IGNORED

Vectrex Woes

Lettuce

Managed to score a Vectrex of eBay back last week, paid £70 for it delivered and whilst its not in excellent condition its accpetable or though there are a few issues with it. The on/off/volume knob is a bit temperamental, sometimes when you click it to the on position it doesnt turn on and you have to fiddle with it a few time for it to actually turn on. The other problem has only started happening in the last day or so, it actually started to happen after i put the Vectrex back together after taking it apart to clean the inside as it was abit dirty, i didnt touch anything inside at all. Now it would appear that it takes a good few minutes for a picture to actually appear on the screen, at first after putting the Vectrex back together i thought i had completely buggered it but after a few minutes of turning it on and off a picture appeared. Tried it again this morning and no picture again until leave it turned on for a minute or so and then got a picture, any ideas what is causing any of these issues??

Managed to score a Vectrex of eBay back last week, paid £70 for it delivered and whilst its not in excellent condition its accpetable or though there are a few issues with it. The on/off/volume knob is a bit temperamental, sometimes when you click it to the on position it doesnt turn on and you have to fiddle with it a few time for it to actually turn on. The other problem has only started happening in the last day or so, it actually started to happen after i put the Vectrex back together after taking it apart to clean the inside as it was abit dirty, i didnt touch anything inside at all. Now it would appear that it takes a good few minutes for a picture to actually appear on the screen, at first after putting the Vectrex back together i thought i had completely buggered it but after a few minutes of turning it on and off a picture appeared. Tried it again this morning and no picture again until leave it turned on for a minute or so and then got a picture, any ideas what is causing any of these issues??

Sounds to me like a cap issue, but I'm new to the Vectrex myself, so I could just be talking out of my bum. Good luck fixing your Vectrex!

It sounds possible that replacing the caps could help. I've never actually made any repairs on a vectrex, just read about it. I remember reading about someone selling a cap kit online, and you might be able to find a local ex-TV repairman to do the work for you. I expect someday I'll have to do this as I'm not good enough with a soldering iron.

Yeah thats what i would need to try. Can you remember where you saw these cap kits?

Sorry, no. You can probably find a list of the caps on one of the vectrex sites and order them from an electronic supplier. At least, that's what I would try to do. I'd also look for a second opinion before spending much money.

• 1 month later...

man thats to bad... im not shure exactly how the vectrex works, but i think that if the image isnt working, you should return it or buy a new one :(