IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

• 2 weeks later...

RastaSlide - Slideshow Maker - version 3.1

Changes in version 3.1
- Register re-allocation now done on kernel optimisation for some compression gains
- "#try to fix HPOS artefacts" allocation failures fixed with improved re-allocator
- Added experimental tools "#try to map NTSC to PAL" and "#try to map PAL to NTSC"sheddy_hot_air_balloons.png.072d259ef7b79773e3fde5145f6b9ac5.png

RastaSlide 3.1.zip sheddy_hot_air_balloons.xex

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Happy new year everyone!:grin:

Inspired by the amazing winter images others had been posting leading up to Christmas I started running this last week and resumed it over the last day or so. I liked the colours in the source image, in particular the reflection on the water.

Ran it for way longer than intended. Few line errors across the sky. No mask used.

Winter sunset (although it could be sunrise too!:D

Source image decreased to 256 colours and resized to 320*240. Preprocessed in Irfanview with RGB lines and contrast/saturation/gamma tweaked

Filter = bicubic
pal = atari800winplus
color dis = yuv
initial state = smart
no of solutions = 10000
Threads = 09
preprocess = yuv 
brightness = 2
contrast = 50
gamma = 0.9
dither = floyd
dither strength  = 1.0

3+ bill evaluations

82 unique colours

Filename: Beeblebrox_Wintertreesunsetsm2_08.xex

(image grab from Altirra with pal high artifacting enabled)

Beeblebrox_Wintertreesunsetsm2_08.thumb.jpg.fd957e331da5002dc1861893ac6d3427.jpg

Beeblebrox_Wintertreesunsetsm2_08.xex

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Happy new year everyone!:grin:

Inspired by the amazing winter images others had been posting leading up to Christmas I started running this last week and resumed it over the last day or so. I liked the colours in the source image, in particular the reflection on the water.

Ran it for way longer than intended. Few line errors across the sky. No mask used.

Winter sunset (although it could be sunrise too!:D

Source image decreased to 256 colours and resized to 320*240. Preprocessed in Irfanview with RGB lines and contrast/saturation/gamma tweaked

Filter = bicubic
pal = atari800winplus
color dis = yuv
initial state = smart
no of solutions = 10000
Threads = 09
preprocess = yuv 
brightness = 2
contrast = 50
gamma = 0.9
dither = floyd
dither strength  = 1.0

3+ bill evaluations

82 unique colours

Filename: Beeblebrox_Wintertreesunsetsm2_08.xex

(image grab from Altirra with pal high artifacting enabled)

Beeblebrox_Wintertreesunsetsm2_08.thumb.jpg.fd957e331da5002dc1861893ac6d3427.jpg

Beeblebrox_Wintertreesunsetsm2_08.xex 22.05 kB · 7 downloads

I attempted to convert this image some time ago.  I was almost happy with it.

Link

[Edit]

IIRC I was unable to generate a presentable PAL version

Edited by a8isa1

Back to the future re-run over Christmas on the ol TV prompted me to run this conversion. :grin:

Tweaked source image RGB lines and contrast, saturation, gamma in Irfanview. Decreased to 256 colours. Resized to 320*240 then RC settings tweaked further and conversion processed at  320*240 

Few lines errors still present

4.5+ Billion evaluations

70 unique colours

Filename: Beeblebrox_BacktotheFuturesm1_12.xex

Beeblebrox_BacktotheFuturesm1_12.thumb.jpg.1cefd01b6e3481f21335ec477bd4d41c.jpg

Beeblebrox_BacktotheFuturesm1_12.xex

Settings were:
Filter = bicubic
pal = altirra
color dis = yuv
initial state = smart
no of solutions = 15000
Threads = 9
preprocess = yuv 
brightness = 0
contrast = 31
gamma = 1.0
dither = none
dither strength  = n/a
mask applied
Mask value = 20

• Like 5

Johannes Vermeer, Girl with a Pearl Earring. 31 colors.

output.png.8840dd46458bdfc81680b4284b04f92b.png

I tried to prepare more clean and nice looking image on Atari rather than making a realistic copy of the painting. Some image preprocessing was needed to obtain the result.

The image above comes from RastaConverter and the image below is a screenshot from Altirra.

altirra.png.0b0b5740223ef6749fc7ccb4e943ad22.png

Surprisingly, the color of the skin is much closer to the original on the Altirra. Of course, it is matter of the color palette.

I hope that some day I will be able to see all of my conversions on my real hardware which waits for reactivation.

amarok_girl_pearl.xex

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, amarok said:

Johannes Vermeer, Girl with a Pearl Earring. 31 colors.

Now that's funny - not only I did a conversion someone did before, or @Beeblebrox above, no, you did it too:

Seems there is more truth in "it was only a question of time if we RastaConverted all images of the internet and produce only duplicates..." than I imagined...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Been busy cooking up some more images over the last few weeks. (The usual - have run so many conversions but only a few make the cut heh heh:D)

First up, this one I've been attempting to nail this past fortnight. This is the 3rd attempt at a conversion - very pleased with the outcome.

(Only slight gripe is the fact that the bottom right of the conversion has rather a square block effect to it. Ah well, can't win em all.;))

Cornwall sunset

1.4 Bill evaluations

70 unique colours

Filename: Beeblebrox_Cornwallsunsetsm3_05.xex

(Altirra image with PAL high artifacting enabled)

image.thumb.png.56fc84ed686d0971fc6d1377c9d57eeb.png

Beeblebrox_Cornwallsunsetsm3_05.xex

Source file was edited a little in Paint.net, then in Irfanview it was reduced to 128 colours, RGB lines and contrast, gamma and saturation tweaked, resized to 320x240 then processed in RC at 320*240 with more RC settings tweaks.

Settings were:
Filter = bilinear; pal = altirra; color dis = yuv; initial state = smart; no of solutions = 20000; Threads = 9; preprocess = yuv; brightness = 15; contrast = 34; gamma = 0.9; dither = jarvis; dither strength  =3.0; Randomness = 1.0; mask value 30

This is what it looks like on my B&O MX4000 CRT running off my 800 via S-video (again forgive the loss of colour - camera phone, CRT, etc, etc):

image.thumb.png.4339d0ce1d487e91ae126588910b3e20.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
typo
  • Like 3

I decided I wanted to try an convert a series of lighthouse images. This was one of the more successful ones, a moody dawn - (I forgot to note down the location - somewhere in the States I think).

Lighthouse Lights

401 mill evaluations

69 unique colours

Filename: Beeblebrox_Lighthouselightssm1_04.xex

image.thumb.png.76bd7b1af52985f4b50ddb7f5eede761.png

Beeblebrox_Lighthouselightssm1_04.xex

Source file was reduced to 256 colours RGB lines and contrast, gamma and saturation tweaked, resized to 320x240 then processed in RC at 320*240 with more RC settings tweaks.

Settings were: Filter = bilinear; pal = atari800winplus; color dis = yuv; initial state = smart; no of solutions = 20000; Threads = 9; preprocess = yuv; brightness = 1; contrast = 26; gamma = 1.2; dither = none; dither strength  = n/a; randomness = n/a; mask value 20

..and this is what it looks like on my B&O MX4000 CRT running off my 800 via S-video:

image.thumb.png.8d3003769fcdad5f8f667eac5f589121.png

• Like 5

Continuing the lighthouse theme, (again sorry, another US location somewhere - I forget:P) Quite a garishly coloured one - source image was too. Still, interesting effect and looks good on CRTs.

477 mill evaluations

61 unique colours

Filename: Beeblebrox_lighthouseorangeskysm1_04.xex

image.thumb.png.44895eb05faf577d9dfae20d0ab107b2.png

Beeblebrox_lighthouseorangeskysm1_04.xex

Source file was reduced to 256 colours RGB lines and contrast, gamma and saturation tweaked, resized to 320x240 then processed in RC at 320*240 with more RC settings tweaks.

Settings were: Filter = bilinear; pal = altirra; color dis = yuv; initial state = smart; no of solutions = 20000; Threads = 9; preprocess = yuv; brightness = 4; contrast = 37; gamma = 1; dither = jarvis; dither strength  = 1.2; randomness = 1.0; mask value 20

..and this is what it looks like on my B&O MX4000 CRT running off my 800 via S-video

(my 800 hiding under the 800XL btw (not much space on my crammed desk));):

image.thumb.png.f5bcbeba286056f43aa409fae5fb1075.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

I decided I wanted to try an convert a series of lighthouse images. This was one of the more successful ones, a moody dawn - (I forgot to note down the location - somewhere in the States I think).

I believe that is Green Haven Light in Michigan

I like your photo choice of that lighthouse and also your rastaconversion much better than either of mine.  (I can't seem to locate the message in this thread). 

This lighthouse conversion is the only one I was happy with.  There's a PAL version further down the page.

Please continue with your lighthouse series.  Lighthouses are always fun to see.

-SteveS

55 minutes ago, a8isa1 said:

I believe that is Green Haven Light in Michigan

I like your photo choice of that lighthouse and also your rastaconversion much better than either of mine.  (I can't seem to locate the message in this thread). 

This lighthouse conversion is the only one I was happy with.  There's a PAL version further down the page.

Please continue with your lighthouse series.  Lighthouses are always fun to see.

-SteveS

@a8isa1  thanks, they are quite pleasing to convert. Ah in Michigan... thanks.:)

I checked out your PAL version of your lightout conversion and it's great, love it... nice use of dither. :thumbsup: 

I have a couple more lighthouse ones which I'd paused to make way for other images, but I might see if I can post at least one more of them if it gets to a standard I am happy with. 

Whilst I do like doing my lighthouse conversions my fav landscape (own) conversion so far is that I posted earlier yesterday (Cornwall sunset), despite the slightly unsightly graphical block bottom right of the conversion. I loved the source image and for me is has the lovely rich yellow/orange sunset tones contrasted against the browns and blues of the land and sea - I love the sun light bouncing off the sea.. and IMHO it looks fantastic on the CRT. Plus I just love to see an A8 pull off such colours. I never tire from the fact that my A8 is displaying more than 4 colours in this graphics mode, still blows me away.:D  (Case in point my Multicoloured Spiderman conversion just before Christmas with 113 colours (despite it's flaws).)

Got loads more to post over the next few days... just finishing cooking them :D

EDIT: BTW funnily enough on the very same page of your lighthouse conversion sits one of my all time favourite landscape conversions by Gunstar - it's truly spectacular and a great showcase image for Rastaconverter (See Ocean Cave):lust: You also liked it at the time I see. :thumbsup:

Edited by Beeblebrox
adding more info

Iconic PC game No Man's Sky always has fantastic/surreal colour schemes - keeps me coming back for more NMS RC conversions.

Maxed em out in this attempt to get some really interesting vibrant colour effects, and nice reflection of alien figures in visor. :D Incidentally I tried a conversion of this image with dither and for me in this instance that just detracted from the image so I went with this conversion instead. Some line errors but worth posting IMHO.

1.924 bill evaluations

89 unique colours

Filename: Beeblebrox_NMSsuitsm1_11_fixed.xex

image.thumb.png.f015aaa264d7614af33e15a672b0c43b.png

Beeblebrox_NMSsuitsm1_11_fixed.xex

Source file was reduced to 128 colours, (hence the graduated banding in the sky); RGB lines and saturation, contract and gamma tweaked/image resized to 320x240 in Irfanview, then processed in RC at 320*240 after more RC settings tweaks:

Settings were: Filter = bicubic; pal = altirra; color dis = yuv; initial state = smart; no of solutions = 20000; Threads = 9; preprocess = yuv; brightness = -4; contrast = 38; gamma = 0.8; dither = none; dither strength  = n/a; randomness = n/a; mask value 20

(Ran it through Sheddys' tool to remove some pm artifacts hence the fixed ref in the title.)

..this is what it looks like on my B&O MX4000 CRT running off my 800 via S-video - richer colours off this CRT :)

image.thumb.png.4ef8f9e0772abf162a90197bed8842fd.png

...and on my Panasonic 10" CRT running off my 800XL (UAV vD installed) via S-Video:

image.thumb.png.674d2604335780eb6fcbc282ad48b5e1.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 5

Playing around with colour and silhouette. Saw this image on a Google image search and thought it might convert nicely. Really like how the the greens and yellows against the dark tones turned out. Also like how the skylight passing through highlights the metal rigging of the satellite dish. Really wish the stars had come through a bit more.

Probably should have doctored them in the source image or at least expanded the mask to cover some individual ones.

Few line errors. Could have let it run longer I guess but other image conversions taking priority.:D

Satellite Sky

924 mill evaluations

75 unique colours

Filename: Beeblebrox_Satelliteskysm1_07.xex

image.thumb.png.0f8d7a0734b547c7a6c0d87262c927f8.png

Beeblebrox_Satelliteskysm1_07.xex

Here was the conversion in progess and the mask I used:

image.thumb.png.a79a3f27c7d04749eae912a57bff4630.png

Source file was reduced to 128 colours  RGB lines and saturation, contract and gamma tweaked/image resized to 320*240 in Irfanview, then processed in RC at 320*240 after a few more RC settings were tweaked

Settings were: Filter = bilinear; pal = altirra; color dis = yuv; initial state = smart; no of solutions = 20000; Threads = 9; preprocess = yuv; brightness = -14; contrast = 53; gamma = 1.1; dither = none; dither strength  = n/a; Randomness = n/a; mask value 20

..this is what it looks like on my B&O MX4000 CRT running off my 800 via S-video

(as usual some colour lost whilst taking the pic on my camera phone.

Also some purple tones show up as blues on my 800 and this CRT compared with the above Altirra shot (stock settings)). May need to tweak the CRT display settings.

image.thumb.png.6392faa8d2e31f81ff44a4b7f18e547a.png

And here on my Panasonic 10" CRT running off my 800XL (again UAV rD installed), you can see the purples are coming through much better on than on my 800/B&O CRT.

(Again you can see how tricky it is with the slow CRT refresh rate and modern camera phones to capture the colours acurately in a shot - aside trying to avoid the flickering, some colours are just coming across as overexposed white. Probably need to turn off the auto white balance on my camera phone as some have suggested. It does look much better to the naked eye than this shot).

image.thumb.png.0ccfe833bcecf65acd2f746934561d5e.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1