IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Now here's one for the ladies :) I call this "typical internet poster" (glad nobody here is typical). The command line to run this was RastaConverter.exe /i=fat.jpg /dither=line2 /pal=altirra /s=10000 /max_evals=250000000 /save=250000 /threads=4

post-650-0-61257600-1370491914_thumb.png

fat.xex

Wow factor on the boxes, especially showing so many shades in one line for the 130XE.

I think the next step in this whole thing might be a movie builder, although of course the pre-processing on PC side might take days for a few seconds worth of footage and playback would involve an IDE class device.

Edited by Rybags

The above Atari 800 box (PAL model) is mine! I recently got it from the UK.

I am currently looking for the so called Atari 800 "international" Owner's Guide (containing text in 5 different languages).

Does anyone own one or has at least seen one?

Here is the same for the A400: http://www.atarimania.com/documents/atari-400-computer-owners-guide.pdf

Let me know!

I feel crazy for liking pictures of boxes but these are the best conversions yet!

Philsan would you please redo the 800 one using OlivierN palette (see attachment) so that I might enjoy it on my NTSC machines?

I will gladly do it.

The photo given to me by iratasan doesn't need no more photoshopping for that.

You only have to be patient because the conversion needs a lot of time.

• Like 1

I will gladly do it.

The photo given to me by iratasan doesn't need no more photoshopping.

You only have to be patient because the conversion needs a lot of time.

Thank you very much! I'm patient. I'm just not patient enough to do these conversions on this old single core machine. Conversions seem to tie up what little resources this machine has.

Thanks again, Philsan!

What I see in the .PNG is exactly what I see on my monitor and my TV using my 800XL. The colors matchup exactly.

One thing that is strange though. The top of the 800 has that orange color. It seems brighter and, well, more colorful than it should be.

That color matches the .PNG but it seems out of place

Could the palette be off for just one color? This question is for anyone who can offer any insight.

-Steve

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 1

That color matches the .PNG but it seems out of place

That is the problem with limited color palette on Atari and dithering. You have to diffuse error into other pixels and when pixels are big, they don't blend well if closest colors of Atari palette are too far from original ones. The yellow top of the picture is caused however by default /predistance=ciede. CIEDE2000 gives more saturated colors when they are close to gray. This is what you expected usually, but it doesn't work for things that should be grey. For that case other /predistance options are added.

That is the problem with limited color palette on Atari and dithering. You have to diffuse error into other pixels and when pixels are big, they don't blend well if closest colors of Atari palette are too far from original ones. The yellow top of the picture is caused however by default /predistance=ciede. CIEDE2000 gives more saturated colors when they are close to gray. This is what you expected usually, but it doesn't work for things that should be grey. For that case other /predistance options are added.

Ilmenit, thank you for the explanation but now I'm confused. Why didn't Philsan's original rendering of the same picture exhibit a similar result?

Ilmenit, thank you for the explanation but now I'm confused. Why didn't Philsan's original rendering of the same picture exhibit a similar result?

The difference is in palettes. In OlivierN palette some of those grey colors were closer to yellow than in PAL palette.

Finding the closest color to some other from limited set (Atari palette) is not that easy as it seems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_difference

Edited by ilmenit

I would prefer an image without perspective distortion:

post-12528-0-70993700-1370973960_thumb.jpg

I am not a good photographer but if you move away from the box and use the zoom you'll get better results.

A Fili'.... ringrazia che cio' na fotocamera Panasonic dell'anteguerra (1600x1200)... un minimo di lens-distortion e' fisiologico da vicino...

Se uso lo zoom (solo digitale) e' peggio te l'assicuro...

E poi per produrre un'immagine di pochi pixel e pochi colori va piu' che bene dai!

La ritagli un minimo intorno e amen! :-)

Su su!