IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Been a bit distracted of late focusing on the A8 hardware side of my 3 x XEs. (Soldering iron has been on a good few times this week). Still lots of conversions running which will hopefully be ready over the next few days. ;-)

In the meantime a few images for ya. (XEX files and a zip at the end with them all and the Altirra JPGs below included).

Filename: Beeblebrox_BFGeatingsm_15 --  45 unique colours

Another BFG image for ya - please with how this turned out - nice fireside glow about the colours.

Detail on one side of the jaw never came through and some minor line errors.

Beeblebrox_BFGeatingsm_15.thumb.jpg.095abc288afd251ee9d2dc79d26864b3.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_Worms-world-partysm_13 -- 76 unique colours

This has errors and I had it running on and off for absolutely ages.

Despite the patchiness/banding it was worth it, some nice detail and colour. (Not played the game itself in years). A 320*200 image (sorry - not centred).

Worms with eyes and hands... and heavy artillery?!?! :D

Beeblebrox_Worms-world-partysm_13.thumb.jpg.caac2ac2293e03742f2e2897b0b05960.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_PredatorArnie1sm_17 -- 63 unique colours

This one ran for billions of evals on and off over a month, inbetween other conversions. I kept coming back to it. Annoying line errors and the banding/incorrect colours are frustrating, (especially around ol Arn's throat!)

A lil more detail round the eyes would have made a lot of difference IMHO, (Arn's eyes look a lil odd here), but this conversion wasn't gonna get any better at this stage.

Still pleased overall with the outcome, (skin tones, lighting, general colours, etc).

Beeblebrox_PredatorArnie1sm_17.thumb.jpg.0a28b2a9c5c9cd21d73c8ec8e9325689.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_Majorpurplehair1sm -- 46 unique colours

This was a very short run (19m evals), and I quite like it's simplicity and stark colours. The Major from Ghost in the Shell.

Beeblebrox_Majorpurplehair1sm.thumb.jpg.1d80e176f967905bfdd080d5b0c8f13c.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_Snoopy1sm_6 -- 77 unique colours.

Did this one as a bit of a test conversion, (blues and reds). Not too bad aside banding and I was a lil too heavy with the dithering. Probably would use another pallette if I did it again (red not right). (Snoopy has 5 o'clock shadow heh heh!:lol:)

Beeblebrox_Snoopy1sm_6.thumb.jpg.09dc2fb758bae89722a788abaadf1fc3.jpg

Beeblebrox_BFGeatingsm_15.xex Beeblebrox_Majorpurplehair1sm.xex Beeblebrox_PredatorArnie1sm_17.xex Beeblebrox_Snoopy1sm_6.xex Beeblebrox_Worms-world-partysm_13.xex Beeblebrox5images.zip

Edited by Beeblebrox
typos
  • Like 5

Few more images inspired by the classic BioShock games and more Studio Ghibli anime :grin:

(XEX files and a Zip with the XEXs plus the Altirra Jpgs at the end as usual)

Filename: Beeblebrox_bioshockinfsmokingwomansm_13.xex -- 38 Unique colours

I liked the source image when I first saw it online. It has struggled a little with the red of the rose against dark brown and red tones on the face/neck/hair.

(In hindsight prob should have used a different pallette). Some banding on jaw. Ran for ages on and off (1.5bill evals). Overall quite a moody image.

Beeblebrox_bioshockinfsmokingwomansm_13.thumb.jpg.81f9c424bb1c57ae053272ee41796103.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_Howlssm_11.xex -- 74 Unique colours

From classic Ghibli anime Howl's Moving castle - the greens have come out particulary well IHMO.

I ran this for 1.54 bill evals and I don't think that I could get any more colour definition to come through with the castle.

I could have cropped it to get more definition/detail in the castle, but then it would have lost it's overall scale. Annoying line error top left of mountain.

Beeblebrox_Howlssm_11.thumb.jpg.1ecdf9aa263ebfa2b80d6eeb3315093a.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_Howlswatermill_13.xex -- 81 unique colours

Another image inspired by the watermill house in Howl's moving castle. 320*200 size (Not centred for a reason which will become clear in future posts);).

Really pleased with the rich colours that have come through and the lake colours/reflection.Some of the window pane lines didn't form at this stage. 

Beeblebrox_Howlswatermill_13.thumb.jpg.1d70f18ae5ce1685c2828ea6374ed6c3.jpg

Beeblebrox_bioshockinfsmokingwomansm_13.xex Beeblebrox_Howlssm_11.xex Beeblebrox_Howlswatermill_13.xex Beeblebrox_3images.zip

• Like 4

In anticipation of the soon to be release game FloB, (looks amazing:grin:), I thought I'd have a bit of a go converting the title "poster" image.

This was a tricky one and lots of tweaking in Irfanview and Paint.Net was needed. In the end it has flaws but I quite like it.:P

XEX file below for download.

Filename: Beeblebrox_Flob3_8.xex -- 63 unique colours

Try as I might getting the background purple/blues and the sillouettes was tricky. Lots of colour swapping in Irfanview, contrast tweaking, editing, etc.

Course the original image is much taller so has a rather squished look bout it!:P

Beeblebrox_Flob3_8.thumb.jpg.d2af0adb42914b1d9702364f4dc774c3.jpg

Beeblebrox_Flob3_8.xex

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@Gunstar Stunning image there!! So vibrant. Going in my fav folder. :grin:

I chose to use the euclid color distance for that one, which I rarely use, but it produced the best color representation for this particular conversion. Of course this was the imaginings of Chesley, and the landscape looks much closer to New Mexico or Arizona than Mars. Especially with the blue sky and what looks like some type of green plant life in the distant background.:D

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drpeter said:

Gorgeous!

What were the dither settings you used in RastaConverter?  Or was it pre-dithered?

No dithering used, no pre-dithering unless you count the artist's (Chesley Bonestel?) painting style and how he blended the color or if it has something to do with where the source image I used came from. It wasn't good enough to be a digital picture of the original art, and was probably ripped from some other media format. But it was good enough source material for being reduced to 160x240 with 128 color palette.;)

Edited by Gunstar

2 hours ago, Gunstar said:
5 hours ago, drpeter said:

No dithering used, no pre-dithering unless you count the artist's (Chesley Bonestel?) painting style and how he blended the color or if it has something to do with where the source image I used came from.

Ah. I thought it didn't look like any RastaConverter setting I'm familiar with.

I believe the artist was Chesley Bonestell, but the scene was a sketch intended to be worked up into a miniature landscape or full matte painting before time and/or budget precluded it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drpeter said:

Ah. I thought it didn't look like any RastaConverter setting I'm familiar with.

I believe the artist was Chesley Bonestell, but the scene was a sketch intended to be worked up into a miniature landscape or full matte painting before time and/or budget precluded it.

I see the image of the full-size Bonestel sketch at the link you provided, and the in-movie scene with the two actors blocking the scene. The coloring of the version I used for my conversion definitely was closer to the color in the film-scene-still, than the coloring of the image of the original sketch, but none really have the same coloring and I don't know if I'd trust the image of the original sketch at that link to necessarily exhibit the proper colors of the sketch in real life. I have to say though, I prefer the more vibrant colors in my conversion to either image shown at the link.

Edited by Gunstar

On 7/5/2021 at 1:15 PM, drpeter said:

Gorgeous!

What were the dither settings you used in RastaConverter?  Or was it pre-dithered?

I found the source image for WWC 'New World', deep in my folders. I actually downloaded it a while ago, it could have been years. I already had a cropped and re-sized version ready to go that I hadn't converted yet. I will often go with a theme, and down load dozens and dozens of images at a time and convert only a few at the time. I don't want to overload posts with too many of the same genre at a time and bore people, I generally stay at less than a half-dozen and move to another genre and then go back later. Anyway, below is my source image for the conversion, and it does say in the file name that it is enhanced. Any natural dithering that Rastaconverter did to the conversion was based on this, then reduced to 320x240x256 in the destination and then converted by Rasta. That process and the settings I chose created it all automatically based on this image.

Worlds_Collide_enhanced3.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another trio of images to post this eve.

Still been running Rasta all the time (just as obessed;-)), but have been focused on hardware troubleshooting my 65XE U1MB and improving my soldering technique of late. (Worth the pain as now my 65XE U1MB is running, SIDE3 cart working and I now have a USB keyboard to join my USB mouse - Brundles has never been better!):)

As usual the separate XEX files and a zip, (containing each as well as the Altirra generated images), are listed at the end.:-D

Filename: Beeblebrox_nebula3sm_8.xex -- 52 unique colours
This was one I started alongside another simliar Nebula themed conversion a few months back. I'd ran it loads at the time, popped on the back burner to resume and promptly totally forgot about it.

Picked it up recently and after some more processing I decided this was probably the best I was going to get. Bit of banding here and there. Like the colours/definition.

Beeblebrox_nebula3sm_8.thumb.jpg.69ce5baafecf0fb0201ab0f07d10cd5d.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_FayVsm_10.xex -- 73 unique colours
73 colours??!! I was pretty surprised as it looks far less. I liked the cheeky image of Faye from Cowboy Beebop when I came across it on t'internet and it's converted fairly well, despite the banding/few line errors that crept in.

Purple hair against the green eye is quite a contrast.

Beeblebrox_FayeVsm_10.thumb.jpg.2964105202c89b050e956a6f2c6f1841.jpg

Filename: Beeblebrox_Ghostmajortac2sm_15.xex -- 72 Unique colours - This image is up there with the long runners, going into many billions of evals. Had it running on and off for ages.

Realised this was probably the best I was gonna get. Really pleased with the definition and the fact it's cropped from a much large image hopefully enhances this action shot the Major from Ghost in the Shell.

Couldn't get rid of the odd banding but the rest more than makes up for it in IMHO.:thumbsup:

Beeblebrox_Ghostmajortac2sm_15.thumb.jpg.a5aacc4901726edb1b163ccaae739a60.jpg

Beeblebrox_3images.zip Beeblebrox_FayeVsm_10.xex Beeblebrox_Ghostmajortac2sm_15.xex Beeblebrox_nebula3sm_8.xex

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 6:53 PM, drpeter said:

The Starry Night

Vincent van Gogh, oil on canvas, 1889.

Museum of Modern Art, New York, USA.

55 colours.

NB there are neither dithering or artefactual errors here- the streaking & dithering effects are created by the original brushstrokes.

output.png

drpeter_StarryNight.xex 22.04 kB · 15 downloads

The red outlined part is completely black, the green part has ditherings.

The picture is too small to see it but on real hardware and emulator the difference it is noticeable.

Perhaps it could be an idea to make the green part too completely black.

1553946578_StarryNight.png.6ecccba73019c0dd39b48168bce77d9b.png

35 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Perhaps it could be an idea to make the green part too completely black.

Completely dark grey, I think you mean.

Hmm.

That's a tricky one, depending on whether you think artistically the contrast between the two segments of the cypress you highlighted jars more than the big sea of mostly grey that would ensue from losing texture from the lower segment.

2 possible ways of approaching this-

(i) running Rasta again, putting a stronger mask on the upper half of the cypress to force texture into that too (as you can see from the attached target destination picture, the dithering is much less prominent as well as being over a narrower horizontal area in the upper part of the cypress)- but at the likely cost of losing something from the starry sky- which after all is the main focus of the image

(ii) editing output.png.mic in Graph2Font to reduce/merge to the dithering in the lower half of the cypress so that the contrast with the upper half is less stark.

What do you think?

output.png-dst.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drpeter said:

Completely dark grey, I think you mean.

Hmm.

That's a tricky one, depending on whether you think artistically the contrast between the two segments of the cypress you highlighted jars more than the big sea of mostly grey that would ensue from losing texture from the lower segment.

2 possible ways of approaching this-

(i) running Rasta again, putting a stronger mask on the upper half of the cypress to force texture into that too (as you can see from the attached target destination picture, the dithering is much less prominent as well as being over a narrower horizontal area in the upper part of the cypress)- but at the likely cost of losing something from the starry sky- which after all is the main focus of the image

(ii) editing output.png.mic in Graph2Font to reduce/merge to the dithering in the lower half of the cypress so that the contrast with the upper half is less stark.

What do you think?

output.png-dst.png

Don't ask me to take this hard decision ah ah!

In fact as you wrote the main focus is the sky.

I would try a completely dark grey cypress.

Or I would edit source image to reduce cypress texture.

• Like 1