IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Gorgeous image. Love the water reflection and yellow/pink sky. 

I wonder if - and this is just a tiny suggestion - the grey Taj M colours could be taken down a little in luminance? IMHO the light grey I reckon would look better in the archway bit if it were slightly darker. :)

Screenshot_20230106_085351.jpg

Edited by Beeblebrox

On 1/4/2023 at 10:48 AM, mistapaul said:

Football 3.5 billion people can't be wrong

I refer you to my signature area below on how I feel about that statement.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ClausB said:

Where is this from? Google searches come up empty.

Try doing a search for "Wally Wood Rocket."

Let me tell you a story about a secret project by the USAF started in 1952 that "never existed" which included Wernher von Braun, Einstein (until he died in '55) and some other unknown scientists, and alien tech recovered, about a "time rocket" that used a combination of Braun's rocket tech, tech based on Einstein's time-space and gravity well theories and a "mechanism" made that supposedly created an artificial gravity well that slowed down time around the ship and alien tech and fuel that allowed the ship to reach distant stars in a very short amount of time (for the ship and occupants* within the artificial gravity well) thus "bypassing" the need for faster-than-light travel. The rocket was supposed to have been secretly launched in 1958, destination Alpha Centauri. Braun's rocket tech was supposedly only meant for landing at the destination planet and supposedly used booster rockets of Braun's to take off from the earth, similar to the Space Shuttle. Of course this is just a science fiction story that I just made up.

*One man and one woman.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Let me tell you a story about a secret project by the USAF started in 1952 that "never existed" which included Wernher von Braun, Einstein (until he died in '55) and some other unknown scientists, and alien tech recovered, about a "time rocket" that used a combination of Braun's rocket tech, tech based on Einstein's time-space and gravity well theories and a "mechanism" made that supposedly created an artificial gravity well that slowed down time around the ship and alien tech and fuel that allowed the ship to reach distant stars in a very short amount of time (for the ship and occupants* within the artificial gravity well) thus "bypassing" the need for faster-than-light travel. The rocket was supposed to have been secretly launched in 1958, destination Alpha Centauri. Braun's rocket tech was supposedly only meant for landing at the destination planet and supposedly used booster rockets of Braun's to take off from the earth, similar to the Space Shuttle. Of course this is just a science fiction story that I just made up.

*One man and one woman.

Nope, Fox Mulder will believe you. Tell him about a place he could visit to find more evidence that your story is true. He will be there tomorrow... and if you are lucky, Scully will be there as well. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Nope, Fox Mulder will believe you. Tell him about a place he could visit to find more evidence that your story is true. He will be there tomorrow... and if you are lucky, Scully will be there as well. 

The truth is out there...no, really, you can find lots of declassified stuff on the FBI website since all the UFO stuff was declassified by the U.S. a few years ago. Though you have to dig through literally tens of thousands of files that are totally uncorrelated on purpose. But interesting files from there do pop up in other places once in a while from people who actually have sifted through some stuff there.

But as I clearly stated, it was fiction that I just made up. I just like to come up with background stories for images I convert once in a while to entertain myself and possibly others. I generally do this as sometimes I sit there watching conversions to see how they are going and my imagination gets going. But that's what artists and writers sometimes do when we are inspired, and I am both. When I posted this image I decided not to include my fictional story, until @ClausB asked my source, then I decided what the hell. Though this is only the second time I've actually posted a background story for a conversion in this thread, If you do a search for Wally Wood as I suggested, you will find this image and a biography on Wikipedia about him. He was a comic cartoonist and artist.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

If I've not said it before Happy new year converters! ;)

Some great new images already for 2023 from you.

So as you'll probably recall I've posted conversions of this image a few times. First in May and then in July last year.

As a reminder it's Bean, Elfo and Luci from Disenchantment sitting on the castle tower balcony, drowning their sorrows. 

It's one of my own personal favourites because of the colours so not surprising I've come back to it. I still wasn't happy with some of the elements of the last attempt in July, so I thought what the hell, one more attempt can't hurt.

This time round I stuck with the horizontally flipped image but dropped the original source image to 128 colours from the original 256 and increased the contrast and saturation a little in both the source image and RC settings. Colours are a little darker this time around. 

Result is that the errors I had in Bean's face from July which was too pink, and some errors in her upper body/neck, which had banding, IMHO is improved. As has some grey banding on her boots and also some stone wall definition behind Elfo. 

Granted the new conversion has introduced some horizontal banding in her legs and elsewhere, and changes to the sky. And the definition on Luci's little black legs and shadow isn't as good as before -  but I am not too bothered.

It was the former errors from previous conversion I wanted to see if I could improve on, the main area being Bean's face/neck which now at least isn't mostly pink/washed out, and distinguishes itself from her hair. Just wasn't happy with it last year.

I know - I've been rather obsessive with this image heh heh.:D

This time round I ran this one a very long time (near 20 billion evaluations). Got down to a norm distance of 191.

There is also a few side by side comparisons of the July 21 attempt and this new one to highlight the improvements.

The final unique colour count has dropped from July 2021's 101 colours to 98 colours. Very pleased it's still near the 100 mark.:)

19.5 bill evaluations

98 unique colours

Mask used

320*240 - Fixed with Sheddy's tools (where it wasn't able to remove all the HPOS line errors but it did remove one glaring black HPOS error which was ruining it)

(image grab from Altirra with pal high artifacting enabled)

image.thumb.jpeg.2499956f740a1625c81875714f1d20e9.jpeg

Beeblebrox_DisenchantmentTowerssm4_128colours_11_Fixed.xex

Here is the comparison from July 2021's conversion on the left and the new one on the right (click image to expand):

image.thumb.jpeg.37e07af052c707c58e2852184baf1f0d.jpeg

and the areas I highlight in the red circles it has improved IMHO, (again click image to expand):

image.thumb.jpeg.d678e5e3f524a7501abb118784978d55.jpeg

Here is the source image BTW:

image.png.6575cdd03ce026c68ed0514390cb49f0.png

And the destination image:

image.png.7ea0090dd462475f6f938a8f6286098c.png

@Philsan @Stephen  would love to see this on your ol school CRTs if you have the inclination. ;)  (Not got mine hooked up at the mo.)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 5

On 1/6/2023 at 9:58 PM, thank you said:

somebody should do something like this, so we can re-post it every time the soccer/football/futbol/handegg argument comes up on atariage  :)

https://icdn.juvefc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/red-card.jpg

Nice red paint swatch! What room are you going to paint that color? Or is that for the exterior of your house?:-o

We prefer yellow cloths called flags, with a wrapped  bundle on the end, so they can be tossed onto the field. And these days with referees throwing them so much, red would make the field look like a blood bath! So it's a good thing!

AuK3Ue3.jpg.2945e48bfe515d2f1135a22f213f97dd.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Haha 2

Glacier Lake, Glacier N.P. U.S. 81 colors.

Note: sky colors blend much better in the .xex 

I also just noticed that there are some errors showing in the .xex on the lower third of the the mountain.They are the blue line segments. Since I've yet to use the tools to fix these, if someone can help me out I would appreciate it, for this one. I'm going to finally learn how to do it for myself this evening as I'm running and planning to run a lot more National Park images from around the world.

GS_GlacierLakeNP.png.666acdc401e86c824db270ed66427d28.png

GS_GlacierLakeNP.xex

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 9

On 1/11/2023 at 1:12 AM, drpeter said:

A bit tricky, the lower one had to be done by hand...

GS_GlacierLakeNP_drpeter_fix.xex 20.06 kB · 13 downloads

Thank you @drpeter. I have one more favor to ask you, or anyone else that might see this reply before you; can you provide a link or attach the file for the tools to do these fixes? I thought I had downloaded them ages ago, I'm sure I did, but I can't find the file(s) where I should have put them, among my RC files (or folder/files that might be them) as I've no idea what they were called to start a search on my PC or here on AA A8 forums or this thread. Thanks again!

Edited by Gunstar

20 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Thank you @drpeter. I have one more favor to ask you, or anyone else that might see this reply before you; can you provide a link or attach the file for the tools to do these fixes? I thought I had downloaded them ages ago, I'm sure I did, but I can't find the file(s) where I should have put them, among my RC files (or folder/files that might be them) as I've no idea what they were called to start a search on my PC or here on AA A8 forums or this thread. Thanks again!

If you mean Sheddy's tool here ya go :D:

It's currently version 3.3. Unzip it all to a folder.

The HPOS removal tool is in the generator folder. You drag your chosen RC XEX file to it in Windows (it's called try to fix HPOS artefacts.bat). It initiates a command line program which  - where possible - removes any HPOS errors. Once done hit space bar to close the command line window.

You can then take the output.xex it creates in the same folder and rename it.

If you are working on a 320x200 file and then wish to centre it, first drag the output.xex it created - (if you initially ran the HPOS tool OR the original file if not) - to the Disassemble.bat. It will disassemble it in a command line window which then closes automatically. Then just double click on the build centred output.bat and it will run a command line to reassemble it and overwrite the output.xex with the centered XEX.

Take the output.XEX and rename it.

image.png.5a5a4acf1bea1c75ec254947c3537f4e.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@BeeblebroxLOL! That's why I couldn't find it! I have Sheddy's Rastaslide files right were they are supposed to be, but I've never gotten around to trying to use it and I either didn't know or forgot that that program has the tools for fixing .xex's! I thought they were two separate programs/utilities! Thank you very much for straightening me out! And thanks for the tips on using it! 

It turns out I needed the link anyway, as what I had on my PC was version 3.0.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 1:12 AM, drpeter said:

A bit tricky, the lower one had to be done by hand...

GS_GlacierLakeNP_drpeter_fix.xex 20.06 kB · 14 downloads

I forgot to mention that this is a mirror image of the real photo to get better detail I couldn't achieve with the original orientation. Actually @drpeter, many images I've done since you joined the topic/forum are mirrored, as you taught me the limitations to the left screen half compared to the right, and there's more cycle time for the display list changes to occur on the right to make color changes, or something vaguely to that effect, I need to re-read all of that "tutorial" you post here sometime back. Or was it another thread?

I usually don't mention it much unless a specific reason I need to tell comes up. But I felt it necessary for these photos of landmark National Park landscaped from all around the world, to tell,  if it's a mirror image or not.

The conversion I have running on this PC now, is also mirrored. It's of Cradle Mountain N.P. Tasmania.

EDIT: By the way, I am not trying to do a run of national park landscape photo's (or paintings) from all over the world. I just did a search along those lines and images that caught my for personal pleasure or because I thought they might convert well with Rastaconverter I saved. And I'm sure some I chose will never make the final cut, but I'll collect more when I've attempted what I have.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3