IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

This was, I think, the 2nd image I converted in Rastaconverter in April. I remember two separate attempts at it in the end. This one ran for ages.

I love the fringe defintion and the eyes, and generally love the garrish colours - despite the horrendous banding and line errors. Would love to revisit this image and get it right sometime.

Filename: Beeblebrox_Greeneyeanimeattempt2.xex

Beeblebrox_Greeneyeanimeattempt2.thumb.jpg.64c0f6cf379871030c9ef514bc18d24d.jpg

Beeblebrox_Greeneyeanimeattempt2.xex

• Like 2

I really liked this poster inspired by Ghost in the Shell so had a go at quickly converting it earlier this year. Banding aside, it came out fairly well (for a quick conversion if I recall).

This one was a 320*200 source image to keep the dimensions. (Non centered)

Filename: Beeblebrox_Ghostshell1.xex

Beeblebrox_Ghostshell1.thumb.jpg.142b4c920e933f6f82fee28a766b1310.jpg

Beeblebrox_Ghostshell1.xex

Here is the source image btw:

ghostintheshell1.thumb.jpg.2d58fc2275e398e3f5aeafdeeb38fd84.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

@Gunstar  Thanks for the last post. Hot pink it definitely an accurate description of that colour, least the one displayed on real hardware:

628419980_AngryBirds800.thumb.jpg.5482aeb8c763118b76ff1f8c0ac26df2.jpg

The one Altirra is displaying which is much duller I'd call a sort of plum type colour :grin:

image.png.30b66acac8965ca11821df48217b66c8.png  Beeblebrox_Angrybirdssmincomplete20.thumb.jpg.bccd098410b3783c10be405da0751691.jpg

Those are plumbs - honest! 

:rolling:

Hope you get your 1200XL up and running. Also look forward to seeing he 800 blog post.

I've done various mods on A8s this year, mainly to restore Chroma for S-video on XLs, or attempts to minimise jail bars, jaggies, sharpen the image - mainly for XEs.  Generally been happy with the results. I've been generally impressed with the stock outputs for the 800, 800XL and in particular the 600XL. I agree Atari screwed up big time.

I will get them both up and running, it's just finding the time, which for me is the winter season when my seasonal business slows down. I should have the 800 done soon though, as I already have a bit more free time, but not much. I'm remodeling and want to have it all done in time for Christmas though, so I doubt I'll get to any of my other machines until after Christmas. The 800 has the best stock video I've seen, as far as sharpness and clarity, but the chroma output is no better than the others at their modded best. I am hopeful the Sophia 2 will give me better color output from the GTIA, like my 1200XL does. The real test for me is if it produces true reds from the GTIA color palette like my 1200XL does, even if the color is richer, if the reds are still more brownish and orangish I will be disappointed no matter how good the rest of the video output looks.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Big Red Dwarf fan. Will probably revisit this one to get the colours more accurate someday.

Kryten

Filename:Beeblebrox_krytenheadsmincomplete.xex

Beeblebrox_krytenheadsmincomplete.thumb.jpg.353f737f48ada258fadcb76fc23310a3.jpg

Beeblebrox_krytenheadsmincomplete.xex 22.29 kB · 1 download

Are you my long lost twin separated at birth? Big Red Dwarf fan too. How do you feel about Hyperdrive? Another favorite of mine that has too few seasons and episodes though...

I wish I'd persevered with this one back in early April. I think I stopped it early and never resumed it.

I like the stylised cartoon look and the colours. Some redeeming features so thought I'd share it, despite the errors. (And yes it has an odd boarder)

Filename: Beeblebrox_ciriartprint1.xex

Beeblebrox_ciriartprint1.thumb.jpg.8773485489b8dd04b2de622e7a5889b7.jpg

Beeblebrox_ciriartprint1.xex

That's the last of em for now.  :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Are you my long lost twin separated at birth? Big Red Dwarf fan too. How do you feel about Hyperdrive? Another favorite of mine that has too few seasons and episodes though...

@Gunstar :grin:  The first 5 seasons of Red Dwarf have some of the best. Some good episodes in series 6 and 7. It really lost it's way badly in the late 90s in series 8, when they resurrected the full crew. Most of the one off feature espisodes in recent years have also been pretty bad. Although the last 3 full series (10/11/12) have actually not been too bad and they have kinda returned to their roots a little.

My fav episodes are ones like Marooned, Backwards, Polymorph, Terrorform, Dimension jump, Back to Reality, Quarrantine, Holloship, Justice, Legion, Rimmerworld, Psirens. Quarrantine has some great moments. Legion is also fantastic ... I wanna get me some Jovian boogle hoops gravitational culinary utensils :D

I don't think I've ever checked out Hyperdrive - has Nick Frost in it - (I also love SPACED from the late 90's which he was in) Will check it out.:thumbsup:

I am a big IT crowd and Father Ted fan. Also watched Community last year for the first time and loved it. Big Rick and Morty fan too. 

Been watching Inside Job recently - it's pretty good.

So many shows... Futurama has some fantastic episodes...... (Epsiode Meanwhile is fantastic).

@BeeblebroxI love IT crowd too! Another series that ended far too soon, like Hyperdrive. Rick and Morty too, can't get enough! And of course Futurama, my Avatar was of Bender with a caption for a long time. I did a Rasta conversion of it and used it! Sorry, I'll let you do a search through this thread for it...I became a big fan of Nick Frost from Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Gunstar said:

@BeeblebroxI love IT crowd too! Another series that ended far too soon, like Hyperdrive. Rick and Morty too, can't get enough! And of course Futurama, my Avatar was of Bender with a caption for a long time. I did a Rasta conversion of it and used it! Sorry, I'll let you do a search through this thread for it...I became a big fan of Nick Frost from Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

@Gunstar  If you like Nick Frost then check out SPACED from the late 90's. It's where Simon Pegg and Nick Frost - best mates in real life - cut their teeth. One of my all time favs. It's quite surreal in places with some great comedy characters. Lots of cultural film references. One of the episodes was the inspiration for Shaun of the Dead. Spaced was also directed by Edgar Wright, (who also directed the latter), before he went on to go to Hollywood. It has Bill Bailey in it as a quirky comic book shop owner and Kevin Eldon (Hyperdrive) makes an appearance a few times.

• Thanks 1

This image was a total labour of love and was likely way too ambitious. Tried many times with different tweaked source files and RC settings in April and May of this year. In the end, whilst I don't have the exact figures for this particular run, this one was over 100 unique colours and ran well over 3 billion evaluations. I loved the source image and wanted to see how RC would handle it. I think I was using well under the recommended number of solutions.

Banding errors throughout the head and neck - frustratingly missing some detail from the top of the headphone and also neck completely that was in the source image - but generally the colours and patterns in the hair translated fairly well IMHO:)

Altirra pallette, ceide colour dist - no other info available

at least 100 unique colours

Filename: Beeblebrox_headphonegirlattempt4.xex

Beeblebrox_headphonegirlattempt4.thumb.jpg.ca02eb91131149a6a76eb48631ac5e55.jpg

Beeblebrox_headphonegirlattempt4.xex

Here's what it looks like on my 800, (on LG Flatron M227WD LCD 21" widescreen monitor with an S-video cable - again low artificial light and obviously on my modern phone camera):

image.thumb.png.6c937bbf0d4048d07bd4a68662b5a37e.png

This is what the original source file looked like, (just managed to find it):

image.png.1809c590245e700a847412f77d1eb7e0.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

BTW if anyone more experienced at RC and image conversions in general wants to have a crack at the Headphones girl image I'd really welcome it.:D

I would really love to see as much as is possible the missing details in the headphone band itself as well as the missing details in the neck and face come through - whilst at the very least retaining the colours that had come through in my attempts. The goal of the image for me was to be as vibrant as possible to do it justice. It's one of my fav images to have converted with Rasterconverter, despite it's flaws.:)

Here is the actual original untweaked image I then took my source image from:

headphonesgirlsource.jpg

Edited by Beeblebrox

The original needs doctoring  IMO - there's loss of detail, I didn't even know there were headphones as a theme until seeing the original.

The brightness difference/contrast in the detail of the headphones isn't sufficient to be reproduced on the Atari.

The background is superfluous and you'd do well to just make it one colour.

• Thanks 1

Here's a Steampunk image that intrigues me, I love the subject matter and think it looks really cool, but it is also hilarious and I'm not sure if it's on purpose or not...think about it...wood or fossil fuel required for heat to produce steam? Under water? I hope that exhaust comes out at higher pressure than the water you are under...removing the Oxygen required for fire from the water are we?:rolling:

Deep Diver. 83 colors.

GS_DeepDiver.png

DeepDiver.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Rybags said:

The original needs doctoring  IMO - there's loss of detail, I didn't even know there were headphones as a theme until seeing the original.

The brightness difference/contrast in the detail of the headphones isn't sufficient to be reproduced on the Atari.

The background is superfluous and you'd do well to just make it one colour.

@Rybags  Sure. With quite a few of my images of characters for example I take the background out of the equation by making it black. This was a really early conversion I did when first starting out with RC conversions before I realised. Still, in this one I really like the golds/browns and greys in the background. Though removing them would give the details missing in my conversion a better chance,especially if I play around some more with the contast, perhaps do some colour swaps pre-process. (I always play around considerably with the contrast in both tweaking the source image before it goes into RC, and then in the RC GUI settings several times before I hit convert. That any many other things of course.)

I may revist this one myself and put these things as well as other tricks I've learn't into practice. Still, would welcome others to try a conversion who also like the image. :D

Edited by Beeblebrox

5 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Here's a Steampunk image that intrigues me, I love the subject matter and think it looks really cool, but it is also hilarious and I'm not sure if it's on purpose or not...think about it...wood or fossil fuel required for heat to produce steam? Under water? I hope that exhaust comes out at higher pressure than the water you are under...removing the Oxygen required for fire from the water are we?:rolling:

Deep Diver. 83 colors.

GS_DeepDiver.png

DeepDiver.xex 22.07 kB · 4 downloads

@Gunstar Like it, even if the subject matter defies logic heh heh.:grin:

6 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Steam-powered submarines were a thing... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_K-class_submarine although for the obvious reasons suggested, like most non-nuclear subs they relied on battery-driven electric motors when submerged, having to surface (or near-surface, with a snorkel) to recharge.

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, drpeter said:

Steam-powered submarines were a thing... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_K-class_submarine although for the obvious reasons suggested, like most non-nuclear subs they relied on battery-driven electric motors when submerged, having to surface (or near-surface, with a snorkel) to recharge.

Yes, but clearly the machine in the converted art above, if it were real, isn't electrically heated, judging by the smoke stacks.

Edited by Gunstar