IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

18 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

NTSC does a better job of reds than PAL that's for sure.

True, but I get wonderful reds from my PAL converted 1200XL which also has the Supervideo 2.1 1200XL edition upgrade which includes a fixed chroma saturation boost circuit. I was going to make my own 800 video upgrade including the same circuit, but getting a Sophia 2 put that on hold for now. The colors are deeper and richer without color bleed (like you get from turning up saturation on a TV/monitor). I've posted a few screen shots over the years when I've done conversions with the subject matter in reds when people have said it looks brown or gold on their screens. One of them was a red 50's corvette in front of a diner. I can't take new screen shots atm, as my Atari's are all down in the middle of repairs or upgrades. I'll see if I can find that old post and link it or copy the image of my monitor screen over here.

In the mean time, here is my first attempt at converting the POP image that was posted. Normally I would have made adjustments and redone it to get it even better, but I'm just posting it as-is after seeing this whole POP title screen thing go sideways.

POP. 81 colors.

POPa.png

POPa.xex

EDIT: here is the screen shot I was talking about. Now mind you, this photo does make it look over-saturated and "bleeding" (there are suppose to be different shades of red visible on the corvette), but the red hue is true to the actual red hue displayed on screen when displayed with my 1200XL. It's an out-of focus photo from my old phone that did over-saturate the photo compared to the real screen. That's PAL red on my 1200XL. Of course the NTSC reds had vast improvement too with the Supervideo 2.1, as I did the Supervideo mod a while before the PAL conversion.

post-149-0-80337300-1533828955.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

RastaSlide - RastaConverter Slide Show Maker - version 2.6

Changes in version 2.6
- Fixed bug on optimized kernel trailing loads getting undone, and to the wrong line
- Optimizer removes player colour writes(leaving last) when there is no player data

The bug caused minor visual differences at the bottom of a very few RastaConverter pictures as slides so recommend to updatesheddy_heart_in_sand.png.ac94f897129f5d9d2086cfe2f5ec5657.png

RastaSlide 2.6.zip sheddy_heart_in_sand.xex

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

The fixing guide is all down to @drpeter. Very comprehensive tutorial and technical background on RastaConverter. I think this is the latest version:

I added some timing info comments and "line artefact detection" to RastaSlide disassembler to help with manually fixing artefacts although we still end up with false positives. So there is a base to build on an automatic fix attempt. I haven't come up with an approach that is simple enough for me to implement confidently yet though.

On 7/29/2021 at 11:34 PM, rensoup said:

monochrome ?

Please, this is an Atari...

That’s what crossed my mind…..here we have the only 8 bit computer that can do 256 colours in the early 80s, the PoP is the best 8 bit version ever……and we’re going to get a black and white intro screen ? That HAS to be a joke….LOL.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Level42 said:

That’s what crossed my mind…..here we have the only 8 bit computer that can do 256 colours in the early 80s, the PoP is the best 8 bit version ever……and we’re going to get a black and white intro screen ? That HAS to be a joke….LOL.

It could be used as a basis and colored with graph2fnt.

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

now that is an idea... sounds like something that might be agreeable to all parties.

Before anyone spends any more time on this, the author of POP has repeatedly and unequivocally said that he really doesn't like that picture and will never incorporate any version of it into the 'official' POP release (see the POP thread, ad nauseam)

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drpeter said:

Before anyone spends any more time on this, the author of POP has repeatedly and unequivocally said that he really doesn't like that picture and will never incorporate any version of it into the 'official' POP release (see the POP thread, ad nauseam)

Exactly which POP screen shot shown in this thread are you referring too? Post#?

5 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Exactly which POP screen shot shown in this thread are you referring too? Post#?

All of them - rensoup does not like any of them if there a) are bathroom tiles in it b) is no mouse in it.

(Maybe we should add Mickey Mouse or Jerry Mouse or Speedy Gonzalez or some other famous mouse ? Mickey will give us a "cease and desist" letter from Disney immediately.)

• Thanks 1