IGNORED

FB1 Joysticks- Adaptors?

I have an FB1 laying around at home and I looked in the controllers and found out they only have 5 wires.

Orange - OUT (Output)

White -SCK (Serial Clock)

Yellow - DO (Data)

Black - GND (Ground)

Red - 5V (Power)

If you could rewire this to a parralell port or serial port (or even PS/2) on a computer, and write some drivers, would it be possible to use them as joystick controllers.

Pinouts from: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/76931-flashback-1-controller-pinouts/

It is possible to use the FB1 joysticks with one of of the various NES parallel-port adapters and drivers, since they're compatible with the original NES gamepads. I built a four-way DirectPad Pro adapter inside a Genesis Multi-Tap case some years ago, so I could use four FB1 joysticks at once. I used it with some emulators for a while.

I was confused by the pinouts on the thread I looked on. Please could you provide the direct pinouts from FB1 controllers to NES controllers for use with directpad pro.

Thanks.

[Edit] i looked on the Linux Kernel Driver documentation and found the pinouts: (X means unused pin)

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/input/joystick-parport.txt

I presume the NES clone (db9) pinouts are correct and I know just need to hook it up to my parrallel port like you would with a NES. Please let me know if these are the correct pinouts so I can start build my connecter.

Edited by Relisys

It wouldn't let me edit my post so I have to make a new reply.

OKay. I did some more searching and found this:

nesclon.gif

on the NTPAD site. It is for NES clone controllers like the flashback one.

I am assuming that the DB9 pinout is set out like this:

rs232_db9.gif

Is this how I should wire my joystick? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Edited by Relisys

I don't remember the exact pinout, but if you look at the DirectPad Pro design that I linked to, it shows all of the pins of the original NES connector, and how they need to be connected to the parallel port. You've already identified the pinout for the FB1 controllers, so adapting the DirectPad Pro for them should simply be a matter of connecting the NES pins to the corresponding FB1 pins.

Pins 2,3,4,7, and 8 are the only ones in use in the FB1 joysticks. When building the adapter, don't think in terms of matching the pin numbers; look at the signals carried by the pins in both connectors and match those instead. This post gives the pinout of both the FB1 and NES controllers, so it should be easy to find the correct pins.

Well, me wanting to be certain, If I did something like this: http://www.bidouille.../hack/nespadusb Then would the same colour wires mean the same thing, like NES pad yellow would be equal to FB1 joy yellow. Or would it be like this: NES pad red is equal to FB1 joy yellow. (I gave up on parrallel port as I intend to by a new PC soon).

[Edit] Does anybody know if the retrofit kit would work on this?

Edited by Relisys

The RetroKit should work, since the FB1 controllers are electrically compatible. But again, don't think in terms of matching only the colors or the pin numbers; identify the signals those colors are carrying and match those instead. The wire colors that are given in the RetroKit diagram are those of the original NES controllers. The wires in the FB1 joysticks may be the same colors, but then again, they may not. The process should go something like this: "well, the 'Yellow' solder pad in the Retrofit kit is for the NES gamepad's 'Data' line, but because that corresponds to Pin 3 in the FB1 joystick, I have to be sure to connect it to that wire instead, even if the wire isn't yellow or if a different wire in the FB1 joystick happens to be yellow."

• 1 month later...