IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Much better. Also there's much better depth perception of the terrain than most of the others.

The method is simple.

1st step is to put the original picture though all different dither filters (and without)

Let them progress to a level where you get the perception of what ranges work best with the used dither method .

Then use the destination pictures and copy all "good" parts into one picture.

Use the resulting picture as source for a new conversion job and without dither.

I've not checked in for several days and was surprised to find the lighthouse had attracted so much interest. I'm glad people had some fun improving it. Emkay, your method of cycling destination pics sounds like a good way to optimize results but stitching various parts of pictures together without advanced graphics tools is a bit fiddly. Not terribly hard, but it takes a little patience. I'll give it a try on some troublesome pics when I have time.

On another subject- I've only really scanned through this thread so I apologize if this has been discussed before, but it occurs to me that some kind of Rasta slide show program would be useful. An A8 prog that would link Rasta XEX files so they would run one at a time in a chain. Don't know how doable that is, certainly beyond my pitiful programming abilities!

• Like 3

I've not checked in for several days and was surprised to find the lighthouse had attracted so much interest. I'm glad people had some fun improving it. Emkay, your method of cycling destination pics sounds like a good way to optimize results but stitching various parts of pictures together without advanced graphics tools is a bit fiddly. Not terribly hard, but it takes a little patience. I'll give it a try on some troublesome pics when I have time.

Things could get easier , if a function had been added to the converter. Something similar to the "Detail" masking, a "Dither" masking could do miracles.

So everywhere the mask is drawn, the content wouldn't get additional transitions. The Atari HAS 128 colours , which means, you don't need dither, where the colours get close to the original and details need to be kept. Dither is well on parts of the picture where details were low, and colours need combinations, to fill the colour gaps.

The dither methods also have a colour bug, where a calculated brightness is aimed brighter than it actually is.

The converter is actually running on two other examples to make the point more clear ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi to all.

I saw this one at FormatWar and it seems impossible to A8 this C16/Plus4 picture.

It seems their normal bitmap multicolour mode that is 2 own colour per char and 2 the same for all screen (C64 its 3+1) but from their forum they talk in FLI mode that seems like these same on C64, maybe its, seeing the picture, something like same all screen [00] (like ours BAK colour register) and changing others registers vertically in char steps.

I never got "How To?" and also my P.C. seems too too slow to run and get anything from Raster Converter.

It has 247scanlines high and better if its vertically chars alligned then better to cut the 7scanlines at the bottom.

As I said it seems impossible but at least and for a start the colour/luminances are very very equal to the A8 ones and also the same 2x1 pixel ratio.

Anyone interested and up to the challenge?

:-P

Thanks.

:-)

post-6517-0-43921800-1420502892_thumb.gif

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

Plus 4 has a much better ability to handle colours, you can use hires with all 127 colours .... this is far superior to the A8...

Anyone interested and up to the challenge?

Forget "Rastaconverter". You never get a fair result of available colours and details.

Better try this one:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231181-move-along-folks-nothing-to-see-here/

That pic might be done best if customized to utilize PMG ORing using greyscale for PF colours and PM to add colour.

The customizing being scaling the pic such that colour bleedover is minimized.

Yes, Plus4 can throw its colours around with more flexibility than most other 8-bit machines but at quite some CPU cost in many cases, and no sprites penalizes it further.

But for static pics, pretty hard to beat.

And there's nice hardware exploits like H/V overscan (OK, we get that for free) and 480i type interlace.

Edited by Rybags

That pic might be done best if customized to utilize PMG ORing using greyscale for PF colours and PM to add colour.

The customizing being scaling the pic such that colour bleedover is minimized.

Charmode with reduced height could also help. Together with PRIOR 0 overlay, all that banding could be avoided.

Rastaconverter is an interesting tool for some cases of images.

The picture, Philsan posted, shows the old bugs... no change... Due to the usage of that "hill climbing" calculations, it produces wrong colours, where the A8 could easlily place the right colour. In complex /noisy pictures, you don't recognize that.

I love these four pictures from Amiga Agony game:) Can anyone to convert it, please, to the xex files?

I'm sorry but this computer hasn't enough processing power to do the conversions.

I noticed your pictures are already dithered. I wonder if that will adversely affect the conversions.

I found some original artwork here. If the link doesn't work then Google with keywords "amiga agony game original artwork".

-SteveS

p.s. Thank you to everyone who perfoms the conversions. They are very enjoyable.

p.p.s. Please don't forget about those of us with NTSC machines. A few pics using OlivierN.act palette would be appreciated.

Edited by a8isa1

I noticed your pictures are already dithered. I wonder if that will adversely affect the conversions.

The pictures were built on the EHB mode of the Amiga. This means 64 colours at 320x256. Very hard to convert to the A8.

Particular the picture with the Dragon and the Waterfall I dropped in the past, because the banding destroys the view of the waterfall fully.

What disturbs "my fun" with Rastaconverter is that it somehow destroys the relevant details of an image. So in a thumbnail, it resembles the original, but sometimes you don't see the image, when it goes fullscreen.

post-2756-0-04200200-1421356179_thumb.png

Some years ago I made this conversion... which keeps the image also in fullscreen

post-2756-0-10324300-1421356324_thumb.png

Let's wait for the Rastaconverter result...

agone.xex

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1