IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

2 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

I can repeat what I wrote some time ago (with some typos fixed)...
"GravityWorm_QFG01.xex is not only the most colorful out of my images posted here, but also most up voted image here...
Interesting. I'm not proud. I almost deleted it. I worked on in so long. I started several times from scratch...
I only posted it because I do not have time and post old unfinished photos recently...
Interesting that U like it so much!"

I've had a few I've almost deleted as well that had decent to good response when I decided to upload them. I've had some that I thought were good enough to post, but weren't up to the standards I usually try to reach, and they are some of people's favorites of mine with posts of praise and the largest number of downloads. Of course there have been many that I thought were really good and other's agreed, as well as the opposite too. 

Yeah, I've been digging up a few recently too, that I never posted, but never deleted either. I come across them while looking for other images and decide they don't look half bad after not seeing them for months or years and not directly comparing them to the originals or destination images which made me not thing they were good enough in the first place. 

There are many images that don't get nearly as close to the destination as I'd like (most never will), but if you evaluate them on their own merit, as an Atari 8-bit graphic image, they look ok when you aren't seeing details in the destination and comparing. And are still stunning for the Atari 8-bit. That's why you never see me posting the original images, unless someone specifically asks for it, or the Rasta window showing source, output and destination side-by-side, because I want people to evaluate and judge the images strictly in the vein of Atari graphic art and not in comparison to the original image or a 256 color version. After all, while we have half that, 128 colors, and it's possible to have them all on screen (I managed with a NTSC version of corral reefs a few years back, IIRC) the average number of colors in my experience is around 64. So you end up half the horizontal resolution and one quarter the colors of the destination image. So 256 color palette and on-screen colors at any-point-any-color is still tough to compete with.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I've had a few I've almost deleted as well that had decent to good response when I decided to upload them. I've had some that I thought were good enough to post, but weren't up to the standards I usually try to reach, and they are some of people's favorites of mine with posts of praise and the largest number of downloads. Of course there have been many that I thought were really good and other's agreed, as well as the opposite too. 

Yeah, I've been digging up a few recently too, that I never posted, but never deleted either. I come across them while looking for other images and decide they don't look half bad after not seeing them for months or years and not directly comparing them to the originals or destination images which made me not thing they were good enough in the first place. 

There are many images that don't get nearly as close to the destination as I'd like (most never will), but if you evaluate them on their own merit, as an Atari 8-bit graphic image, they look ok when you aren't seeing details in the destination and comparing. And are still stunning for the Atari 8-bit. That's why you never see me posting the original images, unless someone specifically asks for it, or the Rasta window showing source, output and destination side-by-side, because I want people to evaluate and judge the images strictly in the vein of Atari graphic art and not in comparison to the original image or a 256 color version. After all, while we have half that, 128 colors, and it's possible to have them all on screen (I managed with a NTSC version of corral reefs a few years back, IIRC) the average number of colors in my experience is around 64. So you end up half the horizontal resolution and one quarter the colors of the destination image. So 256 color palette and on-screen colors at any-point-any-color is still tough to compete with.

I assume that UR talking about 320x200 VGA?
Comparing Atari 8 bit graphics to VGA U should compare a CRT TV screen to CRT monitor (bigger contrast, pixels better divided, pixels better visible).
Also Atari 8-bit is out of 70s, and VGA out of 80s (as far as I remember). CGA is also out of 80s (81, but still..)..

11 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

I assume that UR talking about 320x200 VGA?
Comparing Atari 8 bit graphics to VGA U should compare a CRT TV screen to CRT monitor (bigger contrast, pixels better divided, pixels better visible).
Also Atari 8-bit is out of 70s, and VGA out of 80s (as far as I remember). CGA is also out of 80s (81, but still..)..

Exactly the opposite, my entire post was describing why I WON'T compare the output.png and image.xex to the VGA equivalents. The fact that some consider comparing Rasta images to the VGA destinations says something about the graphic quality of an 8-bit from 1979 (which I'd hardly classify as a "70's" computer anyway; if the launch of the 400/800 had been a couple months later, it would have been probably the first 80's computer. The engineering of the 400/800 might be considered late 70's, but still arguably better than 8-bits with the same or similar CPU's that were engineered in the early 80's, so really the tech is state-of-the-art and then bench-mark standard half way between decades

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 5:56 AM, Gunstar said:

Exactly the opposite, my entire post was describing why I WON'T compare the output.png and image.xex to the VGA equivalents. The fact that some consider comparing Rasta images to the VGA destinations says something about the graphic quality of an 8-bit from 1979 (which I'd hardly classify as a "70's" computer anyway; if the launch of the 400/800 had been a couple months later, it would have been probably the first 80's computer. The engineering of the 400/800 might be considered late 70's, but still arguably better than 8-bits with the same or similar CPU's that were engineered in the early 80's, so really the tech is state-of-the-art and then bench-mark standard half way between decades

I agree in 100% Even if U make A8 a '80 computer, VGA was released in '87 an was also damn expensive. My first computer was a PC with CGA/Hercules. Most of the game developers used first CGA palette (cyan magenta white, back) . My cousin had an A8 in that time, much better colors an many more compared to a CGA...

3 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

The artifact is not present on an real hardware.
mkolodziejski from Atarionline.pl helpled...

Zrzut ekranu 2022-06-14 o 18.24.45.jpg

There is a two-colour-clock timing discrepancy in the colour-register-update-to-taking-effect-on-screen delay in the Atari800 exact-cycle-counting code, introduced between Ver 1.3.6 and 2.00.  That is responsible for this artefact appearing in the post-1.3.6 emulators (and the Atari800Win versions derived from them.)

The fault is not with RastaConverter, which like Altirra would seem to have the timings correct.

I will raise a bug report with the Atari800 team.

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, drpeter said:

There is a two-colour-clock timing discrepancy in the colour-register-update-to-taking-effect-on-screen delay in the Atari800 exact-cycle-counting code, introduced between Ver 1.3.6 and 2.00.  That is responsible for this artefact appearing in the post-1.3.6 emulators (and the Atari800Win versions derived from them.)

The fault is not with RastaConverter, which like Altirra would seem to have the timings correct.

Awesome!
And thank them for the awesome work they do! It's the best Atari 800/400 emulator for GNU/Linux...

Edited by GravityWorm
typo
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, drpeter said:

Dune. 

I'd appreciate someone doing this game for the Atari. 

The result would be  extraordinary, as the Atari has a lot features that fit to the FX of the full game.

Just like the 256 color palette and Palette FX plus the POKEY 4 channel marvel ;)

Fitting tune to the image

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cray-1 series S. 70 colors.

There's nothing spectacular about the Rasta conversion, and after downloading a couple dozen photos of the subject matter, I realized none of them would make a spectacular Rasta conversion. This is purely for the subject matter of the famous super computer line.

Cray1S.png.02ca662d18d43d0830840de884dd9b31.png

GS_Cray1S.xex

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Cray-1 series S. 70 colors.

There's nothing spectacular about the Rasta conversion, and after downloading a couple dozen photos of the subject matter, I realized none of them would make a spectacular Rasta conversion. This is purely for the subject matter of the famous super computer line.

Cray1S.png.02ca662d18d43d0830840de884dd9b31.png

GS_Cray1S.xex 22.08 kB · 0 downloads

Cool conversion.  Very strange timing too, as 2 tabs to the left of this I have a video queued up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9kobkqAicU

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Cool conversion.  Very strange timing too, as 2 tabs to the left of this I have a video queued up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9kobkqAicU

I guess this year marks it's 46 birthday since that video is from 2006. But I could have sworn it was first released around 1966 which would have made it 56...but maybe that was a predecessor to the Cray-1 I am recalling.

Edited by Gunstar

The Cray company only came into existence in 1972, Cray 1 released in 1976.

Nice looking machine - I've in the past worked in mainframe support, with machines and peripherals generally from around late 1970s to early 2000s.

There's been a lot of fashionable looking computers - I do suspect though a lot of it comes down to marketing.  You need all the help you can get when trying to convince someone to buy something into the millions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rybags said:

The Cray company only came into existence in 1972, Cray 1 released in 1976.

Nice looking machine - I've in the past worked in mainframe support, with machines and peripherals generally from around late 1970s to early 2000s.

There's been a lot of fashionable looking computers - I do suspect though a lot of it comes down to marketing.  You need all the help you can get when trying to convince someone to buy something into the millions.

I was misremembering the Cray-1's age due to the CDC machines from the 60's time line that Seymore had invented/designed at Control Data.