IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

If you don't have clean black borders, then you are not using the latest version. The /noborders option was removed several versions ago. ilmenit's version 5.1 is here. phaeron's threaded version is here.

Thanks a lot for this hint. Took the wrong Generator code to generate the xex. Phaeron's archive 'only' contains the new version of the converter not the generator, so I took one of another directory, I had on my disc with an older version.

Here my picture generated with a proper generator: FCU15-03-2013.xex

• Like 2

Floyd dithering doesn't work well with Atari 2x1 pixels, because it creates too many vertical stripes. In the new version of RC I'll try to revert error diffusion algorithm to produce horizontal stripes instead.

Which type of dither do you recommend? I seem to get the best results with Floyd or knoll, but Floyd is much faster.

RastaConverter.exe black_wolf.jpg /dither=floyd /dither_val=1 /dither_rand=0 /s=10000 /save=250000 /threads=4 /max_evals=800000000

post-650-0-69718400-1369832056_thumb.png

wolf.xex

I call this one Darth Rainbow - don't get offended by Darth's statement, he is a Sith after all. I thought it would be a good test off diagonal and vertical colour bars, as opposed to everything being laid out horizontally. I do not remember where the original image was sourced.

rastaconverter darth.jpg /h=240 /dither=floyd /s=10000 /threads=8 /save250000

I'm confused what I'm doing wrong with RastaConverter. I'm getting a .png file generated which looks like the middle picture, but no .XEX file?

You need to run mads to generate the xex file. There is a folder named "Generator". It's quickest to copy the files rom that directory to a directory containing all of the "output" files. Then just double-click the "build.bat" file.

You need to run mads to generate the xex file. There is a folder named "Generator". It's quickest to copy the files rom that directory to a directory containing all of the "output" files. Then just double-click the "build.bat" file.

Got it, thanks! I'm viewing the XEX files on my Atari 130XE with a SIO2SD. Looks great. When I hit a key, the picture gets a little strange. What is it that the generated XEX file is supposed to do when you hit a key? Return to DOS? Reboot?

Two other questions I had:

1] The colors look accurate when I am building the image. And they look good inside of Atari800. But when I actually view them on an Atari 130XE, they take on a significantly bad greenish cast. Is the blame on the palette I selected, or bad color fidelity on my 130XE? (Go ahead and assume that the colors on my PC's display are accurate.)

2] On the multithreaded version, I can set it to 16, 32, 64 threads. But it is only producing 6 threads which is eating up only 25% of my box's total CPU power (effectively, it is only using a single CPU core's worth). My CPU isn't anything fancy. A quad-core Q6600 overclocked to 3.2Ghz. Why isn't it chewing more CPU or producing more threads?

2] On the multithreaded version, I can set it to 16, 32, 64 threads. But it is only producing 6 threads which is eating up only 25% of my box's total CPU power (effectively, it is only using a single CPU core's worth). My CPU isn't anything fancy. A quad-core Q6600 overclocked to 3.2Ghz. Why isn't it chewing more CPU or producing more threads?

This sounds like either you're not actually using the multithreaded version or the threads setting is not getting through. Just two threads should let you hit nearly 50%, and for this CPU you would want /threads=4. 16 threads on a quad core is ridiculous and will actually slow things down to the all the threads fighting with each other. In fact, I limited the /threads setting to 32 in the config code.

1] The colors look accurate when I am building the image. And they look good inside of Atari800. But when I actually view them on an Atari 130XE, they take on a significantly bad greenish cast. Is the blame on the palette I selected, or bad color fidelity on my 130XE? (Go ahead and assume that the colors on my PC's display are accurate.)

That could happen if you use a PAL palette and try to display on an NTSC machine.

RastaConverter Beta7, command line Win32 x86

Binary: http://bintray.com/ilmenit/generic/RastaConverter/Beta7/general

Sources: http://github.com/ilmenit/RastaConverter

• MULTI-THREADED version - many thanks to Phaeron!
  • Fixed bug causing crash with /dither=knoll + /preprocess
  • /onoff option added to control used registers - basic version
  • Optimized version of raster program (.rp) is saved as .opt
  • Changed default options to: /filter=box /pal=laoo
  • /height is automatically assigned to keep proportion of the screen if width:height is higher than 4:3
  • Fixed screen redraw when switching the application window
  • New dithering types: line and line2
  • Fixed Jarvis dithering
  • Fix in floyd dithering - should't produce that many vertical stripes
  • /picture_colors was buggy. Removed.

• Like 3

Hi,

Thanks ilmenit for beta7 !

Please, two questions :

Why did you changed the mask display position ?

I preferred when it displayed on the source image ... now it's difficult to see destination image when I try to adjust settings (I use the Larek's RCGUI) to have best possible quality :/

If I copy beta5.1 output generated files to beta7 folder and do "rastaconverter.exe /continue /threads=4", multithreads works ?

Thanks ! :)

Edited by StaxX28

1. Why did you changed the mask display position ?

2. If I copy beta5.1 output generated files to beta7 folder and do "rastaconverter.exe /continue /threads=4", multithreads works ?

1. I'll revert it back in the next version. My mistake when fixing the code to refresh the view of the screen.

2. You have to add /threads=4 in output.png.rp file in CmdLine: