IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

• 3 months later...

Kept my laptop busy today as I've not needed to be on it much :)

; ----------------------------------
; RastaConverter by Ilmenit v.Beta7
; InputName: budokan.png
; CmdLine: /i=budokan.png /s=6000 /distance=ciede /predistance=ciede /pal=olivierp /init=less
; Evaluations: 84279596
; Score: 0.587595
; ----------------------------------
I'm letting it continue as the odd bits around the skyline will hopefully resolve.
In some ways, doctoring the original slightly can help... e.g. I took out the image of the player from the original screenshot.
Regards,
Mark

post-1822-0-23002400-1410035960_thumb.png

Wrathchild_C64_Budokan_Dojo.xex

post-1822-0-35700800-1410036357_thumb.png

Edited by Wrathchild
  • Like 3

Sorry for a noob question but how do I convert a png generated from rastaconverter to XEX or ATR format? Is there a way of converting the data to a .s file for later inclusion in an a8 game I'm planning to write?

Of course, I need to post an image (themz the rules!) below is an image (original from www.wall-hd.com)

Being a noob and generally not paying attention I converted the thumbnail of the image not the big hd version so I'm currently processing that now.

barnsey123 skull2

Would appreciate any response (PM me if you don't wanna pollute this thread)...thanks.

There should be a "build.bat" file in the "\Generator" subdir of RastaConverter. Copy all output*.* files to that subdirectory and execute the build.bat. It will compile your picture into output.xex. I can't remember whether the compiler itself is included into the RC.zip.

I merged the picture with my game by simply including the "no_name.asq" file into the source and tweaking it a bit in order to not quit to DOS on keypress but to start the game.

Thanks rafal...appreciated.

OK...now some pics

In the helmet picture there is some artefacting which I probably need to remove by tidying up the original picture

post-31236-0-21654500-1410352175_thumb.png

barnsey123-viking-helmet1.xex

The skull picture (see prev post) after running for about 50m iterations, I think I need to add some noise in the top right of picture.

barnsey123-skull1.xex

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gifLighthouse.jpgattachicon.gifoutput.png

This is an image that was on my PC when I bought it. This is also my first attempt to upload attachments,we'll see if I've managed it correctly. I let this run a long time (over 30 mil) but the artifact in the sky to right of the trees never resolved.

attachicon.gifLIGHTHOUSE.xex

Nice picture, it has picked out the lighthouse well.

As for the iterations, I sometimes let them go for a billion iterations. Just make sure that you lower the priority of the Rastaconverter process so that you can get on with other work on your computer, then leave it running for a few days. There's always something in the picture which needs improving, even then.

Thanks for the tip. I copy a separate Rasta folder for each pic I attempt, so I can always continue. I haven't got the hang of adding a mask, I don't have many graphics tools on my PC. Not sure if it would help on this pic.

Keeping a separate folder for each picture is a good idea, this is something I've started to do recently.

As for the mask, I've not used it many times but I have used it. Do you have Windows installed? If so, you can use "Paint" / "MSPaint" in order to create your mask. If I remember correctly, you have to have white for where you want it to concentrate its efforts and black where you don't. No other colours are permitted. The details are in the instructions file.

Personally I wouldn't use a mask on your picture. It has picked up the most prominent part of the picture (the building). The only part missing is the details in the rocks, which will never be great on the A8 anyway.

I tend to think that masks are needed when you have something like a real life picture of a person. It's important that their face is accurate but not so important that their left trouser leg or the tree in the background is accurate.

Sometimes it's good to run a few instances of RC in parallel. The optimization is semi-random process that finds sub-optimal solution.Due to this randomness there can be different allocation of color registers and sprites in different runs and keeping just a single instance for very long time don't guarantee the best result. What can help is using the /s parameter that increases the search space. This however makes the process longer.

Nice pic. But the terrain needs a luma boost in photoshop, looks like the detail is being lost because the area in shadow (ie most of it) translates to the lowest Atari luma values.

That's a straight import. Just one without dither, the upper one is using KNOLL dither.

The picture seems to be done for the A8 ;)

post-2756-0-23746800-1413980110_thumb.jpg

I asked a similar question 2 about years ago... isn't it possible to add a "line specific" dither method?

Edited by emkay