IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

I should probably mention, before I get too many "thanks" reactions that the majority of images I'm revisiting were tall, vertically oriented images to start with, and I Zoomed/cropped them for "close ups" of the subject matter and that revisiting them means more of the original image in horizontal orientation. But there are quite a few the other way 'round too.

Here is another version of 'Pretty Deadly II' that I ran for about 750 million evaluations. I slightly increased the contrast by just two points and changed the palette from Laoo to Altirra. I think it's better and I like the colors better, even though it has 5 less colors than the first.

Pretty Deadly IIb. 42 colors.

PrettyDeadlyIIb.png.949d0b60fcb75e5e96c3b25dcdd430bf.png

PrettyDeadlyIIb.xex

Now I'll move on to something else. No it won't be a revisit, but something I haven't done before. I'll sprinkle in revisits in my postings.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 7

56 minutes ago, ivop said:

$ atari800 -rotate90 PrettyDeadlyIIb.xex

Very helpful :)

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Swivel-Adjustable-Tempered-HT02B-001/dp/B075TZV6K2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=E1Q7IC688F4D&keywords=monitor+tv+90+degree+swivel+stand&qid=1645739505&sprefix=monitor+tv+90+degree+swivel+stand%2Caps%2C419&sr=8-4

Very Helpful...for both my PC and Atari for full screen images on my 21" LCD Element TV/Monitor.:cool: My other Atari has the CRT.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Here is another quick one, unintentionally, as it reach just under 350 million evaluations, at a distance of 7.0 and just stopped improving completely. In the past, it hasn't happened for a while, this was when an artifact error had been generated (not all the time). I didn't notice one though on Altirra. My 8-bits are in for more upgrade surgery at the moment so I can't see it on a real machine.

Bi-wings. 44 colors.

Bi-wings.png.bd3c327beb7177aa2a1d4a2d6fe611b2.png

GS_Bi-wings.xex

• Like 7

On 2/17/2022 at 12:33 AM, Beeblebrox said:

BTW @amarok and @drpeter- just wanted to share your recent conversions displayed on my B&O CRT/ A800 (S-video) which look great.:grin:

Amarok - the Toucan's colouring look amazing on a CRT, love the blue eye and claws - (and I am so glad you kept the varied green background in the conversion too btw):D:

image.thumb.png.ce0e566c6630c209cd21f4080b32da22.png

DrPeter - Loving the tree reflection especially. (I've wondered how a version without dithering might look too incidentally):

image.thumb.png.c1e7683dd2ee6badb11131d59798fb80.png

Again taking images of these CRT displays with my mobile phone camera so they look even better to the naked eye.:)

CRT FTW

I think I finally got my new Pixel 6 Pro taking decent CRT images.  I'll be posting a few to this message shortly.  Any requests, let me know.  This is from a 576NUC (NTSC) via s-video into a Sony PVM-8040, images taken with a Pixel 6 Pro.

01.thumb.jpg.6b28ed8b4790ffd0145b97f68b324514.jpg

02.thumb.jpg.9db7cee9334e235fc5c29730ea5eaf7e.jpg

03.thumb.jpg.3c5616df185829f99915614f4612037e.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.3548ead70188c7d5193d33dfe84a3c8b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Recently discovered the work of J.C. Park, a freelance concept artist and illustrator based in Seoul, South Korea. Very talented digital artist.

I actually wanted to run this for longer - but there was a complication which didn't allow me to at the time - hence the incomplete elements. Thought it worth posting.

Sci fi red rider 

1 billion evaluations

32 unique colours

Filename: Beeblebrox_Scifiredridersm1_06.xex

(Altirra image with PAL high artifacting enabled)

image.thumb.png.8866ffdad03263ad8e0c2280fedfa1dd.png

Beeblebrox_Scifiredridersm1_06.xex

Source file was reduced to 128 colours  RGB lines and saturation, contract and gamma tweaked/image resized to 320*240 in Irfanview, then processed in RC at 320*240 after a few more RC settings were tweaked

Settings used: height 200 letterbox; Filter = bilinear; pal = atari800winplus; color dis = yuv; initial state = smart; no of solutions = 20000; Threads = 9; preprocess = yuv; brightness = -2; contrast = 41; gamma = 1.4; mask value = 20

(Incidentally the pink pmg line error is something I tried to get rid of using Sheddy's error removal tool, however it couldn't get rid of it for some reason. I also tried to use the other of Sheddy's tools to centre it as it is a 320*200 image. That didn't work either unfortunately.)

on my B&O MX4000 CRT (800 S-video):

image.thumb.png.be9b13fef415b04249b0807b373d0360.png

Just for reference here is the pre-processed 128 colour source image I used:

image.thumb.png.96815e61c3e576037b94aac656b6f528.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 3

This was another I meant to run for a lot longer but due to an issue it stopped. Still like it despite it being incomplete. I may try converting this one again sometime soon.

Batman cityscape

62 million evaluations

26 unique colours

Filename: Beeblebrox_Batmancityscapesm1_01_FIXED.xex

(Altirra image with PAL high artifacting enabled)

Beeblebrox_Batmancityscapesm1_01_FIXED.thumb.jpg.6c7b04f94f77789f3d7e320024e58379.jpg

Beeblebrox_Batmancityscapesm1_01_FIXED.xex

Source file was reduced to 128 colours  RGB lines and saturation, contract and gamma tweaked/image resized to 320*240 in Irfanview, then processed in RC at 320*240 after a few more RC settings were tweaked

Settings used: height 200 letterbox; Filter = bilinear; pal = atari800winplus; color dis = yuv; initial state = smart; no of solutions = 20000; Threads = 9; preprocess = yuv; brightness = -3; contrast = 30; gamma = 0.9; mask value = 15

(Removed a few pmg line errors using Sheddy's error removal tool which worked. I also tried to use the other of Sheddy's tools to centre it as it is a 320*200 image but that didn't work unfortunately.)

on my B&O MX4000 CRT (800 S-video):

image.thumb.png.5fade0525b1f09ee78f6c350b76f0099.png

For ref the preprocessed 128 colour source image used:

image.thumb.png.c6d4c9976574bc36994dd80d4d237e11.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

Red Rider IMO would probably turn out way better if the background was simplified a whole bunch - I'd just retain the shadow at foot level then reduce above it to just 1 or 2 shades and/or dither it.

Probably also suffering in that the red doesn't seem to have a large range of luma values.

Edited by Rybags
  • Thanks 1

This one was really dark to begin with, this is as light as I could get without screwing it up. As per usual, besides zooming and cropping in Irfanview, no pre-adjustments. All adjustments done within Rastaconverter. 638 million evaluations. This is also an extremely rare letterboxed image by me, 320x192. But I had to get the entire car in and cropping and zooming to 320x240 would have cut off to much.

HotRodBeast. 33 colors.

HotRodBeast.png

GS_HotRodBeast.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 8

40 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

This one was really dark to begin with, this is as light as I could get without screwing it up. As per usual, besides zooming and cropping in Irfanview, no pre-adjustments. All adjustments done within Rastaconverter. 638 million evaluations. This is also an extremely rare letterboxed image by me, 320x192. But I had to get the entire car in and cropping and zooming to 320x240 would have cut off to much.

HotRodBeast. 33 colors.

HotRodBeast.png

GS_HotRodBeast.xex 18.1 kB · 2 downloads

Beautiful conversion - but something must have happened in the crop - the image is not vertically centered.  is this something that can hopefully be fixed without having to re-run the conversion?  Any time I have an image that needs bars, I make sure to center it on a 320*240 "canvas" with black borders.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rybags said:

Turned out nicely - good how even the reflection detail seems to be preserved (though would need to see the original)

It's pretty close to the original (320x192 resized) considering the drop in color, the original reflection is just more blurred and soft. I did some car conversions a few years back with similar chess board "flooring" and it looked a lot better, but the reflections off the "floors" in those were also much sharper reflections.

2 hours ago, drpeter said:

With @Sheddy 's tools included with RastaSlide, piece of cake:

GS_HotRodBeast_centered.xex 17.89 kB · 7 downloads

Yeah, I was going to suggest that. And thanks. I would have done this myself, but this is an image I readied for Rasta conversion...well, quite a while ago anyway, I have dozens and dozens of images readied that have not been done yet, but all prep work has, I'd just forgotten and didn't realize it was a letter-boxed image until I stopped it, saved it and loaded it up in Altirra. And because I've never used these tools before, don't know if I even downloaded them or not, because 99.9% of the time I don't need them with full-screen images. And I absolutely do not like changing the source images except for cropping/zooming for maximum detail of the subject matter in 160x240.

I never take anything out of an image, to make it convert better, if something is removed it was done in the cropping process only. I want to make all my conversion images the absolute best I can using only the settings of Rastaconverter and in the least evaluations as possible. This in itself is an artistic challenge to me, sort of like a photographer gets the best possible image he can using only adjustments of the camera and controlling the lighting and no more.

I want to get the best that Rastaconverter can do, not the best I can make it pre-conversion to make it easier on me or Rasta. That's is, has been and always will be the sole reason I do and keep doing Rastaconversions. *Otherwise I'll just use a graphic art program on the Atari to copy and image by hand, like an art student copying the works of the Masters.

---------------------------------------------------

*That's why over the years I've lamented about having a graphic art program on the Atari that can use most if not all of the features of the display as Rastaconverter. I'm slowly teaching myself programming, so if no one makes such a graphic app for the stock Atari, then I will...eventually, but it could be another 5 or 10 years before such an app comes from me.

I'm not speaking of an art program that can allow us to do on the fly what Rastaconverter does and then spits out an .xex, I know that's impossible with the limited capabilities of an A8, but an art program that leaves "markers" and designation of where and when a P/M is wanted and then the program will take the art made by the user and the "markers" the user adds, and then the image is run through the algorithm and the P/M's are added in after by the algorithm which then outputs files like Rasta that an .xex can be created from and it then creates the .xex in place of the usual graphic art save file of a usual art program. And the algorithmic process to complete the users work takes as long and works the same as Rasta converter when it converts an image. The conversion process adds in the P/M's the best it can to the users requested markers, of course the usual errors and artifacting my occur, but in that case I would use tools to correct since it my work and not another persons, even if it's a hand copy of another's I did.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Great conversion - love the detail on the tyres, chrome and also the skin tones. Good job. :) I wonder what it would look like to introduce a slight colour tint in the sky pre-processing?

I don't do changes like that, ever. I convert the original art or photo, with the only changes cropping/zooming which I only do due to the low resolution and wanting to get the most detail of the main subject matter as it is. Otherwise I'll just do my own art. I understand the average Rastaconverter fan changing things if they are not an artist, but I'll just make my own from scratch instead of changing another artist or photographers work and vision. Because I have the ability as an artist to create my own, so I don't need or want to rely on other's works and change them. It's just my personal choice and I think it's perfectly fine if others want to, but I don't. See my post above for more details on why.

23 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I don't do changes like that, ever. I convert the original art or photo, with the only changes cropping/zooming which I only do due to the low resolution and wanting to get the most detail of the main subject matter as it is. Otherwise I'll just do my own art. I understand the average Rastaconverter fan changing things if they are not an artist, but I'll just make my own from scratch instead of changing another artist or photographers work and vision. Because I have the ability as an artist to create my own, so I don't need or want to rely on other's works and change them. It's just my personal choice and I think it's perfectly fine if others want to, but I don't. See my post above for more details on why.

@Gunstar  Fair do. :grin: Looking forward to seeing your future postings. :thumbsup:

Here is an image that I must have attempted to convert dozens of times a few years ago not long after I first started doing conversions. I was doing album covers at the time. It's a hard image for Rastaconverter to crack, I never got any results that looked good, let alone my standards. This one still isn't up to my usual standards, but it is the best conversion I have gotten from this source image. I've gone back to it and tried a couple times about once a year just to see if I'm experienced enough to finally pull it off with Rasta.

This one is good enough comparatively, that it's time to share and put this ghost to bed. The misty red background never gets any better than what you see there, but the main subject matter is pretty good, I'd hoped a little more of the shading detail around the horses head and neck had come out better, but there's not much more there in the source or destination anyway. High contrast is absolutely needed for this picture and it takes away the subtle detail in the horse's shading from the original image too.

I ran it up to a billion evaluations, but I had saved a version at about 650 million. Errors were introduced and the image had absolutely no significant improvement at 1 billion comparing side-by-side. So here is the first version I saved.

Steve Miller Band. 68 colors.

SteveMillerBand.png.194c9367f02dc596beef3cf1d70c15ba.png

GS_SteveMillerBand.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 9

On 2/27/2022 at 1:37 AM, Stephen said:

I think I finally got my new Pixel 6 Pro taking decent CRT images.  I'll be posting a few to this message shortly.  Any requests, let me know.  This is from a 576NUC (NTSC) via s-video into a Sony PVM-8040, images taken with a Pixel 6 Pro.

03.thumb.jpg.3c5616df185829f99915614f4612037e.jpg

Could you send me somehow this picture in high res?