IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

The wolf is amazing! How long are these images taking to convert?

Using Knoll dithering, 10000 or more solutions, I try different pallets until I get one that looks good on destination screen I let them run for 100 million to 200 million cycles which can take 8 to 12 or more hours depending on the picture. I let it run, minimize it and kind of forget it's there for hours at a time.

• Like 1

Posting in the proper thread:

I gave up at 400,000,000 evaluations using knoll dithering and a small detail mask (bottom of the cat's face). Posting image in a spoiler tag due to NSFW caption.

post-650-0-66697100-1369108130_thumb.pngpost-650-0-93915300-1369108129_thumb.pngoutput.xex

BTW - what are you guys getting for the "Norm. Dist (normal distribution - which I believe is the average error) for these images? I have made my absolute best Rasta image yet, and it is currently at 7.74 after 170 million iterations.

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 1

Lots of great images here but some are horribly stretched. Like the Tolkien picture. It would be cool if he were not squashed. Philsan's images look good. Maybe he could post a tip for the others on correcting aspect ratio.

That was my fault. I did a resize of the pictur before processing and did not keep the correct aspect ratio.

Lots of great images here but some are horribly stretched. Like the Tolkien picture. It would be cool if he were not squashed. Philsan's images look good. Maybe he could post a tip for the others on correcting aspect ratio.

I am getting a bit better at making these. I will document my steps here (so I don't forget, and to help anyone else). I am using an old copy of Photoshop, but many other programs can do the same things,

1. Re-size the picture to 320*240. If the aspect ratio is too far off to achieve this, crop the image before resizing.
  2. Convert the image to an 8-bit INDEXED colour depth. I use the Altirra.ACT palette and allow Photoshop to apply dithering to the image if needed. I find I get much better results this way as opposed to having Rasta Convertor dither the image.
  3. To help determine if a mask is needed (this is a subjective call and often requires trial & error), I will use the /PREPROCESS argument when running RastaConvertor. Look at the output image, keeping in mind that this is the absolute best case that can be done and the Atari will almost never reach that image.

I found out last night that letting the convertor run longer does not always guarantee the best results. I had an image that looked almost perfect - no banding what-so-ever after only 230 million iterations. Fortunately I saved all the files from this stage. I decided to let it run all night, and woke up to a 1,180 million iteration image. Although the Normal Distance decreased from 7.66 down to 7.13, horizontal banding had crept in and IMHO the image looked worse.

Happy converting - thanks to phaeron's 400% speed improvement, I will be converting more images now.

• Like 1

OK, I feel like such a newbie, considering how long I've visited this forum, but how do you post an image in a forum message. I see it done all the time, but looking at the editing buttons available, the button for insert image wants a URL. Is everyone posting screen shots really hosting the pictures off site and linking to them? If there's a way to post an image saved on your hard drive, I can't figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

OK, I feel like such a newbie, considering how long I've visited this forum, but how do you post an image in a forum message. I see it done all the time, but looking at the editing buttons available, the button for insert image wants a URL. Is everyone posting screen shots really hosting the pictures off site and linking to them? If there's a way to post an image saved on your hard drive, I can't figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

Click "More Reply Options". This will open the full editor. Bottom left will be an option to Attach Files. After the file has uploaded, there will be a button next to it that says "Add to post".

Click "More Reply Options". This will open the full editor. Bottom left will be an option to Attach Files. After the file has uploaded, there will be a button next to it that says "Add to post".

LOL, OK that's one place to put it. I never really even considered looking there. Thanks for all the help.

Bob

A couple more minor things. In the City, sometime when there is a long corridor, you end up with a black box off in the distance instead of a wall being displayed(see photo below, this photo also shows the menu box problems with large display). What's odd is there are other places where a much longer corridor still shows a wall at the end. Also, at some point you should save default menu options so every time the program is run, you don't have to re-do changes to Display/Font/Music selections.

Bob

post-18691-0-30439500-1369159818_thumb.png

Here is a great example of why proper pre-processing is important. Below is the result of a 100 million evaluation session using knoll dithering. I will post an updated version much later tonight once I have access to my machine with Photoshop. When I stopped this, the Normal Distribution 9.947.

post-650-0-10034000-1369161978_thumb.png

output.xex

• Like 1