IGNORED

Atari 2600/5200/7800/Lynx/Jaguar ROMs Question.

snorlaxnut

If this sounds like whining, never mind.

Is there a list of Atari 2600/5200/7800/Lynx/Jaguar ROMs that are legal to download and play on an emulator?

I like emulation. There are not many thrift shops or second-hand stores where I live that carry carts for the Atari systems, they usually carry NES, N64, or Playstation titles.

Same thing goes for most of the garage/yard sales around here, too. Most of them sell the games for way too much the usual price you would pay for them at garage/yard sales.

But i'm just not sure about downloading some of the roms.

So is there a list of ROMs for the Atari systems that the creators of the games said it's legal to download them? :?

Generally any homebrew games that we have ROMs available for download on AtariAge are "legal" in the sense that the author has given permission for them to be distributed. Fortunately this includes the majority of homebrew games. For the 2600, here's a list of homebrew games we have in our database:

AtariAge: Homebrew Games

There are a few notable exceptions, for instance, none of the Ebivision ROMs have been made available. :(

..Al

IMHO, I think that it shows the will of homebrew games developers to do something for the atari people, not only to gain some $$. There will be people that download the rom, but also a lot that buy the games.

IMHO, I'm not very into the 'emulators'; I like to use original systems, if I can. (Apart M.A.M.E., but it's a different story; can't own hundreds of Arcade ;) ).