IGNORED

The Stacks

Zoyx

Maybe similar to the original game "adventure" the author loves you could add an easter egg like Wade's secret base or something? (Maybe a little bike you pedal to turn on the lights or something like he used for a power generator) I would imagine Wade's room in the trailer would probably have some kind of artemis poster.

As for actual gameplay improvements it seems to me like you've faithfully created a game that fits the description given in the novel. Can't picture it having much more stuff than what was mentioned in the book. Unless you want to add a bunch of references to other atari games in it. I'm sure a gunter would constantly have retro games on the mind.

• 1 year later...

It is ~98% done, but it doesn't play like I would like it. Also there is a major feature still missing.

I have hit a psychological block with this game, which takes more than one year already. This never happened to me before, so I have no idea how long it takes until I can overcome this stupid block.

I stepped away for some time, didn't work. I put myself under pressure, didn't work. Decide to do something else, didn't work. There is something with this game and me, that kills my motivation. :(

• Like 2

If you have lost your muse, then I'm wondering if releasing a demo version of it and getting some feedback might help you regain it? Feedback might also help you better nail down what exactly doesn't "feel right" about the game play as it stands now. Just a thought. :)

If you have lost your muse, then I'm wondering if releasing a demo version of it and getting some feedback might help you regain it? Feedback might also help you better nail down what exactly doesn't "feel right" about the game play as it stands now. Just a thought. icon_smile.gif

There is a hidden forum here, where quite some people can participate. So the game has been tested quite a lot with good feedback. But the core problem is, that I(!) don't like the result so far. IMO it feeds too repetitive and lacks variation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Side question: when did the concept of a stack of shipping containers as housing development become an idea?

I know it was popularized in the West with Ready Player One (and visualized in the new movie), but I've seen the idea elsewhere, starting with Monsters Ate My Condo back in 2011. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters_Ate_My_Condo

Is this an idea from Japan, maybe in anime or manga?

******* Possible Minor Spoiler Warning Here ***** If you have not read the book or seen the movie, please be aware that this might be a spoiler...

Spoiler Here.......

Thomas, would adding bombs into the stacks brought in by drones or robots that need to be disarmed be a fun game element? Bombs, timers, proximity bombs and rescuing people might be a fun direction to go, they are true to the book and movie too.. bomb elements can also make goals much harder and if randomized maybe extend game replays?

In any case good job on the game, and making something that is just really cool ..

Keep up the great work, looking forward to it once you get inspired again!

The Stacks are made from trailers, not containers.

Ahh, what a difference a picture makes!

In the book, they're converted trailer parks, too. They're vertical to maximize use of ground space. How they got "stacked" is not addressed. I guess it happens offscreen, like how the AT-ATs land on Planet Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back, to use a RP1-style reference.

The idea caught on in a big way, and trailer parks across the country had quickly evolved into "stacks" like this one -- strange hybrids of shantytowns, squatter settlements, and refugee camps. They were now scattered around the outskirts of most major cities, each one overflowing with uprooted rednecks like my parents, who --desperate for work, food, electricity, and reliable OASIS access -- had fled their dying small towns and had used the last of their gasoline (or their beasts of burden) to haul their families, RVs, and trailer homes to the nearest metropolis.

Every stack in our park stood at least fifteen mobile homes high (with the occasional RV, shipping container, Airstream trailer, or VW microbus mixed in for variety). In recent years, many of the stacks had grown to a height of twenty units or more.

I remain curious about where this idea came from. The rest of the story contains no original parts, after all. :evil:

• Like 2

Answering my own question, in part:

A vertical trailer park was proposed in 1966

"Portable Housing" is really a vertical trailer park

The Truth about the Redneck Mansion comes out

All 3 links have interesting pictures.

I'd be willing to bet that there's a Japanese connection though, that there are manga or anime featuring similar images -- or perhaps the shipping containers I think would be the more interesting (and bleak) choice.

• Like 1

Thomas, would adding bombs into the stacks brought in by drones or robots that need to be disarmed be a fun game element? Bombs, timers, proximity bombs and rescuing people might be a fun direction to go, they are true to the book and movie too.. bomb elements can also make goals much harder and if randomized maybe extend game replays?

I will definitely look into this. Drones would make a nice flying enemy. And bombs which affect a whole screen seem like a good idea too. I can't track permanently if they are disarmed, but as long as the screen is not changed should work. Rescuing people needs more thought.

BTW: The game is heavily randomized already. There are almost 200,000 game variations based on random numbers and difficulty settings. :)

• 1 month later...

I can only guess, but I suppose the rights are sold. And those who own the rights now usually have different interests than an author.

Any update on this? Just finished the book. If I had a Harmony I would playtest on real hardware, otherwise I could playtest through Stella.