keep the power ups. Every time I die, I get the white spit wad which only deals one hit of damage at a time. So get to the witch and die, and there's no path to upgrade your shot after you resume.

Kinda like Super Mario Bros, if you get the flower in World 8-3 and keep it through 8-4, making defeating Bowser with fireballs a breeze. If you lose it however, you gotta run the whole level as small Mario, jump under or over the hammer bro, and pray Bowser doesn't release a fireball as you dodge the hammers and run underneath him to the hammer.

It just seems 32 hits is excessive unless there's a safe spot to stand while you spam the boss.

It just seems 32 hits is excessive unless there's a safe spot to stand while you spam the boss.

:ponder:

Yeah the problem with tip toeing into the boss battle especially on the level 2 witch you dont advance the ground enough to have your safe area to the left as that is water.

No need to tip toe into the battle though, there's plenty of safe area to be had on the left while fighting after the water. ;)

Just check this video out starting at ~23:11. Or click on "SHOW MORE" under the video description and select "Boss Battle 2 0:23:11" link. :)

;)

There is always a safe zone fatherest to the left unless you do not advance the screen enough.. i have done this twice. If that happens your screwed..

Crap tried the witch 3 times once at full health and lost due to ran out of energy.

The only way to beat her is restart the game with a powerup from 2-7 and dont die.

Or randomly she may attack more frequently. I must have been close to killing her.. I tried purposely dying and speed running to her and still died as ran out of time. Each time she flies toward me i hit her once rarely twice. I am almost certain it is impossible without a weapon powerup. Almost made it to 100k today. Never had to continue till 2-4.

"NES HARD" bosses? This game has it all, LOL! I assume when I get to 2-8, I'll find out. Currently the system is paused in my mom's bedroom. I'm like on 2-6 or 2-7, I forget where I left off... :P

Ya know I swear I beat her before with no powerups so maybe it depends oh her attack frequency which may be random?

The better you do it gets easier. With a weapon powerup you die bassically on a wrong button press or a not holding jump long enough and falling into a hole.

Those green jumper worm guys are a real buggers and kill me easy due to needing two hits.

Are you trying to fry your 7800? Play that dang thing!!

The level one witch I could not beat today even with the red jem. Goes from green health to death bedore she is dead. I jave killed the level 3 witch before so I dont know what is so hard about level 1??

She comes at me then I give her one shot and she leaves right away. Then sits for 5 or 6 seconds and repeat. I get about 7-10 shots in which is only like 20 of the 32 hits she needs to die then I die cause I run outa health. If pnly there was mpre statagey on the boss battes to give more hits. You have to stay full to the left and jump to hit her or shoot from the ground. Any other position and she kills you..

Found the warp to 6-1 today, which made me very happy. And the warp in 3 to get to 4-1 was in a place I never would have found except for a bizarre coincidence. Is there a warp in 2? I have been seriously scrutizing those levels and nothing calls attention as a possible location for one.

Keep scrutinizing in level two. Level two and three were maybe the hardest or less obvious ones to find if I remember right.

The only 2 things I have found is the extra life in 2 and the warp to level 2.

Same here, I've had my 7800 on for 4 days straight so I don't lose my place, I've made it to level 4-3. I'm worried i'm going to damage it leaving it on so long but I don't want to loose all the progress I've made. It's hard enough to finish a level, I don't have time to look for hidden warps. :)

I shut mine off and restart all the time.

I can usually play to level 2-4 or so before I need to continue if I use the warp. The basic weapon is hard to play with against the gem eaters as if they jump your first shot or jump onto you your dead as only get one shot in. The two easiest bad guys are the trees amd the zombies. The hardest for me are the floating yellow ghosts as many times need to jump over them to give them the other shot they need to die. This can be problematic if combined with a gem eater or and a red kangaroo guy which can happen.

Found the secret level today its pretty easy to find. I finished that level which is easier than the normal levels but it has lots of suprises but lots of powerups so makes it challenging. I like the end of level 6 there is a little surprise there for people to find but be ready!!

Damn it, I meant to order a copy this weekend - I've got a POKEY ready right here to send in and everything. Unfortunately, my wife pointed out that I've been putting off getting new glasses and tl;dr - I ordered new eyeglasses instead. Middle-age is a bitch.

Two weeks then ... (trying desperately to avoid spoilers in this thread is killer-hard!)

Same here, I've had my 7800 on for 4 days straight so I don't lose my place, I've made it to level 4-3. I'm worried i'm going to damage it leaving it on so long but I don't want to loose all the progress I've made. It's hard enough to finish a level, I don't have time to look for hidden warps. :)

Give that poor thing a rest! I know after playing for an hour and beating it my Bbcq cart was quite warm. ;P